The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 20.1 - Most Improved Player - Stesse's task: Fifty Shades of Whoa!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 06, 2012 11:43AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17601 comments Mod
20.1 - Most Improved - Stesse's task: Fifty Shades of Whoa!

I had been hearing about this book all spring but since so many of the reviews were pretty vicious, I held off until I found a used copy (because getting it out of the library would have taken 10 years!). And I have to admit, I’m glad I read it. The writing isn’t great, but it’s a fun, fast, easy read that goes down a genre that I’ve never explored. The best part is that a couple of friends (and friends of friends) have been discussing it online. Connecting with these ladies (many of whom I’m sure I’ll never meet in person) has been a riot!

Don’t worry, I won’t make you read the book if you don’t want to… but for this task, pick one of these four options:

(1) Fifty/fifty: reviews on this book are on both sides of the spectrum: seems like people either love it or hate it – with a passion! Read one of the Fifty Shades books: Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, or Fifty Shades Freed. Optional – write a review on it.

(2) Shades: Read a genre that you haven’t really explored before; one that’s new to you or one that you’d like to know more about. Take a chance and try something new. For example, if you typically read romances, try a science fiction. Or if you prefer mysteries, explore a paranormal book.
Required: Please state the new-to-you genre when you post

(3) Of: There are some lines in the books that are starting to show up around the net… it’s interesting to suddenly see someone end an email with “Laters, baby” or wear a t-shirt that says “You. Are. Mine.” Read a book with one of the following words in the title (must match exactly, must be a stand alone word): later, laters, baby, you, are, mine.

(4) Grey: read a book with one of the following colors in the title or subtitle: white, gray (or grey), or black. (My inner goddess' rainbow only has shades of gray...) Words must match exactly & must be a stand alone word.

Required: Please state the option you chose

message 2: by Stesse (last edited Jun 07, 2012 07:58AM) (new)

Stesse | 271 comments So - here's the place for clarifications, IF any arise.

(1) Option 2 - YA is just fine, so long as it's a new genre (ie, YA dystopian as a new genre for someone who's only read YA paranormal before would be fine. Or if you've never read YA before, dip your toe in that pool)

message 3: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Hold open

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17601 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Ha, found this one on my TBR shelf for #4 Shades of Grey. It has "grey" and also has shades...interesting. :)

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments This task was so written for me seeing as I have just read all 3 books back to back.

message 8: by Bucket (new)

Bucket | 369 comments Just poking around and Michelle, I noticed your question. Even if it doesn't work for option 3, wouldn't it work for option 4? (black in the title)

message 9: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Michelle wrote: "Do subtitles work for option 3? I was looking into Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-Ass, or Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the ..."

Hi Michelle - yes, subtitles work. And Bucket is right, it would work for either 3 or 4. (Plus, it's a great book, just beware reading it in public. People look at you funny when you snort soda out of your nose because you're laughing so hard...)

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments I love this task! I already had Fifty Shades Freed planned for a task, so now I'm moving it! :D

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments Stesse wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Do subtitles work for option 3? I was looking into Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-Ass, or Why You Should Never Carry a ..."

Goes to show you how much I pay attention... I never even thought of that. Ahhhh... one of those days. Thanks guys!!

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I have been meaning to start these books. Now I can!

message 13: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments I don't plan to read the trilogy, so I guess I'll be looking for colors in the title.

message 14: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments This task may mean I have to read this book :)

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 49 comments For option 2 could I read a non-fiction book if I usually read fiction?
And would that genre have to appear on the main page?
I wanted to read Cancer: A Very Short Introduction but no genres appear on the book's page.

message 16: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Jess wrote: "For option 2 could I read a non-fiction book if I usually read fiction?
And would that genre have to appear on the main page?
I wanted to read Cancer: A Very Short Introduction but no genres appe..."

I see no problem with that- since you typically read fiction, NF would be a new direction for you! And by asking here & getting it approved, that should cover not having a genre on the main page. I'd say "enjoy" but that looks like it could be a tough read!

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess | 49 comments Yeah not the cheeriest of topics but what I've read so far is pretty interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Mcdaid | 163 comments I have a question on option 2 If I read a book one that I don't normally read for a previous season challenge would the second book still be considered something I don't normally read?

message 19: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Michael wrote: "I have a question on option 2 If I read a book one that I don't normally read for a previous season challenge would the second book still be considered something I don't normally read?"

Hi Michael - good question. I'd say that for a book to be considered something that you don't normally read, it would have to be one that you wouldn't typically pick up given the choice to read ANYTHING in the world. That doesn't mean you've never read that genre before, but it's something not in your usual rotation. I think if you've read something similar for another task in a previous challenge that would be fine. With the amount that folks in this challenge read, I think it would be hard to find a completely untouched genre! Also, this subtask is a "trust" one in that we're leaving it pretty open to readers to figure out what's not a typical genre for them. The mods are trusting the readers to use their best judgement on this sub task. Hope this (long-winded) explanation helps!