Genre Readers looking to expand discussion

Archives_Challenges > Classics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The challenge is to read 4 "classics", i.e. Pride and Prejudice,The Moonstone, In Dubious Battle, etc.

The challenge will run until the end of the year.(That's not quite two months for each book so this one shouldn't be too hard). If you are participating please share the books you read here. :)

message 2: by ╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (last edited Jun 24, 2012 12:24AM) (new)

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Love this idea, as there are quite a few classics I've been meaning to get around too! Starting with Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and a handful of H.G. Wells novels!

What books are you reading, Beth? :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't started this one yet, but Jane Eyre's on the short list. I also thought I might try a Jane Austen novel. I've only read Pride and Prejudice. I loved it, but I started Sense and Sensibility and it just wasn't my thing.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Pride & Prejudice is on my short list, as well. I tried Sense and Sensibility and barely made it through, a few years ago. I did read a spoof novel called: Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters and it was much more engaging. ;)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard of those, they sound pretty fun. I got almost all the way through Sense and Sensibility. I just didn't really like the characters(except Coronal Brandon), and it kind of ruined it for me.
Pride and Prejudice is probably my favorite book I've ever read though. I keep rereading it. :)

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) If you get a chance, I would recommend the spoof books. In particular, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Seth Grahame-Smith does a really wonderful job re-creating the Pride & Prejudice story and keeps the writing style the same as Austen's. :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the tip. I may have to try that. :)

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) I've officially finished my first classic of this challenge by reading H.G. Wells The Time Machine; which I would highly recommend to everyone! :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, how'd you like it?
I *blushes* saw a movie, but I haven't read that one yet.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) I very much recommend it, I loved it! This was my first H.G. Wells book and he is wonderful. His descriptions are so vivid and he writes with a very unexpected humor. If you get a chance, you should read it =D

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Tiffani wrote: "I very much recommend it, I loved it! This was my first H.G. Wells book and he is wonderful. His descriptions are so vivid and he writes with a very unexpected humor. If you get a chance, you shoul..."

It's been added to my tbr shelf. Thanks :)

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1159 comments Mod
Just finished my 1st classic for this challenge. I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. It was ok, I liked it. Probably would have liked it more if I was a young boy but still a pretty good book.

message 13: by Rabaab (new)

Rabaab | 1 comments I am in

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Is The Legend of Sleepy Hollow considered a classic? I thought it might be fun to read during Holloween. Or would that be more under the monster theme?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I would probably count it as both. Looks fun, that's a good idea.

I'm thinking of doing Alice in Wonderland(never read it). Also maybe Persuasion. I still have to finish Jane Eyre.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

I have looked at Alice in Wonderland several times at the library. I have never read it either.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa wrote: "If I can find the extra time with the other books I want to read, I'm going to give Treasure Islanda try."

I just finished Treasure Islandand I enjoyed it. It was a bit hard to follow with all the sailing terms but I got it figured out.

I think I prefer Disney's Treasure Planet movie but I was impressed by how closely that followed the characters and plot line to the book.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

I have finished this challenge! I had my doubts about actually finishing but I did it!

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer I had never actually read it and I liked it.

Treasure IslandI had a harder time with this one, all the sailing terms and the way they talked left me struggling to figure out what they were talking about.

Oliver Twist I didn't care for this one at all, I couldn't get into it and struggled to finish it. I think it was a better movie than a book.

A Christmas Carol I really liked this one. I had never read the story before, just watched the movies. I think Dicken's Scrooge wasn't as hard to change as the movie ones. I read this one fairly quick and enjoyed the way it was written.

I also read Secret Garden, Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy: Three Complete Novels for another group and I loved them. They were my favorites of the classics that I read.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I wrote: "
The challenge will run until the end of the year.(That's not quite two months for each bo..."

Proved myself wrong - I didn't finish. :)