Q&A with Joanne Phillips discussion

Can't Live Without
This topic is about Can't Live Without
Your own 'can't live without' list

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
In the book, Stella writes a list of all the things she thinks she can't live without after she loses all her belongings in a fire. What do you think would be on your list? Do you think your list would have been very different 10 years ago? And what might be on it in 10 years time?

Emma (eharrison) | 7 comments Hello!
Well I already wrote my list on your blog and I can't even remember what I put. My list would definitely have been different ten years ago because I would have been 12 :p, but I don't think I would have even had one then as I wasn't a very happy 12 year old. I don't really like thinking about the future so I'm going to say my list probably wouldn't change much from now to then...the usual mobile, food (obviously), cosy bed :) Booooring really.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Well I already wrote my list on your blog and I can't even remember what I put."
Your list included your phone, books, music and your duvet :-) I'd have to agree with all these!

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
I figure I should put up my own list, so here goes:

My ghost chair
Pinot Grigio
Laptop and internet connection
Ready supply of books
Photos, especially our wedding photos
A very long, very hot bath!
Every single item in my house

OK, cheating a bit with that last one, but I really do attach sentimental value to each individual thing… And if I don't, I throw it away.
And of course, family and friends - goes without saying!

message 5: by Layla (new)

Layla (layla_alammar) hmmm my list would be...

1. My cat
2. As many books as I could carry
3. Antique Jewelry collection

.... I think that's it... anything else could be replaced :p

message 6: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Valente | 6 comments I seem to be getting less and less sentimental about objects as I get older. Years ago I would have been desperate if I had lost certain items (jewellery/books/ornaments/pictures/photos etc) but having moved house frequently over the last decade I attach less value to things and much more to memories. So the thing I couldn't live without is my memory. Everything else is replaceable (friends and family excluded obviously - and the cat). But if my house caught fire I would defintely grab my handbag which contains, purse/passport and memory stick with my latest drafts of novels/scripts that I am working on.

Penelope | 1 comments I agree with Frankie about being less sentimental about objects as I get older. Ten years ago my list would have included my garden/my plants and my nursery. Still on my list is a long, hot bath every night/books/computer/camera/pens and A4 pads/extra duvet to keep warm and sadly now the ashes of my little dog Saffron. In ten years time - a magnifying glass as my eyesight fails and my memory.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
It's such a good point about getting less sentimental as we get older - although it's funny as you'd think it would be the other way around. I wonder if it's because we just get wiser, and start to attach less importance to 'things'? Or maybe, by the time we reach, say 40, we've already had to get rid of so much stuff we start to realise we can do without it!
Mind you, in my 20s I moved so many times I could fit every one of my belongings in my car easily - now I'd need a very large removal van! In ten years time ... well, I'm hoping to retire early and live on a canal boat, so hopefully my list will be very short :)

Emma (eharrison) | 7 comments Aw a canal boat would be amazing!

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
Yes, I'll be living the dream in ... um ... hopefully not too many years! Must sell more books! :)

message 11: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma (eharrison) | 7 comments Joanne wrote: "Yes, I'll be living the dream in ... um ... hopefully not too many years! Must sell more books! :)"

How many is it now that you've sold? If you don't mind me asking. x

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
As of today, I've sold 103 so far! It's a solid start - more readers needed ...

message 13: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Wester Good for you - you got over 100! Must keep selling... My own mantra...

I would be gutted if I lost my writing... Which makes me think of keeping a back up on a memory stick and keeping it with me at all times :) xx

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 24 comments Mod
Hi Vanessa,
I've just discovered Drop Box, which is free 'cloud' storage. If you pop stuff in your drop box you'll never lose it, apparently. Can't be bad :)