Historical Info for Historical Fiction Readers discussion

Bits and Bobs > Requests for Reviews

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Debra (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:30AM) (new)

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 957 comments Mod
Authors, feel free to use this thread to ask for historical book reviews. Readers should respond as a reply directly to the author here, giving the author the opportunity to look at the reader's/reviewer's GR page. The author will then be responsible for providing a copy (print or ebook) to the reviewer as you both agree. The reviewer will provide an honest review, and the author will accept it as is. The review should be posted on Goodreads and Amazon.

I hope this is an enjoyable and helpful feature!

message 2: by Diana (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:38AM) (new)

Diana Jackson (dianamj) | 10 comments Thanks Debra My second novel Ancasta - Guide me Swiftly Home is set near Southampton between 1910 and 1920. The forward has been written by a local historian. It will be launched on 7th July as a real book, an e version and on Kindle. I would be very happy to reciprocate with a review on my blog or set up a round robin tour of perhaps half a dozen of us. Is anyone else interested? my blog is www.dianamj.wordpress.com

message 3: by Debra (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:49AM) (new)

That sounds like a great idea, Diana. I am very focused on my WIP right now, but when it is ready to go, I will join in something like that. I will start a thread for that right now, and would you please mention it there? I would be happy to host on my personal blog, but it is English history(English Epochs 101) so the posts would need to match that theme.

message 4: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 15, 2012 01:35PM) (new)

Lindsey Brooks | 12 comments Debbie, Thanks very much for adding this to the group. I'm sure many authors will find it helpful, and I hope I will be one of the first. I am Lindsey Brooks and have only recently joined Goodreads and this group, though I am a regular visitor to Debra Brown's blogs.
I hope someone may be interested in reading and reviewing my Regency Romance e-novel "A Noble Regard", published in April this year and currently available on all of the usual on-line outlets. I have just added the book to the Goodreads database, so I won't take up space by including the publisher's outline here. Please note there are no graphic descriptions of sex in the story and, unlike some other modern Regencies, very little reference to it at all.
I can provide pdf (Adobe Reader) or prc (Kindle/Mobi) copies, or MS Word for anyone who still uses an old-fashioned desktop computer, like me.:)
If anyone would like to give it a try just send me a PM with your name and e-mail address and let me know which format you would prefer.
Once again, thanks for the opportunity, Debbie.

message 5: by Lara (new)

Lara Biyuts (larabiyuts) | 8 comments Hello. I need a review for my latest release A Handful of Blossoms by Lara Biyuts To a reviewer, I can email a PDF or Word copy. I can reciprocate, to the best of my abilites, sharing a positive review here on Goodreads or LinkedIn. Thanks.
Debbie, thank you for this section.

message 6: by Prue (new)

Prue | 11 comments I'm happy to provide a Kindle copy of Gisborne: Book of Pawns (twelfth century intrigue and subtle romance) for review for Goodreads and Amazon. Contact me at pruebatten@netspace.net.au
Thanks so much Debbie, for providing this facility.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Hays-Gibbs (lindahaysgibbs) | 16 comments I was wondering if historical reviews had reviewers for historical fiction romance or paranormal novels? The problems for reviews that are historical, (maybe set in the regency period or the early sixties in America), are they will not have real people but use historical facts for the storyline. The difference is obvious, but my question is, will you be reviewing this type of book here too?
Linda Hays-Gibbs
My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Brooks | 12 comments It's just my opinion, Linda, but if a story has a historical setting, I don't see why not. Not all that many members seem interested however. I have only had one response to my request so far. Perhaps I should have made it clearer that a review doesn't have to go into detail unless the reviewer wants it that way. A simple "liked it" or "disliked it" would be more than satisfactory, either way.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) Normally I would jump on offering to review the books, but I currently have a backlog. If you can wait for the review to occur in 6-8 weeks, then I'd be willing to do this for you.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Hays-Gibbs (lindahaysgibbs) | 16 comments That sounds Great to me. I would wait for you to review it. What email do I send the book? Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Linda Hays-Gibbs

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Hays-Gibbs (lindahaysgibbs) | 16 comments My email is Rosedru@aol.com send address
For review of "My Angel, My Light As Darkness Falls"
Linda Hays-Gibbs

message 12: by Darcy (last edited Jun 10, 2012 07:44PM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) Excellent!
My email is:
requests AT bookwormsbuffet DOT net

message 13: by Lara (new)

Lara Biyuts (larabiyuts) | 8 comments D, I can be waiting too, and I shall email my request to you, without fail.

message 14: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) Great! I'm looking forward to reading them both. :)

message 15: by Debra (new)

I will tweet this page, and others can do so, to let others know that the reviews are wanted. Reviewers can decide what they might want to review. :)

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo Butler (joannbutler) | 4 comments "I was wondering if historical reviews had reviewers for historical fiction romance or paranormal novels?"
Linda Hays-Gibbs

Linda, the Historical Novel Society reviews paranormals, romances, and even non-fiction books as long as they are "historical." I reviewed one book set in the 60s, so I guess that date qualifies.

