The Filipino Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman(Alexa and Aaron) Start June 6th, 2012

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments So we're doing the entire Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. Yep, all ten volumes of it. We're crazy enough to do that.

Wish us a stable state of mind throughout this weird journey. :)

message 2: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments I thought I was ready after reading Game of Thrones and everything else but this is different because it's a GRAPHIC NOVEL. And to think I'm always running/escaping from something in the dreams that I remember...

message 3: by Alexa (last edited Jun 06, 2012 09:17AM) (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments I'm really sleepy but before I give in to the Sandman I just want to share that I made a playlist! The lyrics don't exactly match up (I notice the music more than the lyrics) but the sounds do (I hope). This came about from my slowly but surely rebuilding my fallen music library. Wala, share ko lang!

http://www.listube.com/#connect=qv7

If you want to share any songs go lang! I'm redownloading music like crazy so I haven't time to discover new ones heh.

I'm kind of scared to sleep now but oh well. G'night!

message 4: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments I thought I was pretty hardcore, too. How Neil Gaiman's mind work? I have no idea.

Dream is such a complex character. I don't think I understand him yet. One moment is vengeful, the next he's compassionate. I'm liking him. But I like Death more! (the character not the real death.) I like how 'undeathly' Death is, you know what I mean? :)

message 5: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments Dream manifests himself in so many forms that I hardly know what to think of him yet but yes, he's very complex. I like how he really cares about his job as the Dreamlord though.

On the other hand, I actually really like Death. She looks like a goth but she's so fun. I'm still trying to grasp the "death is a gift" concept apart from the obvious (relieving sick people of their pain, etc.).

message 6: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments The Eternals manifests themselves according to the period they are in as was shown in Men of Good Fortune, right? Maybe goths are quite a hit during the Sandman was published. I don't know. I think I'm still a toddler back then.

That whole sequence with Death and Dream on The Sound of Her Wings is probably one of my favorite sequences so far. Yep. I don't get the 'death is a gift' concept yet. Those panels with Death and the baby in the crib are HORRIBLE.

message 7: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments Aaron I agree! I was so sad when she took the baby but I was more of shocked when the baby suddenly talked. Haha.

Yeah maybe it has something to do with the time frame!

Kuya Ken I'll look into those. Thank you!

I like how hell was depicted here. It's a nod to Dante's Inferno, what with the tree of suicides and the deepest circle with Lucifer in it.

The happenings are really horrible but I like how it doesn't feel forced - rather, it fits with the setting and makes everything more real. I read something about a guy picking people's eyes out in a friend's crime encyclopedia and much as I hate to say it, stuff like that could really happen. Eurgh. More plausible since the story's full of (literal) psychopaths.

message 8: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments That is true. It is interesting that when they captured Dream he said something along the lines, "You're lucky you got Death's younger brother." Death/Grim Reaper has always been incorporated as male that it was quite a shock when the goth girl is revealed to be death. And come on, she's wearing an ANKH! I really thought she was Destiny or some other Dream's sibling.

The Eternals have their own comic series or you're talking about Marvel's The Eternals? I haven't read Marvel's The Eternals. I'm not really that much into the superhero comics. But I will try it if you think its highly recommendable. :)

message 9: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Alexa: For some reason, the Unholy Trinity of Hell disturbed me a lot. It's a sick parody of something that is deeply ingrained to us Catholics.

There's a lot of things that disturbs me that I can make a list just by the end of the second volume. But you are right, the horrible things that happened didn't come across as something gratuitous. The characters in this series are basically the personification of some HUGE ideas and concepts. It is well within reason that the stakes are THIS high.

message 10: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments I'm still at the Cereal Convention part towards the end, right after Rose and Gilbert were in the elevator with the "cereal nuts" and I really have to wonder. How do these collectors find each other? And make contact? I find it grotesquely funny how they even have a convention in the first place. Is this for motivation or inspiration or sharing the secrets of the trade? Being in a hotel full of them must be an absolute nightmare. Wait. Has a movie been done similar to this situation before? Definitely not envious of Rose at the moment.

