Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Curtis Reincarnation
This topic is about The Curtis Reincarnation
Policies & Practices > need advice

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Delena666 (new) - added it

Delena666 | 8 comments Hi, I really need advice on the book The Curtis Reincarnation by Zathyn Priest.

In short, when I visited this book that I already read, I discovered that my rating somehow transfered to the different edition than the one I rated.

After some wondering I came upon a libtarian change log for this edition and discovered that the author instead of creating a new version/edition, as he should have done, changed already existing version to be his new edition. In doing so he tranfered all ratings and reviews to his new edition.

And he done that with all his older books...

From my point of view it is not right. I understand that he wants his 'home page' to reflect new editions with HIS covers, but I among all the others rated different edition, published by a different publisher, so

my question is: should it all be changed back to the way it was and new editions created, or was it within his right to do it?

If you go to his 'home page' you will see that I already changed 'One of Those Days' back to how it was and created a new edition for the 2nd edition.
I feel justified in changing this book because I know for a fact that these two editions differ not only in covers, but in story too.

message 2: by Cait (last edited Jun 05, 2012 06:15AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments The author should definitely not have done that. A GR employee should contact them and remind them of this.

Reverting the books is probably the best solution if it was done recently; if it was done a while ago, the danger is that readers since then will have picked the new edition and will not want to be reverted back to the old one, just as you didn't want to be switched to the new one. If you can tell from the reviews which group of readers is in the majority, I'd say go with the majority of reviewers on the question of reverting the edition back to its earlier correct state and creating a new edition with the new info vs leaving it in the new state and recreating the old edition.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Cait wrote: "The author should definitely not have done that. A GR employee should contact them and remind them of this."

This will be taken care of.

message 4: by Delena666 (new) - added it

Delena666 | 8 comments Thanks for the answer. I will make it as it should be.

Changes were made couple of months ago, and as I like to re-visit books I liked, I know for a fact that at least 90% of the ratings are for the old edition, not this new one.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 06, 2012 04:13AM) (new)

I'm not sure whether this is exactly the same problem, but it seems very similar. A number of the books in my Goodreads collection have been changed to other editions although the edition I originally chose (I always search by ISBN) is still available. I am having to go through all my books and change them back to the edition I actually chose in the first place! Does anyone know why this happened?

As an example, I originally added, read and reviewed this edition of Pat Barker's The Eye in the Door:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37...

Today I noticed that my review has been shifted to another edition (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...) although the edition I originally read/reviewed is still in the database. I never chose to change editions and don't know why/when it was switched.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Have you switched the editions back since posting?

The edition on your shelf is the blue covered one (although there is no written review just stars)

Did you write a textual review?

The other edition you link to is the most popular default edition, which is the one that shows up in searches and on the author page (not the version you shelved, you have to select that version)

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 06, 2012 05:30AM) (new)

Yes, I'm trawling through all my books and changing to the correct editions. I think it's quite probable that they were all changed to the "default", most popular edition. I know it's a bit finicky of me, but I'm quite pedantic about having the *actual* edition I read on my Goodreads bookshelf.

When I went to the trouble of searching for the exact ISBN in the first place, in order to have the books on my shelves associated with the edition I own, it's a bit disappointing to have all that work reversed!

That's not one of the ones I wrote a textual review of; I just chose it as it was the one I happened to be "readjusting" to the correct edition as I typed.

Several of my books for which I definitely did write a textual review had their edition spontaneously changed. (I've changed the first several pages of my books back now.)

message 8: by Lacrima_Atra (last edited Sep 06, 2012 05:48AM) (new)

Lacrima_Atra | 98 comments Couldn't this be due to Amazon leaving as a data source?
I remember that all the books that weren't rescued until the end of january, would be changed to another (rescued) edition, i.e. the most popular one. This happened to several of my books, as I didn't have the time to rescue all of my editions. Of course since then a lot of editions have been readded to the database. However if this is the case, only books that you reviewed before february should be affected.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 06, 2012 06:01AM) (new)

Oh, interesting. I've been looking through the Librarian's Group threads trying to find some hint about what happened but hadn't got back as far as January/February (this group is so wonderfully active!)

I *think* a book I finished reading/reviewed in May of this year had been changed, but I added it in 2011 so perhaps it did change in February and I didn't notice until I went to review it in May.

That would explain a lot. Unfortunately, the majority of my books were added before February!