message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments Two more:
Simple Truth by Jodi Picoult
The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments # 4
Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance
by Atul Gawande

Very interesting treatise on the state of healthcare in the US. Highly recommended.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments # 5
Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

Good read...however I've talked to others who actually HATED it...can't wait for the movie to be released.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #6 - The Associate by John Grisham

Certainly not his best work -- in fact, probably in the lower two-thirds. The plot had promise, but there were so many areas that it feel short. And the ending really was disappointing....if you LOVE Grisham, you could give it a try, but don't expect it to inspire you.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #7 - Church of the Dog by Kaya McLaren

a really sweet book -- some spiritualism, great characters, and a great dose of a strong women being themselves.

#8 - Dead Ringer by Lisa Scottolini

an earlier Bennie Rosato book that I had missed. Not her best, but always good for an escape.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #9 Uncommon Grounds by Sandra Balzo

new mystery series....starting in a cappucino place, where the milk frother is rigged to KILL....cute, escapism....and there are more in the series!

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #10 Plum Lovin'
by Janet Evanovich

It's a between the letters book -- a quick read, with several good belly laughs in it...her descriptions of 'life in the 'hood' are not to be missed.

message 9: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments We love Steph! A New Jersy hooray for 10!

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #11 Hard Row
by Margaret Maron

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #12 Shooting at Loons
by Margaret Maron

#13 Life Sentences
by Laura Lippman

message 12: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #14
Lethal Legacy
by Linda Fairstein

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #15
Dying in Style
Elaine Viets

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #16
Between The Tides
by Patti Callahan Henry

message 15: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (mfran) | 352 comments Elaine Viets who used to have a column in the St. Louis DisPatch? Did you enjoy the book?

message 16: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments When I lived in St. Louis I loved her column...I read her first book and was disappointed. How's this one?

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments Fran wrote: "Elaine Viets who used to have a column in the St. Louis DisPatch? Did you enjoy the book?"

Probably, because the book is about a "Secret Shopper" and takes place in St. Louis....try it -- it was very entertaining!

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #17
I Feel Bad About My Neck
by Nora Ephron

Very good -- for a woman of "a certain age" -- rang very true and was full of her great wit.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #18
Coast Road
by Barbara Delinsky

message 20: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #19
TRUE DETECTIVES, by Jonathan Kellerman

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments # 20
WHISPER TO THE BLOOD
by Dana Stabenow

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #21
SHOP TIL YOU DROP
by Elaine Viets

message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #22
American Woman
by Susan Choi

Interesting read -- particularly for folks of a "certain age" with clear recollections of the SLA and the Patty Hearst "kidnapping" -- the story is retold, but only the names have been changed as far as I can tell. Initially I didn't like it, because from my perspective it was billed as fiction -- once I resigned myself to the fact that it was a retelling of a well-known event (and of course, figured out who the re-named individuals were), I enjoyed it. There are well-developed characters, and Choi has an almost poetic writing style -- something that would have likely been missing if this had been a true "non-fiction" work.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #23
We Are All Welcome Here
by Elizabeth Berg

message 25: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #24
Heart and Soul
by Maeve Binchy

The Rose of Sebastopol
by Katherine McMahon

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments Hey -- just realized -- I'm HALFWAY!!!!

message 27: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments yes you are!!!!

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments I've just found out that my only grandchild is moving to this area, so my reading time is likely to decrease...wish me luck

message 29: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments How fun for you!!!! Don't worry one bit about your reading; have a ball!

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaroby) Jan wrote: "I've just found out that my only grandchild is moving to this area, so my reading time is likely to decrease...wish me luck"

Good luck, and have fun! Maybe you could read to or with your grandchild. What a fun opportunity you have to share your love of books. Just a suggestion of course. Have fun in whatever way you can, and enjoy that little one!

Amanda R. in Louisville

message 31: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Woo hoo! Congrats on 1/2 way!!

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #26
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

Loved it! Makes me want to go back to Hawai'i and this time pay attention to the history instead of the "paradise"

message 33: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #27
Wicked Prey
by John Sandford

Not his best, but it did have some entertainment value...developed the character of Letty more than in any of his other books. Is it just me or is Lucas Davenport turning into a foul-mouthed jerk...

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments # 28
Housekeeping
by Marilynne Robinson

This was her first book; much of it read like stream of consciousness. There are very poetic lines in it, however, and would love to be able to "talk" that way -- just think what kind of reaction I'd get!

# 29
Lake News
by Barbara Delinsky

Not wonderful -- I got a little bit impatient with the Lily character -- it took too long for her to fight back; but then again, we all have our ways of coping.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Jan wrote: "I've just found out that my only grandchild is moving to this area, so my reading time is likely to decrease...wish me luck"

You'll just be reading a different kind of book!

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Jan wrote: "# 28
Housekeeping
by Marilynne Robinson

This was her first book; much of it read like stream of consciousness. There are very poetic lines in it, however, and would love to be able to "talk" ..."

Have you read other Robinson books? I think her writing is just wonderful. I've read "Home" and am reading "Gilead" (I know it's backwards but that's how it worked out!). The characters are so good.

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #29
Salem Falls
by Jodi Piccoult

message 38: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #30
Nineteen Minutes
by Jodi Picoult

Okay.....so it's starting to seem like a one-note symphony....but I've made up my mind I'm going to read all the Picoult books I've missed...

message 39: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #31
Saving Faith
by Jodi Picoult

Stolen
by Jason Pinter

So, I think I may read some of his other stuff -- although the editing leave a bit to be desired (I so wish I could have an opportunity to read some of these galleys before they are published....fix things like: The guy leaves his office in mid-town Manhattan at 5 pm on an August day and takes the train uptown -- 20 minutes max -- and upon exiting the subway says something about the sun setting... Give me a break -- in August the sun would be setting about 7:45 pm...at 5:30 it would still be broad daylight. Anyway, the plot was well constructed and I wonder if any of you "50 Books" folks have read any other Henry Parker stories that Pinter has produced. It appears there are quite a few out there.

message 40: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #33
Plum Spooky
by Janet Evanovich

I think this one may be my favorite "between the numbers" novel. She just doesn't write these things fast enough!

While My Sister Sleeps
By Barbara Delinsky

Not as good as Coast Road, but a good read, nonetheless.

message 41: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #35
The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell
by Lillian Jackson Braun

Finger Lickin' Fifteen
by Janet Evanovich

message 42: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #37
In Big Trouble
by Laura Lippman

message 43: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments # 38
Death's Half Acre
by Margaret Maron

message 44: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments # 38
Death's Half Acre
by Margaret Maron

message 45: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #39
Guilty
by Jason Pinter

message 46: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments I see I missed one earlier on so we'll call this
# 40
The Mark
by Jason Pinter

message 47: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments # 41
Sand Sharks
by Margaret Maron

# 42
A Duty to the Dead
by Charles Todd

message 48: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments #43
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
by Stieg Larsson

# 44
Perfect Match
by Jodi Picoult

message 49: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments Went back over my hand written list and there are several I have missed:

# 45 Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
# 46 The Rose of Sebastopol by Katherine McMahon
# 47 206 Bones by kathy Reichs
# 48 The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn parkhurst
# 49 The Blood Detective by Dan Waddell

message 50: by Jan (new)

Jan | 119 comments # 50 Rough Country by John Sandford

« previous 1