Kuya Ken Lucifer doesn't sound so wrong (at least for me, anyway). If its title is Satan I think that would attract more attention. It sounds fascinating, by the way. I like reading about people's interpretations of what happened to him, more of how creative people get with the history than the actual angel.

(Kuya) Aaron I haven't thought of it that way! But yes, now that you mentioned it it must be a sick parody of the Trinity. I was more of wondering about Beelzebub because I don't remember him from anywhere, so my research was more focused on him. I always just assumed Beelzebub was the name of a bug (slightly true, since it means "Lord of the Flies" pala.

message 11: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Ken: Dream always refer to his kind as The Eternals which includes his siblings Death, Destiny, Desire, Despair, etc. Does the Eternals on that graphic novel the same Eternals in Sandman novel?

Alexa:(DON'T READ THIS UNTIL YOU FINISHED 'THE COLLECTORS' ISSUE)
I think The Corinthian has something to do with the conception of the Cereal Convention. Remember that he was the one who "created" them. There was a lot of conflict within the convention attendees and the panellist(like the Religion panel and Female Psychopath's panel). I don't think the Cereal Convention is a kind of nightmare. It is HELL ascended on earth.

message 12: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments I think we're both finishing up Vol. 2: The Doll's House.

AND CRAP. I just read Alexa's review and realized the confusion was because I got it wrong. They are The Endless not The Eternals. *hides in shame* Sorry, world.

message 13: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments I just finished Vol 2! Whoa. Just when I was about to ask if there's purposefully no story arc connecting the two volumes since they're so disjointed, even between single issues, it started making sense! A bit. But still! Progress!

message 14: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Jun 07, 2012 02:59AM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments I just finished it too. :)

There is really no overarching story-arc for the series as of yet. Maybe you can consider Nada's character? She was in A Hope in Hell and she appeared again at the start of this volume in Tales in the Sand.

I am really fascinated with Dream. What he said to Desire about them being servants of human made me wonder if he ever did something in the previous series that is against that idea. I can't come up with anything aside from what he did to Nada. (That is based from the tale told by the tribe; we haven't seen what Dream's side of the story yet.)

As I said earlier...

10 Most Disturbing Stuff As of Volume 2:
1. The Corinthian(what he does and what he represents)
2. 24 Hours(the entire issue, yes)
3. Cereal Convention
4. Eternal Waking(possibly the most cruel punishment ever)
5. The Unholy Trinity of Hell
6. Cain and Abel
7. Nada and The Stone(I just wish I can unsee that.)
8. John Constantine's ex-girlfriend.(including the hallway. Dear God.)
9. Desire and Despair(the idea of them being twins)
10. The Hecate(I've read them about them many times in the past but how they depicted in here is quite scary.)

message 15: by Alexa (last edited Jun 07, 2012 03:14AM) (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments I liked this volume more than the first one because of the Cereal Convention, omg. It's so dark and twisted and ridiculous that it's weirdly funny for me (though I find it hard to laugh for obvious reasons). I'm trying to imagine a real-life killer convention and I really can't. It's to strange a concept to wrap my head around. I don't find it too disturbing anymore. Maybe I've grown numb? Or maybe it's my mind preparing for worse (if that's possible) scenarios to come.

Okay. Imma let my geek side win out since I've been thinking this ever since yesterday and I'm sure you'll understand what I'm talking about anyway:

Dream reminds me a lot of the Tenth Doctor,, especially in Family of Blood. ("He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun." !!!) He's cruel, but just. I haven't seen anything in the contrary so far, except for Nada's case, though I think we'll know about her soon enough.

Furthermore, I am amused by the dynamics of the Endless siblings. Their relationships with each other are unnervingly normal! Like Death and Dream, and especially Dream and Desire (I've had the opportunity be the Desire sibling when I was younger and I cringe to think of it). I'm really curious for the other siblings now.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.