Lush Library discussion

The Song of Achilles
This topic is about The Song of Achilles
Past Group Reads > The Song of Achilles - Progress and non spoiler thread

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sophia (pageplucker) | 230 comments Mod
Who's going to read along this month? Any first impressions to share? Tell all here!

message 2: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen  | 120 comments Bit wishy washy at first, but here's hoping that it improves!!

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
I'll be reading along. I finally managed to find a copy yesterday, after finding it sold out almost everywhere. As soon as I finish The Sealed Letter, I'll be joining in.

Karen wrote: "Bit wishy washy at first, but here's hoping that it improves!!"

I agree, it was a bit Prince Herbert at first. Don't worry, things improve hugely once the battles start!

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
Sophia wrote: "Karen wrote: "Bit wishy washy at first, but here's hoping that it improves!!"

I agree, it was a bit Prince Herbert at first. Don't worry, things improve hugely once the battles start!"

I concur;)

Sam (VanillaFountain) | 577 comments Mod
I like it, I may be a little bit sentimental but I love all the emotional bits, these are the things I wanted to know after watching Troy. I grew up listening to stories about God's and Godesses' (sp)? too tired too look for the correct spelling, anyway my Uncle is Greek so this kind of thing fascinates me, yet if I hadn't got it from the library I wouldn't have bought a copy as I didn't think it would be any good :/ I'm glad I'm wrong... :)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
I started reading this morning, and I'm already hooked. I read Homer at university a few years ago, and I didn't think anything would be able to match it, but this is really very good. It flows so beautifully, and the characters seem so alive :)

Yes I totally agree Sarah it is really well written, I now see the film in a whole new way. Going to have to watch it again I think :)

message 9: by Kirsty (last edited Jun 20, 2012 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
I much prefer The Memoirs Of Cleopatra by Margaret George (bit of a hefty one but wow and written like an autobiography! so I'm thinking Helen of Troy by Margaret George would be a good if you want to continue the Troy theme), Alexander Child of a Dream (Alexander, #1) by Valerio Massimo Manfredi Alexander The Sands of Ammon (Alexander, #2) by Valerio Massimo Manfredi Alexander The Ends Of The Earth (Alexander, #3) by Valerio Massimo Manfredi (trilogy and quite heavy on the detail) and of course River God A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #1) by Wilbur A. Smith and The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur A. Smith (which got me into historical fiction in the first place and are difficult to put down)

Has anyone read The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood ? I quite fancy it.

Oooh that looks interesting Sophia :)