Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Book without an ISBN?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (last edited Jun 05, 2012 06:42AM) (new)

Faye Pettitt (lummi) | 23 comments I have a book I wanted to add to my library, but it seems there's no ISBN. The only code is "CN 8893"
And a barcode number. Any ideas if I am still allowed to add this book? If so, what do I do about the ISBN?

message 2: by lafon حمزة (last edited Jun 05, 2012 06:56AM) (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments You can still add it. There are many older/foreign books with no ISBN and they still are on Goodreads. What I would do is search very carefully to make sure it's not already on Goodreads, and if it isn't to add it, leaving the ISBN field blank.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that barcodes on books are the ISBN. Not completely sure though.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42443 comments Mod
lafon حمزة wrote: "I'm pretty sure that barcodes on books are the ISBN."

Not always, and most often not on older books, where they are more likely to be unrelated to the ISBN at all.

message 4: by Faye (new)

Faye Pettitt (lummi) | 23 comments The number on the barcode is: 0000000088930 I did search for it but found nothing.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That's definitely not an ISBN.

What year was the book published?

message 6: by Faye (new)

Faye Pettitt (lummi) | 23 comments 1992, I have found an Edition on GR that has the same book cover, I wonder if it's the same book.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Quite possibly.

Most books from 1992 do have ISBNs, but they may only be on the copyright page.

message 8: by Faye (new)

Faye Pettitt (lummi) | 23 comments Well I checked all areas of the book where I thought a ISBN might hide but I got nothing. All it says is

This edition published 1992
by BCA
by arrangement with Hodder and Stoughton Ltd.

No worries, I will just add the book I mentioned before to my library, no point adding another book with the same name and cover again just without an ISBN. Thanks all. (:

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ah! A bookclub book.

Yeah, those are usually reprints of editions with ISBNs (which is why you're seeing a matching cover), but often lack ISBNs of their own.