Cheers, Jo Ann Butler

message 17: by Prue (new)

Prue | 11 comments Happy to offer a free Kindle copy of Gisborne: Book of Pawns Gisborne Book of Pawns (Gisborne, #1) by Prue Batten to any reader who may be interested in reviewing for Goodreads and for Amazon.

message 18: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (darlene_williams) | 8 comments Prue wrote: "Happy to offer a free Kindle copy of Gisborne: Book of Pawns [bookcover:Gisborne: Book of Pawns] to any reader who may be interested in reviewing for Goodreads and for Amazon."

Hi Prue: See my message. Darlene

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Hays-Gibbs (lindahaysgibbs) | 16 comments D wrote: "Normally I would jump on offering to review the books, but I currently have a backlog. If you can wait for the review to occur in 6-8 weeks, then I'd be willing to do this for you."

I would love to offer my book for a review. Where do I send it? Thank you.
RoseDru@aol.com
Linda Hays-Gibbs

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) Hi Linda,
You've sent this to me for review already. I'll let you know once I've read it where I've posted the review :)

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess Hughes | 14 comments Hello,
I would like two people to review my historical, THE SIGN OF THE EAGLE. I will send the first two who respond a free signed copy. Let me know if you are interested. I will send you an email address where you contact me and give me address to send the copies. I would like the reviews to appear on either Amazon or Barnes & Noble as well as Goodreads.

message 22: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (darlene_williams) | 8 comments Jess wrote: "Hello,
I would like two people to review my historical, THE SIGN OF THE EAGLE. I will send the first two who respond a free signed copy. Let me know if you are interested. I will send you an email ..."

Hi Jess: Just read the preview and would like to review for you if you wish. I review in the order of requests, so it might take a bit but it will get done! I post on Amazon, Goodreads and my review blog. I have sneaky feeling we might have talked about this before. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I talk to so many people about reviews. Anyhow, let me know. Regards, Darlene Williams

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess Hughes | 14 comments If you would go to the following email address: steveandliz41@comcast.net and leave your address, I will send you a copy.
Jess
Darlene wrote: "Jess wrote: "Hello,
I would like two people to review my historical, THE SIGN OF THE EAGLE. I will send the first two who respond a free signed copy. Let me know if you are interested. I will send ..."

I would like two people to review my historical, THE SIGN OF THE EAGLE. I will send the first two who respond a free signed copy. Let me know if you are interested. I will send ..."

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom (tomgething) Hello, I have just published Under a False Flag, a novel about the 1973 coup in Chile. I would happily provide either a kindle or paperback copy to a prospective reviewer. Contact me if interested. Thanks.

message 25: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (darlene_williams) | 8 comments Jess wrote: "If you would go to the following email address: steveandliz41@comcast.net and leave your address, I will send you a copy.
Jess
I would like two people to review ..."

Just sent the email.

message 26: by Debra (new)

I'll tweet for reviewers.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Purcell I'm very caught up in my WIP at the moment but if anyone wants to email a Word doc of their book to me I'll be happy to review (albeit slowly!) laura@grayhaze.com

message 28: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 29 comments I have historical fiction on the life of Chinggis or Genghis Khan.
Happy to send an ebook for Kindle or EPUB, or a PDF or Word doc - of the first, or both if you're keen.

Amgalant One: The Old Ideal
Amgalant Two: Tribal Brawls

cheers
Bryn

message 29: by Caroline (last edited Aug 26, 2012 02:51PM) (new)

Caroline Wilson (oldhousejunkie) | 2 comments If anyone has a historical fiction novel with romantic elements and needs a review, I would be happy to oblige provided the setting is of interest to me. I read 17th century through early 20th century, particularly American or European settings. If you can reciporcate and read my own novel, that would be fabulous! Send me a message as I often get lost in trying to follow up in the threads.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda Hays-Gibbs (lindahaysgibbs) | 16 comments Caroline wrote: "If anyone needs a review, I would be happy to oblige provided the setting is of interest to me (I read 17th century through early 20th century, particularly American or European settings). I also t..."

