Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

June-July 2012 Group Read > Part 1: Sojourners (SPOILER ALERT)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Part 1 comments go here.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments What is everyone thinking about the first part?? There is someting strange going on in Corridor County. Who else is thinking that the sheriff and the judge are very odd characters, and why is the judge so interested in Arlene and Paul??

message 3: by Ann (last edited Jun 03, 2012 02:03PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Linda: This part one made me wonder what kind of horror story I am getting into. The sound effects on the audio especially in the first few minutes when I didn't know what to expect gave a creepy twist to the listening.
Funny, as with most audio books I listen to, I have no idea how to spell the place names or names of characters. I didn't quite catch it was Corridor County (not familiar with Florida to know if that is a real place) it was a very well described setting however, very atmospheric.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Jun 03, 2012 02:07PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments It took listening to a few CD's (there were 11) to completely settle in my mind the time frame for the story setting. It had an unreal quality to it. References to the war, some of the details of the train and the work crews purpose all placed it in the past, but a bit murky as to the when at first. This may have been quite clear in print.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Funny you say that Ann, I am also not really familiar with Florida either, even though I live in Georgia, I only know the major cities. But I also wondered if Corridor County is a real place.

At this point I have mixed emotions, I am sure more of the story will evolve in the next part.

message 6: by Debra (new)

The reference to World War I, France, Belleau Wood was something new to me. I'd never heard of that battle; but then again, I'm not really a war buff. Weird thing is, another book I'm reading refers to that same battle. Two books in a row with the same battle, weird coinkydink, eh?

I was feeling anxious about the folks in Corridor County right from the start. Bad things on the horizon. Worried about our protagonist and want him out of there!

message 7: by Debra (new)

Hey Ann: I know what you mean about not being able to pick up certain words when listening to audio. I'm not an avid listener like you are, but do like to have a book going in my car most of the time. Some I've read in print and am now listening to. I'm finding I'm really enjoying the listening part!

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Debra wrote: "The reference to World War I, France, Belleau Wood was something new to me. I'd never heard of that battle; but then again, I'm not really a war buff. Weird thing is, another book I'm reading ref..."

I agree Debra, something is up with Corridor County and the people who live there. I know Arlen was anxious to leave, Paul is a little starry eyed right now. Though, I do understand them being men and not leaving Rebecca with all of that work to do after the hurricane hit - but they really need to be on their way!!!

message 9: by Debra (new)

Yeah, I was screaming for them to just up and leave! But being manly men they just has to stay!

message 10: by Debra (new)

I mentioned earlier how anxious I felt while reading. Paul and Arlen end up getting arrested, and Arlen beaten, just as I expected. And Arlen took the beating stoically, even with some sarcastic humor. I wanted him to stay out of trouble, keep his smart mouth shut. I was afraid he'd get beaten near death. Still don't know why the sheriff and judge let the 2 out of jail. They were drifters and could have easily been killed and forgotten. I sure it's not the first time drifters have disappeared in Corridor County!

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I thought about that as well, I do remember Arlen telling Paul that they would be set free, I wonder how he know that, unless something like this had happened to him before.

message 12: by Debra (new)

Glad I don't have Arlen's ability to see death in people's faces. What a burden. People don't believe him and then they die. All those men on that train died. What a sad and lonely existence Arlen must have had.

message 13: by Debra (new)

Anyone ever been through a hurricane? I son lives in Florida and he had one close call, but fortunately he has not lost property or been harmed in any.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments I am land locked from the oceans so no hurricanes for me! Surrounded by lakes and rivers so the power of water and tornados are a threat. I remember being fascinated when reading of the experience of being in a hurricane when I was a child.

message 15: by Debra (new)

No hurricanes here, either. But we do get tornadoes and one hit our property a few years ago, uprooting a huge maple we had in our yard. That was quite a shocker.

So, Ann, are you saying you were in a hurricane, but were too little to remember it on your own? Who wrote the experience you read?

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I use to live in Houston Texas and we didn't get hurricanes there, but the would come in to Galveston, Texas which is not too far from Houston, which means we did get a lot of the rain that comes with them.

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 47 comments Debra wrote: "Anyone ever been through a hurricane? I son lives in Florida and he had one close call, but fortunately he has not lost property or been harmed in any."

As a FL resident since '76, I've been through many. I was living in So Fla when Andrew hit. My area only suffered relatively minor damage (I lost a carport,etc), but parts of Miami looked like a totally ravaged war zone.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 466 comments Debra: Tornadoes are super scary. Sorry you were so close to one! I wish I could remember the book I read as a child describing the preparation needed to have property ready and the need to evacuate, though many would not.

Debra wrote: "No hurricanes here, either. But we do get tornadoes and one hit our property a few years ago, uprooting a huge maple we had in our yard. ......So, Ann, are you saying you were in a hurricane, but were too little to remember it on your own? Who wrote the experience you read? ."

message 19: by Debra (new)

Tom wrote: "Debra wrote: "Anyone ever been through a hurricane? I son lives in Florida and he had one close call, but fortunately he has not lost property or been harmed in any."

As a FL resident since '76, ..."

Were you scared, Tom? My son lives in St Petersburg and has had a few scares!

message 20: by Debra (new)

Ann wrote: "Debra: Tornadoes are super scary. Sorry you were so close to one! I wish I could remember the book I read as a child describing the preparation needed to have property ready and the need to evacuat..."

Fortunately, my sister and I were not at the house when the tornado hit. We heard there was NO warning, so we wouldn't have had time to evacuate. It was a freak storm. If that maple had fallen on our house, we could have been killed. No one was hurt, but there was a lot of damage left in its path. Just getting rid of the maple was quite a task.