All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1) All These Things I've Done question

Worth reading or not????
Shaz Shaz Jun 04, 2012 05:41AM
I'm contemplating on whether or not I should read this book. after reading reviews I don't know what to do. Help??

It's good but its not like other series where I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on the next book. I'll read the sequel though...eventually

It was kinda Meh for me because it has the worst love story(in my opinion) which is the Forbidden Love thing. god i am so sick of it.. But Elsewhere was fantastic :D

I would read this. I personally loved this book.

I liked this book, and the second one just came out

I thought this was just, ok. I don't plan on reading the second book. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as some other books I have read.

Gabrielle Zevin is one of my fave authors so I was keen to read this. But I have to say that it didn't stick in my mind much. I've read about 6 books since and now I'm struggling to even remember the plot in any detail.

Honestly, Gabrielle Zevin has done much better. If you are interested in reading her I would recommend Elsewhere or Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac. Both books were much better than this one.

U 25x33
Ellen Moyo true.
Oct 11, 2013 08:55AM · flag

I read this book because I lo-o-o-ved Elsewhere. I wasn't super impressed but I didn't hate it. I did read the second book and will be reading the third when it comes out. I think the reason I wasn't super impressed with it is because I was hoping she'd re-capture the awesomeness that was Elsewhere (which Teenage Amnesiac failed to do for me).

I liked the dystopian atmosphere, the run down version of NYC where chocolate has become illegal (for the dumbest yet most believable reason ever). I enjoyed the main character's fight to keep her siblings in a stable, "safe" environment. I did NOT enjoy the teen angst woven into her love life, although her reasoning did make more sense than, say, Twilight. *blech Twilight*

Overall, yes I'd recommend it. But don't get your hopes up if Elsewhere is why you're thinking of reading it.

I really liked this book! Elsewhere's really good too I think you should definitely read them both! :)

I was not sure about this book before I read it. The concept sounded good and hooked me because it was a little different than the other possible future books I had read recently. There is not too much in depth and development in the book but I enjoyed it because I was able to lose myself in it for a bit.

I enjoyed the side characters more than the main protagonist, and i enjoyed the times in the prison too.

Really it is a book that is Good but does not WOW you. My advice: probably wait until the paperback is available or borrow it from your library.

Rox (last edited Jun 12, 2012 03:04AM ) Jun 12, 2012 03:04AM   0 votes
For a YA book, it's pretty good. It won't make it to the 'classics' shelf, or become a reference book but you could certainly find worse ways to waste time

I really liked this book, in part because it was so different from other stuff I've read, but mostly because I enjoyed the story.

I read Elsewhere and really liked it, but I would still recommend this book too.

Really couldnt put it down i wanted to know what happaned so bad . Good to read in an afternoon

I recommend it. It's a really good read.

J Jun 04, 2012 10:02AM   0 votes
I did not care for the book.

Yeah, I would give it a try, especially if you like her other stuff. :)

I thought it was.........ok. Nothing more really.

I think I just found the whole 'illegal chocolate' thing humerous.
Of all the things to be known for. Anya's family is in the illegal business of.......chocolate!
pmsl

The only way to know for sure, is to read it.
;-)

To me it was worth reading because I thought the second book was a lot better!

I enjoyed it because it wasn't like something I've ever read before. I think you should read it just to see for yourself if you like it.

Futuristic books usually take place in apocalyptic wastelands where the protagonist must fight to survive. In All These Things I’ve Done, that’s the exact scenario. In 2083, caffeine and chocolate have been dubbed illegal. New York City is full of poverty, chaos, crime. Gabrielle Zevin brings a new side to the futuristic book genres, along with showing the major romantic side of it. Instead of a bloody rebellion or a post-apocalyptic, underground city, All These Things I’ve Done has a new way to interpret our future. Teenagers will love the suspense and the mystery that comes along with this compelling book.

Zevin, who was the author of the national bestseller Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac, lives in New York City where the setting of the book takes place. 16 year old Anya Balanchine is the notorious daughter of a dead crime lord. The Balanchine’s are well known everywhere for being the leading chocolatier family in the world. Chocolate is only illegal in the United States, though it still makes her an object of attention. Anya is stereotyped at her school, being called “… crazy and a slut and an addict and a mafiya princess…” (18).

Anya takes care of her older, mentally disabled brother and younger sister, along with her dying grandmother. They try to stay out of the family business, but it gets hard when Anya is accused of poisoning her ex-boyfriend through the exact same chocolate her family makes. That’s the snowball that gets Anya’s entire life falling down. She’s juggling her family taking the hit, to being sent to a “children’s facility”, or jail, and also falling in love with the son of the new police chief.

The book is also full of Anya’s inner proverbs from her dearly parted daddy, such as, “Be intentional, lapses won’t go unnoticed by your friends and especially not by your enemies” (92). Another is, “Daddy always said you only explained things to the people that actually mattered” (116). One of Daddy’s sayings comes to haunt Anya though: “’…you shouldn’t make an agreement unless you know exactly what you’re going to get out of it’” (143). These quotes run Anya’s decision through everything in the book. Through finding the real culprit of the chocolate poisoning to doing everything to save her brother and sister’s life.

It seems that Anya keeps getting turns in her life when even Daddy’s saying don’t coincide with her wants. The book is filled with cliffhangers and mystery surrounding the infamous Balanchines. Zevin brings the book to life by giving us an unreal thought, “Chocolate and caffeine are illegal”, and letting us explore what our less apocalyptic future will be. Zevin also produces a new theme. In All These Things I’ve Done, Anya is born into a mafia family. She doesn’t like it, and tries to stay away from it as much as possible. The theme in this book would be sometimes the fault is in one’s family. None of the poisoning or the deaths in her life is her fault. Anya has had to live with the dangerous nature of her relatives, and has had to pay for it.

In the end, Gabrielle Zevin delivers a thrilling and tantalizing novel that will have the reader on the edge of their seat, waiting to know the rest. Zevin leaves readers wondering things, and putting together the pieces of the puzzle she created. All These Things I’ve Done is a wonderful read and an astounding tale that will intrigue the minds of readers everywhere.

this book was interesting but yes i agree it does have the worst love story because its forbidden. she also talks and quotes a lot about her dad. in my opinion this was worth reading just that hopefully the sequel is better.

deleted member Jul 07, 2013 05:28PM   0 votes
I really like this book. I think you should read it.

I loved this book this is my favorite books out of all the books that I've ever read. A really good book!!!