THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Self-Serve Advertising Program

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie | 14 comments Has anyone had experience using the Goodreads Self-Serve Advertising Program? I don't want to go into the program 'blind.' Apparently there's a cost per click on advertised books, but I can't find information on the amount the author pays for each click on their product. Of course, I'm wondering if users have been pleased with the results or not, too. Thanks for any information you can give me!

message 2: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) There's anoher thread on this, called "Self-Serve Ads", that you might want to read. Click on the "Author Program" heading to see the full list of threads, it's about ten down...mine has had limited success in generating "adds" but that doesn't seem to correlate to the number of books I actually sell.

message 3: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie | 14 comments K.A. wrote: "There's anoher thread on this, called "Self-Serve Ads", that you might want to read. Click on the "Author Program" heading to see the full list of threads, it's about ten down...mine has had limite..."

I must have missed it. I'll check it out. Am I hearing you right that your book sales probably aren't getting much of a boost from the advertising?

Thanks, K.A.

message 4: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie | 14 comments M.R. wrote: "I put .45 per click. Mine get shown a few thousand times a day and maybe clicked thirty times a day. I have 5 books running in advertising. I think it helps get the word out. JMHO"

Thanks for your input. I'm still plodding along, trying to figure out the self-promotion part of writing. Thanks again.

message 5: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) Marjorie at #4: Not as far as I can tell. Lots of people haved added it to their Goodreads "to-read" shelf but not many of those seem to have followed up by actually purchasing the book. That bump may show up later; some folks may add a lot of books & then work through their backlog. I'm not sure.

message 6: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie | 14 comments That's part of my concern. It would be a shame to spend money advertising if it doesn't do much to influence actual purchases. Thanks!

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve Bareham I'm currently signed up for Progeneter with the pay per click tied to other authors and haven't had a single click after several days. Started with .70 cents, then raised bid daily until now over $2 and still no clicks. Have also fiddled with the copy...even at $2.04, where I thought I'd have decent positioning, I'm down about 50 books on the listings so not likely to get found. It doesn't seem like upping ones bid does the trick, perhaps going with little-known authors would get one's book higher, but not sure, position seems unchanged and I'm connected to about 12. Mystery to me how, or if, this self service PPC works...so far, big "no." It's not costing me anything, but nor is it doing any good that I can discern. Anyone have better success?

message 8: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) Try taking out the authors altogether and just targeting it to specific groups. The "views" seem to vary randomly day-to-day, it doesn't seem tied to the $/click. I get more clicks when the view rate is up, but you don't have much control over that - the view rate is how many times the ad is shown on the site. You might get a higher view rate with fewer restrictions, but I'm not sure.

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Bareham Thanks K.A. good idea. Think I'll leave one with authors but go for ones not so well known and do as you suggest with the other ad and see what happens after a few more days.