J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > Do you like the series because of

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 168 comments One of the things I love about this series - and am amazed by - is that Eve and Roarke remain a great couple. So many books burn out or flounder after the couple is united. But, JDR has found something that works.

message 2: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 72 comments The Roarke/Eve dynamic
The Peabody/Eve dynamic
The general cast of characters
The plot arc

It is the combination of character and plot that makes these book stand out. Although Roarke, Eve, and Peabody are the main one's,I am always disappointed when I don't get enough time with the other regulars,

message 3: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 25, 2012 01:33AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I came from a romance "background"... I really kind of hate mystery books. And the "mystery" in the first book is NOT—and is STILL not—my cup of tea. (I don't like the murders that involve sexual elements. They're the WORST.)

So the Roarke/Eve romance (and just Eve's character alone) was DEFINITELY what got me to read the second book. Mavis totally grew on me during Book 2, then in Book 3, when Mavis was the "suspect", and Leonardo was introduced... I was sold on the whole cast of characters!

Then, of course, in order to have a successful 40+ book series, the world has to be believable and the plot arc HAS to be good. At first, I felt kind of ridiculous. "I'm reading a book that takes place in FUTURE NYC, where there are flying cars and robots everywhere!" But it's SO engrossing that I find myself using phrases from "the future"! I was at the grocery store and exclaimed (aloud, to my toddler), "These bananas look like they've been run over by a maxibus!" Errr.. oops! Those don't actually exist, do they?

The overall story arc is great, as well. I know some people are like, "Dude, Eve! I've been reading your stories for 10 years! Get over your parent issues!" But I've only been reading them for a year, and the story takes place over a 2-year period, so I find that reasonable. I enjoy MOST of the crime-solving, but even when the murder elements (a) gross me out, (b) freak me out, (c) are "boring", the overall story arc and learning more about the characters' lives keeps me reading.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I love the series for 3 reasons;

1. The police work seems believable. I HATE when a cop in a book just looks at the scene and jumps to a conclusion without looking under. In Witness in Death Eve and Peabody walk upon a scene in which someone has hung themselves and Peabody says. He killed himself and Eve said something like you just can't jump to that conclusion. They do some looking into his computer etc and figure out someone pushed him to kill himself.

2. I LOVE LOVE the relationship interactions. Roarke with Eve, peabody, McNab, Feeney, Whitney, Mira, Dennis, etc.

3. I love the sense that they continue to grow, change, and make mistakes.

message 5: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 72 comments Dee wrote: "I love the series for 3 reasons;

1. The police work seems believable. I HATE when a cop in a book just looks at the scene and jumps to a conclusion without looking under. In Witness in Death E..."

I want to add your #3 to my list. The growth of characters, especially Eve, is something I love about this series.

message 6: by Jemi (new)

Jemi Fraser Characters for me too. They all evolve - no one is static - and they're all unique and so interesting!