I would be honored if you would review my book. Please tell me your email and I will send.
Linda Hays-Giibs
RoseDru@aol.com

message 31: by ceeeeg (new)

ceeeeg | 2 comments i totally missed this thread when i was familiarizing myself with this group...Linda, your post here alerted me to it through the notifications system, so thanks for that...

life has intruded in a big way on my leisure time here in the last couple of days and i am likely to remain somewhat tangled in it, but as i can, reading, as it always is, is my comfort and a welcome distraction...

mind, this is not a shameless bid to jump on Caroline's bandwagon and get a copy of your book too, Linda, tho i wouldn't say no...

but i am dropping this to say, in general, i will do reviews per request and that the best way to do that right now might be through the mail system here at GoodReads...

feel free to look at the reviews i have posted here for an idea of how i do them and feel free to mail and ask me any questions about how i rate, on what criteria, etc...

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments Zenobia Birth of a Legend ( #1) by Russ Wallace
Any one want to review book one in the Zenobia series and learn how she prepares herself to become Queen and a Warrior?

message 33: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Denton (goodreadscomdm_denton) | 2 comments Hi, everyone. A House Near Luccoli, my novel of musical intimacy and intrigue in 17th Century Genoa, imagining an encounter with the legendary but undervalued Italian Composer, Alessandro Stradella, is to be released September 1st, published by All Things That Matter Press. More information can be found on the novel's web page, including a couple of excerpts: http://www.dmdenton-author-artist.com.... Would be happy to offer a free copy or copies (Paperback or EBook) for a review or two to be posted here on Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble.

message 34: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (darlene_williams) | 8 comments Prue wrote: "Happy to offer a free Kindle copy of Gisborne: Book of Pawns Gisborne Book of Pawns (Gisborne, #1) by Prue Batten to any reader who may be interested in reviewing for Goodreads and for Amazon."

Take the offer! Excellent book.

message 35: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (darlene_williams) | 8 comments Julie wrote: "Zenobia Birth of a Legend ( #1) by Russ Wallace
Any one want to review book one in the Zenobia series and learn how she prepares herself to become Queen and a Warrior?"

Going to check if it's on Amazon. I always like to read a little before I commit.

message 36: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (darlene_williams) | 8 comments Julie wrote: "Zenobia Birth of a Legend ( #1) by Russ Wallace
Any one want to review book one in the Zenobia series and learn how she prepares herself to become Queen and a Warrior?"

Went to Amazon but there's no sample. Can you send me the first chapter somehow? Contact me via private message.

message 37: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (darlene_williams) | 8 comments Debra wrote: "I'll tweet for reviewers."

Now that's an idea I love. I'm a historical fiction reviewer at http://darleneelizabethwilliamsauthor... Please feel free to tweet anything you like. It would be most appreciated!

message 38: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Williams (darlene_williams) | 8 comments Prue wrote: "Happy to offer a free Kindle copy of Gisborne: Book of Pawns Gisborne Book of Pawns (Gisborne, #1) by Prue Batten to any reader who may be interested in reviewing for Goodreads and for Amazon."

Thought I posted a reply saying "Take the offer! Excellent book." but it seems to have disappeared. Seriously, take the offer!

message 39: by Debra (new)

Tweeted, Darlene.

message 40: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Denton (goodreadscomdm_denton) | 2 comments Do you enjoy reading historical fiction along the lines of 'A Girl with a Pearl Earring'? A House Near Luccoli, my novel of musical intimacy and intrigue in 17th Century Genoa, imagining an encounter with the legendary but undervalued Italian Composer, Alessandro Stradella, published by All Things That Matter Press, is now available: http://www.amazon.com/House-Near-Lucc.... Would be happy to offer a free Kindle copy for anyone interested in reading with a view to writing a review to be posted on Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble.

message 41: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Magid | 4 comments My name is Beverly Magid and I would appreciate any reviews or comments about my newly released book Sown in Tears, which cane be found on Amazon.

Sown in Tears is the story of Leah Peretz, living with her husband and young children in the Pale of the Settlement in Russia, 1905. The country is in great turmoil, with horrific pogroms occurring, especially against the Jews,the beginnings of the revolution starting to roil the country. We follow Leah's journey, trying to survive, experiencing the drama and unexpected romance which changes her life.

message 42: by Diana (new)

Diana Jackson (dianamj) | 10 comments I am happy to coordinate a round robin type review chain for March 2013 on books from 1800 to 1930. What I suggest is up to six of us willing to read and review five books by March. Then we can post reviews on our blogs and Goodreads on a given week in March with links to each other's sites. I love reading Historical Fiction and would give a genuine review. If you are interested then let me know on diana@dianamaryjackson.co.uk After all, as writers we are also avid readers!

message 43: by J.A. (last edited Mar 09, 2013 11:41AM) (new)

J.A. Coffey (httpwwwjacoffeycom) | 4 comments Any fans of ancient history out there? My new novel, HETAERA: Daughter of the Gods (http://www.amazon.com/HETAERA-Daughte...), could use a few reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.

