The Kite Runner The Kite Runner discussion

Hard- but good

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan We read this in our book club the first fo the year. It had some hard subject matter, studied a part of life I like to pretend doesn't exist, but I think I gained a lot personally from reading it. I really want to study more about the conflicts in the middle east and the way of life.

message 2: by Uma (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uma It's also a look at what an Afghanis life is like when they come to America. I found those chapters extremely interesting too.

message 3: by Sharon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Murphy The author has such insight on the Afghan culture. I found it a page turner and I read his second book in two days. The story was very touching and the way it ended haunted me for days.

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather Both this book and Thousand Splendid Suns taught me a lot about Afghan history and culture. Both are very difficult to read (both have people subject to physical and mental abuse).

Deena I read it in 2006 and was completely at a loss as to why it's garnered so much critical attention.

The story was fairly entertaining, and gave decent insight into Afghan culture and history, but any literary inspection proves that its is incredibly weak and hollow, as a novel.

It's too neat (the hare-lips, the easily identifiable enemy, the retribution). the assef character just happens to embody the two most hateful groups in modern history (Nazism and the taleban), amir is able to save hassan's son from a fate suffered by his fathe... I felt as if I was watching a made-for-tv special.

the story also tends to accelerate at a ridiculous rate during the final third of the book, which seems to be an editing fault. perhaps hosseini had a page limit to keep to, but it doesn't make for good reading.

This is all, of course, my own opinion, but thats what we're here for I guess.

Rika I think the best thing about Kite Runner is the ambivalence that I personally felt in regards to the main character. That was the beauty of Hosseini's work because he has what I would call a slightly skewed moral compass, the way he treats Hassan was horrible, but he knows what he is doing and he accepts his cowardice. So you don't like him but you sort of respect him and sympathize with him. Him saving Hassan's son redeems his previous cruelty.
One thing that I didn't like I know it was symbolic ending but I didn't like it. I wanted more.

Maggie The end of The Kite Runner made me cry. I can't remember when that happened last, if its ever happened before. Its one of my favorites.

Michael T It is good because, like life, it's gray and doesn't allow for easy answers.

And it makes you want to try afghan chicken

Anne Maven The focus seems to be the main character's inability to cope with his own guilt. The act of rescuing Hassan's son is wonderful. I was left with the feeling that the author's guilt would be faced everyday with the boy right there in front of him. I understand that the book was not meant to be celebratory. But the feeling of helplessness is pervasive. Even in the end when the child begins to respond in just one way. The author's studied ambivalence toward his friend and his disappointment at his own cowardice made this story difficult to accept. It is still a powerful story.Anne Maven

message 10: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Baldi I read this book quite a few years ago. I remember it and think of it often. I normally do not read books on this subject matter and only picked this up because of the book club I belonged to at that time. I can't say that it changed my life but it certainly has stuck with me. It actually took my breath away. I don't understand how anyone could not have been moved by this book and deconstructing the way that it is written takes it's power away. It's because of the construction of the book that it is so moving. Now I do understand how writing can irritate the heck out of you in some books so I guess it is just a matter of taste. But I always recommend this to people as a supremely good read.

Rachael Pedersen Maggie wrote: "The end of The Kite Runner made me cry. I can't remember when that happened last, if its ever happened before. Its one of my favorites."

Me too. Such a touching story, and unfortunately in todays world, so true.

Helen Taylor I liked it because the main character was quiet awful, and he knew it. Not often an author is brave enough to make the lead a not so morally rightous character

Michael T He is awful? Compared to what...Afghanistan?

Helen Taylor No, compared to the usual goody two shoes characters that are in main stream novels. Maybe coward would have been a better choice of words

Rachael Pedersen I can see why people would feel like he was a coward, and in many ways he was, but when you couple that with the neglect he got from his father it makes it easier to understand how such a young boy would behave like that

Cristina Gaddi I love the works of Khaled Hosseini. So much that I don't want to watch the movie version of Kite Runner, as I'm so scared that it ruined the book. My friends saw it and they love the movie eventhough they haven't read the book..

Rachael Pedersen I think you would really enjoy the movie, it is well cast, acted perfectly, and quite faithful to the book.

Carol Fears I read the book about six years ago and was totally enthralled by the glimpse of life in Afghanistan. The descriptive passages were vivid and colorful. The complex relationship between the boys explored class status, custom and friendship.
The conflict within the main character provided a good sense of tension in the arc of the story.

