Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Introduction and Group Admin > Announcements!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Check here for current events and issues.

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments We're going to make a new change starting for the September Book of the Month(s):

Two Discussion Leaders per book!

From now on the person who nominates the winning book of the month will co-lead the discussion of the book with the moderator.

This does mean a few things:

1. If you aren't really interested in reading a book, don't nominate it!
2. If you doubt that you'll have time to participate in that month's discussion, don't nominate it!

Now, don't feel all stressed...you still don't have to go it alone. Moderators will always be active leaders in book discussions, too.

message 3: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments General information:
one of the moderator groups suggested "re-booting" threads once they have a certain number of posts, such as 500 or 1000, so it doesn't intimidate members from jumping into discussions, especially 'introductions' and 'what are you reading now.' Just so you know! If you have thoughts on it, feel free to share.

message 4: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Also, we are going to delete the "Challenge" on our home page so that we can run a new one. Unfortunately, it means people doing the challenge will lose information or something. Apparently it's still a wonky area of GR and we can't just "archive" it the way we would other threads.

message 5: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Welcome new peeps!

Your avid-reviewer mods are experiencing challenges at the moment with GR new policy of deleting bookshelves and reviews that focus on authors' negative behavior (see thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...)
We aren't as involved in posting at the moment, but rest assured, monthly reads will go on and we'll still be monitoring threads.

Read on!

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 68 comments So, I have noticed that there has not been any new reads added for December or going forward. Just wondering what is happening with the group.

I know that I've not participated as much as I'd like, but I really like the group picks.

Will the group continue moving forward?

message 7: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Valerie, it seems pretty unlikely that they will restart anytime soon. In fact, you are the first person to mention it in months, so it doesn't seem like there is a strong urge to do group reads. If you miss the group experience, most members seem to belong to multiple groups and many others groups have group reads. If you just like the selections of the past, I'd encourage you to grab the book and resurrect the old thread. :)

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire | 24 comments Hm, in the Apocalypse Whenever group they have a Bossy Book Challenge where you're teamed up with another person and you give each other something to read. It's pretty fun and doesn't require as much participation as a monthly read in order to be worth it
I was thinking of trying to start one here if it'd be cool

message 9: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Sure, feel free, Claire. We have it shelved under "Buddy Reads." You can start a thread looking for takers and take it from there.

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire | 24 comments Alright! I'll do that after the holidays

message 11: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 19, 2014 12:17PM) (new)

Jalilah Just chiming in to say I miss the group reads in this group! I am not suggesting that you have to start them up again and understand why you stopped. I did not participate in all of them because I don't like all types of fantasy, but I certainly discovered some good books in this group!

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 68 comments If the group ever does consider doing monthly reads again, I would suggest picking the books ahead of time, maybe pick the books for each season in advance? That give folks time to get the books from the library. I know I often have to wait for books to come in from holds since my library is not the best at stocking Fantasy.

Also, one book per month might be easier to stay on track, since fantasy books are often so long.