Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Partials (Partials Sequence, #1)
This topic is about Partials
Previous BRs - Authors; U - Z > Wells, Dan - Partials - Start Date June 22nd, 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:00PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
description
This topic will be open for discussion of Partials by Dan Wells on June 22nd. Be prepared for spoilers!

Goodreads Description:
Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the world’s population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island. The threat of the partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to the disease in over a decade. Humanity’s time is running out.

When sixteen-year-old Kira learns of her best friend’s pregnancy, she’s determined to find a solution. Then one rash decision forces Kira to flee her community with the unlikeliest of allies. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that the survival of both humans and partials rests in her attempts to answer questions of the war’s origin that she never knew to ask.

Combining the fast-paced action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Battlestar Galactica, Partials is a pulse-pounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question—one where our sense of humanity is both our greatest liability, and our only hope for survival.

Reading Schedule
Date Chapters Pages PPQCs*
June 22nd 1 - 6 1 - 59 Sashana
June 23rd 7 - 9 60 - 104 Sashana
June 24th 10 - 14 105 - 166 Sashana
June 25th 15 - 18 167 - 224 Lisarenee
June 26th 19 - 23 225 - 275 Sashana
June 27th 24 - 27 276 - 330 Sashana
June 28th 28 - 30 331 - 386 Lisarenee
June 29th 31 - 36 387 - 436 Mary
June 30th 37 - End 437 -468 Sashana
*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

Participants
Sashana
Stefani
Laura
Alley
Lisarenee
Mary

Discussion Questions

Chapters 1 – 6
1. Given the state of this world do you think it is right or wrong for the Hope Act to be implemented? Should the girls rebel against this law? Having baby after baby only to have them die is pretty horrible.
2. Do you think it would be safer to live in East Meadow or an outer community? Both Gianna and Brown made good points.
3. Gianna seems awfully bitter. Should we be worried about her?
4. I can already tell that his book will have a lot of medical and scientific jargon. Do you enjoy books that are heavy on the science and research?
5. What was your impression of today's reading? Did anything stand out? Any new forming theories that you'd like to share with us? Any favorite characters?
6. In the acknowledgement section Dan Wells writes, "This book is dedicated to the rule breakers, the troublemakers, and the revolutionaries. Sometimes the hand that feeds you needs a good bite."
Do you think this is foreshadowing on what's to come? Based on what you've read do you think the government's motives should be questioned?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 30, 2012 05:43PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
Discussion Questions Continued...

Chapters 7 - 9
7. I hate to say it but I'm starting to suspect Nandita. She has the perfect setup to be a part of the Voice with her out of town visits. Plus the talk she had with Kira triggered some red flags. Am I being overly paranoid here?
8. Can't say I'm surprised about Gianna being imprisoned. Were you? Do you think she is a really a member of the Voice. (Every time I say the Voice I think of the singing competition) Also is anyone else starting to feel like this is a 'witch trial'? "Are you the voice? Is she the voice? Is he the voice?" I am being paranoid, but hopefully I'm not alone in this.
9. I'm surprised that Madison is happy about her pregnancy even though there is a huge possibility of the baby dying. Do you think she should try to emotionally distance herself? How do you think you would feel (or handle the situation) if you were pregnant and knew it wouldn't end well?
10. Good call, Stefani! Although it seems implausible that Kira is the first one to have this thought (figuring out why the adults are immune to RM while newborns are not). Are the other researchers incredibly stupid/short sighted? Or are they just being tight lipped about their findings?
11. We've all been wondering about the Voice's motive. Isolde makes a great point: they are trying to destabilize the government through discord. What do you think of this theory? Do you have any different theories about their motives/goals?
12. Did the soldiers overstep their bounds while questioning Nandita? Did Kira?
13. I'm wondering if the researchers have tried to develop a vaccine for the babies. Think about it, vaccines usually have small dosages of the virus itself. So why not add weakened RM to the baby's immune system to see how it works?

Chapters 10 - 14
14. Wistful sigh. I know a lot of people enjoy that the romance in the book is minimal but I love the little scenes with Kira and Marcus. I wish there were more of em'!
15. I'm actually surprised that so much research went into RM. Are the older citizens letting their past cloud their progress? Was the doctor right or wrong to deny Kira's request?
16. Whose resistance to Kira's plan shocked you the most, Marcus's or Madison's?
17. What are some of the problems you foresee this group having while on their quest to find the Partials?