HETAERA fictionalizes the life of a Thracian slave who becomes Egypt's most infamous courtesan. Happy to send electronic file, gift copy or Word document, if interested.

Also happy to your book to my TBR list if it's something I'm interested in and retweets. Follow me on Twitter @authorJACoffey

message 44: by Jess (new)

Jess Hughes | 14 comments J.A. wrote: "Any fans of ancient history out there? My new novel, HETAERA: Daughter of the Gods (http://www.amazon.com/HETAERA-Daughte...), could use a few reviews on Goodreads..."

Hello, J.A.
I would be happy to review HETAERA, if you would send me a paperback copy and reciprocate by reviewing my historical, THE SIGN OF THE EAGLE. I too would be glad to send you a copy of that book as well. If you are interested contact me by email: jessstevenhughes@hotmail.com.
Thank you
Jess Steven Hughes

message 45: by Diamond (new)

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 5 comments J.A. wrote: "Any fans of ancient history out there? My new novel, HETAERA: Daughter of the Gods (http://www.amazon.com/HETAERA-Daughte...), could use a few reviews on Goodreads..."

I'm a huge fan of ancient history, Greek and roman! I'd love to review your book. Check out my blog and email me if you're interested
Cranberrygirl14@hotmail.com
Http://diamondlovestoread.blogot.com

message 46: by Diamond (new)

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 5 comments Jess wrote: "J.A. wrote: "Any fans of ancient history out there? My new novel, HETAERA: Daughter of the Gods (http://www.amazon.com/HETAERA-Daughte...), could use a few reviews..."

Jess-
How funny! I was asking Debra the other week for a book recommendation and based on what I told her (i wanted some Ancient Roman goodness) she recommended I read "Sign of the Eagle" and I added it to my to-read list. Now here I am just a short time later and I see you posting here :)
I review books on my blog and would love to review yours, if you would like. You can email me- cranberrygirl14@hotmail.com
And if you'd like to check out my newly created blog @
http://diamondlovestoread.blogspot.com
[I reviewed Debra's book "The Companion of Lady Holmeshire" on there recently]
Look forward to hearing from you, Jess.
-Diamond C.

message 47: by Linda (new)

Linda Hays-Gibbs (lindahaysgibbs) | 16 comments Would you review my book?
Linda

message 48: by Literary (new)

Literary I would like to extend an invitation to come and check out InD'tale Magazine. We are a online magazine that cater to the indie author and publisher with a romantic flair. And yes we do reviews! http://www.indtale.com/

message 49: by Diamond (new)

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 5 comments Linda wrote: "Would you review my book?
Linda"

Yes! Email me at cranberrygirl14@hotmail.com

message 50: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Perren | 27 comments Hello everyone.

I am Jeffrey Perren, author of Cossacks In Paris. I'm hoping to find someone interested in reviewing my historical novel. Here's a short blurb:

"How far can one man go for his freedom?

Rebellious Breutier Armande, a rising young civil engineer in Paris, is drafted into the Grande Armeé on the eve of Napoleon's 1812 Russian campaign.

On a scouting mission in St. Petersburg he meets Kaarina, a Finnish mathematician and daughter of the counselor to Tsar Alexander I. The pair soon fall in love. But Kaarina is betrothed to Agripin, a vicious Cossack and a favorite of the Tsar.

When she refuses him, Agripin kidnaps her, aided by Kaarina's envious twin sister, Kaisa. At a time of Europe's brief, uneasy truce Breutier deserts Napoleon's army and the Tsar's employ to reclaim Kaarina. Dodging the vengeance of the world's most powerful rulers sends Breutier on a perilous quest to hunt down the era's most ruthless Cossack.

Interweaving the characters' personal dramas with the epochal events of the following two years forms the core of the story. Historically accurate, the novel climaxes at the moment when, for the first time in 400 years, foreign armies invaded France, leaving behind Cossacks in Paris."

I'm offering a free copy to anyone interested in providing a review in exchange.

Thanks!

Jeff

« previous 1