Moby-Dick or, the Whale Moby-Dick or, the Whale discussion

Chapter 4. Counterpane

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (last edited Jun 04, 2012 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Martha Can someone explain an incident in Chpt 4 -- Counterpane? Ishmael described something that happened to him as a child. He was sent to bed early in the afternoon about 2:00 (no supper, etc), and it took him a long time to fall asleep. He finally did fall asleep and woke up in the middle of the night, with his arm hung over the bed. He described "a supernatural hand seemed placed in mine" "closely seated by my bed-side". Is this supposed to be "God"? Does anyone know who or what this symbolizes?

Martha Oh, I have put out a few questions out here. There have been good responses to help me get through, thank goodness. It is a hearty read, yes it is!!

JinSoo Saun It probably means you have never experienced sleep problems and bad feelings, both physical and emotional, following them.

message 4: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian That chapter is one of the first indications that this is a book like no other.

Having said that, the incident is somewhat reminiscent of sleep paralysis.

Annesha Perhaps the first introduction of the idea of something supernatural? With the prophet, the immortal whale, and the seething undertones of destiny, Ishmael may be letting us know exactly who he thought to blame (blame may not be the right word) for the incidents in the book.

Martha That sounds very logical! I am at the point where the five phantom men appear and are assisting Ahab on the first lowering. The same mysterious group that was boarding the Pequod on that hazy Christmas morning. This is probably another supernatural area in the book. Thank you, that helps me much!

Kassandra hey whtz up everyone soo how is the book going so far