Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > To add or not to add (online book supplements)...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments I kept meaning to ask about this and forgetting. Are author book/series supplements okay to add to GR?

What I mean is, one of my favorite authors, Suzanne Brockmann, writes the Troubleshooters series. Which is now up to book 14 or something. And for the last few books, with each release, she's made available a special pdf supplement with all kinds of interesting stuff. One had a listing of the series books with summaries, character listings, and other stuff. She's also had short stories, "interviews" with characters, author interviews, and much more. They are great add-ons to the series. I think at the moment there are 3 supplements like that available.

What I wanted to know is if these supplements are okay to add to the GR database. Not necessary the supplement itself (I'd probably need author permission for that) but an entry about the supplement with information on what's in it and how to find it (barring the author denying permission to upload it as an ebook). This would let readers of the series know something like that exists because a lot don't. The author's website doesn't quite make them easily findable, or even know they exist.

Is this something that would be okay to add to the GR database or not?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43548 comments Mod
I don't think these are really books. However, a brief description and a link in the description field of the relevant book(s) seems perfectly reasonable to me.

message 3: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments If they related to just one book in the series, then I could see doing that. But they relate to the series as a whole with things that connect to different books. I can't really see going in and adding links to each and every summary.

Oh well. I thought I'd ask. They are a great resource and I found that of the people I talk to here that read the series, none had even known these supplements existed. Which is a shame. So I thought I'd see if they could be added.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Are there discussion groups for the author and/or series? Of the sort that will end up on the book pages?

message 5: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments There's no specific group just for the author or series, but there's a thread for the author in the Romantic Suspense group, and a thread for the series in my Romance Series Lists group - which on that thread I have links to the PDF's. So at least people can find them that way, if the check out the thread.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Since Kathryn linked up all the books in that series, the thread appears on all their pages. So that's good -- but you might want to change the title of the thread to something that includes a "hey, look at me!" phrase like "other resources available"?