Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
This topic is about The Knife of Never Letting Go
Summer Reading June 18-24 > “The Noise is a man unfiltered, and without a filter, a man is just chaos walking.” What do the voices in your head sound like? What would your Noise be like? Are you a different person on the inside than the out?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chris (chriskoppenhaver) | 30 comments Mod
What kinds of filters do you have and what kinds of thoughts do they catch?

message 2: by Chris (last edited Jun 14, 2012 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (chriskoppenhaver) | 30 comments Mod
If you're familiar with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, a widely used personality test, I'm one rarest types (2-3% of the population), an INTJ. Many of the sources say something like this: INTJs spend a lot of time inside their own minds . . . Other people may have a difficult time understanding an INTJ. They may see them as aloof and reserved.

However, I've always preferred how the Compleat Idiot's Guide to the INTJ puts it:

We live inside our heads.
We frequently zone out. We get lost in thought and spend much of our time inside our heads. If our immediate reality becomes boring, we will retreat into our minds, and you might have to shout our names repeatedly to get our attention so we will come out again. And no, sorry, but you can’t come into our heads with us. You wouldn’t last five minutes there. You’d be driven insane by the nonstop cacophony of overlapping voices madly free-associating from one idea to the next. . . .

We are aloof.
Because we are somewhat detached from reality, because we are introverted (we find interacting with people to be tiring and tiresome), because we are very private, and because we are impassive, we tend to come across as rather reserved and aloof. Okay, we actually are reserved and aloof.

So I rather relate to the quote from The Knife of Never Letting Go in the question.

Do you?