Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

June-July 2012 Group Read > Part 4: Dead Man's Errands (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Comments for Part 4 go here.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Was Arlen so brave in his pursuit of Paul to rescue him because of the smoke he saw in his own eyes, or in spite of it? I think in spite of it.
Arlen certainly feared being like his Father and speaking to and for the dead, yet early in the book we see that he speaks to the soon-to-be-dead when he could to try to prevent their deaths.
The pursuit of the Sheriff and Tate, using the guidance he heard from Owen (and his Father!) and then in turn from each of the others, the length and breadth of Arlen's pursuit was very powerful.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I think in spite of it. Arlen was totally worried about Paul when the smoke firt appeared in Paul's eyes, after Wade touched him. Arlen was determined to keep Paul away from Wade, he did not wnat anything to happen to him.

Then when Arlen say the smoke in his own eyes, at that point, it was all about saving Paul before he died, even if it meant not having a chance to see Rebecca again.

Ann, how did you feel about Arlen not dying in the battle?? I didn't really like that part, I was glad to see that he made it through, but based on the story, after Arlen saw smoke in his eyes, and his skeleton in the window, technically he should have died... right???

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Linda: I was actually ok with it when I realized what it meant, I will comment over in the comment thread for part five.
Linda wrote: " how did you feel about Arlen not dying in the battle?? I didn't really like that part, I was glad to see that he made it through, but based on the story, after Arlen saw smoke in his eyes, and his skeleton in the window, technically he should have died... right??? "

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments ok - running over there.........