Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Translated edition as most popular

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments I've come across this a number of times and wondered if there wasn't a way to fix it, or even if it should be fixed...

With a few older series/category romance novels, an Indonesian translated version ends up as the most popular...probably because the original is older and not one people typically list or remember reading, etc and the Indonesian translation is newer therefore more likely to be added by people. Whatever the reason, the translation ends up being the most popular. Not necessarily a big deal except for a couple reason. One, it comes up as the listing when doing a search...and as I've seen in the Feedback group, this throws people off. And two, it makes things difficult on the combine page because books are listed alphabetically according to the most popular edition. Which in this case means its listed by the translated title (most often nothing like the original title). It makes it hard to notice that, say, the singular edition of Risky Business that was just added to GR should actually be combined with the translated title (and other editions) listed up in the B's.

The only way I could think to work around this would be to re-title the translation by listing the original title first, then the translated title. But I'm not sure people who read the translated edition would approve of that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

message 2: by Cait (last edited Jan 06, 2009 03:15PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments The thing is, if the translated version is indeed the most popular version, then by definition more users are going to be looking for that version!

it comes up as the listing when doing a search

A change I would like to see is that if your search matches a particular edition of a book, that's the edition which is shown in the search results. There was some discussion of this a while back in the Feedback group, I think....

message 3: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Which is true, and I'm not saying the translated version should be undervalued in any way. I'm just saying that it creates problems, especially when combining because of how the book gets listed. One author I've done work on has maybe 4 or 5 books with the translation as most popular and it makes combining any new editions much harder.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41724 comments Mod
The only way I could think to work around this would be to re-title the translation by listing the original title first, then the translated title. But I'm not sure people who read the translated edition would approve of that.

How about putting it after the translated title, in parentheses? This has the advantage of being how many translated titles are listed already.

message 5: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments Most, not all, actually are listed like that (with the translated title then original title in parenthesis). It just doesn't solve the problem with the combine page. If the author only has a few works, it's easier to see what else is listed. But for more prolific authors, you don't really see (or remember) that the book all the way down in the R's is actually listed up in the B's by the translated title.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41724 comments Mod
True. But it does help a lot when doing a sort on that page.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 06, 2009 08:16PM) (new)

The first post in this thread has really made me smile :) this means we Indonesians do read a lot :D
Personally I prefer Cait's suggestion on post #2.
About the translated title, most Indonesian librarians AFAIK have agreed to put as the title of a particular book whatever the publisher of the translated edition put on the title page. Sometimes the publisher put both the original and the translated title (one of any of the two in parentheses), sometimes only the original title, and sometimes only the translated title (in this case, the original title went to the book description column).