The Sword and Laser discussion

Ernest Cline
This topic is about Ernest Cline
Scifi / Fantasy News > Ready Player One ... in real life

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrington (new)

Carrington Vanston (carringtonvanston) | 6 comments Earnest Cline is giving away a DeLorean to the first person who can solve three hidden puzzles. The first is unlocked via an "Easter egg" in the text of both the hardcover and paperback editions of Ready Player One.

Did you read Ready Player One and think "yeah, I could've won." Well I guess here's your chance.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Not available to anyone outside the US :(

message 3: by Carrington (new)

Carrington Vanston (carringtonvanston) | 6 comments I hadn't noticed the USA-only-ness of it (and I'm a Canadian, eh).

Hmmm... perhaps I can win the DeLorean and then use it to go back in time to change the rules? But first I'd need the rules changed so I can enter the contest. So I need to win the contest to enter the contest so that I can win the contest and then enter the contest. Wish me luck!

"If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs."

message 4: by Jorge (new)

Jorge | 1 comments Interesting.....I'd do if for the thrill on the game. Not really looking forward to winning the car. Its cool and all just doesn't excite me like it does for others.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan I have found the first gate, but am unable to compete as a resident of Florida. I'm a U.S.A. resident, but apparently residents of Florida are not eligible. Does anyone have a clue why?

message 6: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 5 comments it has to do with legal issues, Ernie talks about it in the latest episode of Gweek from BoingBoing.net. apparently it's fairly hard to give away a car.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Well, dang it. Why do I live here? I always said it was too hot and humid, but that crossed the line.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Is everyone on this thread unable to compete? I'd at least like to have someone tell us how the games went. Though, of course, if someone else eligible were to be silently observing this thread (as I admit, I do sometimes in other threads) then we could be disclosing important information. Well, if someone ever gets over here that lives in New York or Tennessee or Montana... message me how it goes. I'd be thrilled to know what other games end up at the second and third gate, and how hard they get.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark | 1 comments I figure everyone in the world can play. If someone finishes first who he can't give the car to, I am sure he will do something cool for them.

message 10: by Susan (last edited Jun 11, 2012 05:15PM) (new)

Susan No, I don't think so. He told us all that you had to be a citizen of the U.S. (except for Florida). I found the first gate but it wouldn't allow me to download the game, or play it online. :(