Terminalcoffee discussion

Help! I Need Help! > Help with screenplay

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I need help. Any advice would be appreciated. I wrote a comedy screenplay and now don't know how to sell it. I tried emailing/writing some production companies, but after many "we are returning your work unread..." I gave up. Any one know of another way to have someone read it?

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments Maybe look at how Matt Damon and Ben Affleck did it? Move to L.A. and make friends?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments Scout is correct - you need to network and sometimes it takes a long time for it to pay off. It's that way everywhere in the entertainment industry. Most of the time here in Nashville no one really takes you seriously until they've seen you struggle for about a decade.

message 4: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Thanks for the replies. I tried sending queries to production companies but got nowhere. I know one person in the movie business in Houston (!); he says he's interested but no luck so far. I think the competitions are what I'll try next. By the way, I was in the same class in college as Matt Damon; it's a little late for me to follow his lead.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
Nonsense! Lillian Carter applied to the Peace Corps at age 68.

message 6: by Cyril (new)

Cyril It's a little late to drop out of college.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments It's never too late to start a new venture as long as you're willing to put in the work. You have to remember that most of these people you send/give your manuscript to are being send hundreds of them all the time.

You can also try finding a local film or commercial production company and ask about writing scripts for them. This can get you started building a reputation and possibly lead to more connections. It's not an overnight thing for most people.