Carol Fears I found this novel to be a bountiful resource on the culture and lifestyle of the Afghans before 2001. I had always imagined Afghanistan as a veritable wasteland of desert and cattle herders, but my eyes were opened to the fact that there were indeed privileged folk living there, held up by class discrimination and religious intolerance. The relationship between two boys is complex and illuminates the relationships in the general population where religious and cultural differences fuel internal strife. I loved this book and sped through it in a matter of a few days, and have been tempted to pick it iup again, which I rarely do. A solid five stars.

message 20: by Rini (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rini Yf I read a thousand splendid sun first then kite runner. they both good books, but I think a splendid thousand sand more touchy than kite runner. It tells more complex problem.

Bella Street Kite Runner was a great book, and A Thousand Splendid Suns was too. Both show a side of life in Afghanistan that was revealing and surprising. However, I recommend a book--that's even 'harder' to read--that gives an even more intimate view of life under oppression: Reading Lolita In Tehran. It's one of those books that destroys presuppositions and misunderstanding. Absolutely amazing.
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

Lorena Agreed! The Movie was great too and so like the book, i am so happy they did not ruin it.

Leigh Ann This book made me sad...

message 24: by Amir (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amir Masterpiece,stoning book with such complex emotions,so realistic,powerful to change your conceptions about the existing reality.

message 25: by Lia (last edited Sep 07, 2012 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lia Leigh Ann wrote: "This book made me sad..."

thats how it made me to.

Kaeley Scruggs I love this book for it's symbolism and wisdom.

Diana very hard hitting book!
the author has a gift and was able to evoke so many different kinds of emotions......i smiled, i laughed, i cried, i got angry, i became sad, and i became hopeful.
one of the best books i have read in a loooong time!

Guilie A wonderful read at so many different levels. This (and Thousand Splendid Suns) is among the books I read and reread over and over, and each time I find new jewels to marvel over.

message 29: by Npb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Npb This was a really good book. I have not read a Thousand Splendid Suns but is it good?

Anahita Nanda I have read many Pakistan and Afghan based novels, and in the end, after every book I finish this unsettling feeling rests in my chest, there's nothing you can do, but it's everything you wanna do. It's frustrating and real.

Michael T That sounds like the perfect description of Pakistan. Perhaps that should be their motto.

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Npb wrote: "This was a really good book. I have not read a Thousand Splendid Suns but is it good?"

Both books are fabulous. I am really looking forward to this author's new book ---And the Mountains Echoed

message 33: by Michael (last edited Mar 16, 2013 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael T Someone I know actually just got robbed at gunpoint in Islamabad, I think it was.

message 34: by Ji (new) - rated it 1 star

Ji Deena wrote: "I read it in 2006 and was completely at a loss as to why it's garnered so much critical attention.

The story was fairly entertaining, and gave decent insight into Afghan culture and history, but a..."

Deena wrote: "I read it in 2006 and was completely at a loss as to why it's garnered so much critical attention.

The story was fairly entertaining, and gave decent insight into Afghan culture and history, but a..."

Farnaaz Cristina wrote: "I love the works of Khaled Hosseini. So much that I don't want to watch the movie version of Kite Runner, as I'm so scared that it ruined the book. My friends saw it and they love the movie eventho..."
so true...very insightful

Retta Great book! If you get a chance go to see the movie.

message 37: by Lara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lara Dorman-Gajic Movie was really bad... but I think everyone should read A Thousand Splendid Suns amazing but so terribly sad!

David Kalis Fantastic book. Much better than the movie, as they always are. Disturbing in parts, but thoughtful overall.

message 39: by Sidra (new) - added it

Sidra Mobin Helen wrote: "I liked it because the main character was quiet awful, and he knew it. Not often an author is brave enough to make the lead a not so morally rightous character"

rightly said!

message 40: by Rico (last edited Apr 03, 2014 08:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rico Lamoureux Just finished it. So powerful and wonderfully written.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Sweta It is a very good book. I keep recommending it to my friends and urging them to read. Not only it is a good story but a very good insight into Afghanistan & its culture, into lives of Afghan people inside as well as outside the country. I feel so sad thinking about how much a country has suffered through years and years. Hosseini takes you through a roller coaster of emotions by mingling the facts and the story.

And the movies is good too..

Nisreen A beautiful piece of writing. Very inspiring and engaging.