Chapters 15 - 18
18. Haru is not impressing me. I'm not sure what to think of him. He was the one who wanted to check out who was in the building and I think he made the right choice to go investigate. They were supposed to find a Partial after all, but some of his actions really bother me. I didn't think killing Scruffy was necessary and why was no one bothered by this?
19. Do you think Nick or Steve (aka Skinny and Scruffy) were in on the Partial takeover? We kept hearing that partials look like anyone else do you think either of them were in on it or do you think people are getting way to paranoid?
20. Do you think it's wise to take a Partial into the city? They remind me a bit of weebles--weebles wobble but they don't fall down. In the case of Partials it'd go Partials can be blasted but they won't lie down. Those guys are tough buggers. images of The Terminator and Robo Cop came to mind.
21. Do you think they're making Kira out to be a scape goat by letting her have 5 days with the Partial? That's not much time and why didn't they give her an assistant?
22. Smoking hot Partials. Could this prove to be a problem for Kira? Could she end up attracted to the Partial?
23. It really bothered me that Marcus didn't volunteer to go with Kira. Could he be a Partial or a member of the Voice who couldn't leave his position to be suspect in anything?
24. Partials can't reproduce. Does that mean the capability was taken away or it just never existed. Could they reproduce with a human? Could a genetic splice and dice take place? I wish we knew more about Partials. I'm wondering if they're like bionic people? Would there be enough human in them to make a non machine type child? But since they can think for themselves can they really be thought of as machines?

Chapters 19 - 23
25. Kira is obviously starting to form a bond with Samm. Do you think she will get in trouble for sympathizing with him? There are cameras watching their every move and no one wants Samm in town. I'm worried that she might get herself labeled as a member of the Voice.
26. "The Partials are engineered, she thought. A switch like that...could have been built right into them."
Could it be that the Partials were built intentionally to carry the RM virus with them? That the virus was 'manufactured' and not an accident?
27. Why would the Voice attack East Meadow for Samm? Were they trying to rescue him? It doesn't seem like they would go through all that trouble to capture and kill him. Is if possible that the Voice may have an alliance with the Partials?
28. "All we need is three and a half more days, right? Then we destroy it [Samm] and be done." Hobb shook his head. "It's not enough to just destroy it, like we've said before...we need to appear blameless."
What do you think this means for Samm? It seems like they are planning something bigger than death for him but what can be worse than death?
29. I loved the little tidbit Samm shared about working in the mines and wanting (and failing) to advance with what he was given. It made him seem more human. What did you think of the exchange?
30. Do you think the pheromones used to communicate will play a part in curing RM?
31. Kira and Marcus's relationship started off very light and jovial. Now, it is transforming. What do you think of their relationship? Of Marcus? Is he trying to control Kira's decisions?
32. Why would the government lower the pregnancy age now? We knew it was a possibility but wouldn't it be better to wait until they had the results of Kira's experiments? Then they could reveal that they exhausted all their options. Are they stupid, desperate, or trying to provoke citizens?

Chapters 24 - 27
33. Do you believe that Samm and the Partials want peace? He could be using this as a way to escape by playing on Kira's trust and curiosity. The whole we want peace thing seems too ideal and convinent.
34. Kira found a new form of RM in the blood sample she received from the newborn. Why isn't this new virus affecting the adults? It seems suspicious than an airborne disease would only affect babies when everyone is breathing the same air (and the adults have been exposed to it much longer). Is someone intentionally trying to target newborns?
35. "You have to help me...My heart is stopping...The beats are too erratic."
Okay, I know this is fiction but I don't think anyone would say this while getting electrocuted (or immediately after). They would be too busy screaming their head off or passed out.
36. Are you surprised that Mkele and Skousen killed Shaylon? Do you think they will attempt to kill Kira after her time with Samm is up? She won't be an "asset" if she fails to find the cure.
37. So many shockers! What did you did more surprising: the revelation that the Partials are dying, that the Senate blew up their own hospital, or Isolde's love child with Hobb (eww!) ?
38. Speaking of Isolde should we be weary of her? She's friends with people who oppose the government but she's carrying the future child of 'Uncle Sam'. She can't possibly coexist peacefully without her choosing a side.
39. The stupidity of the senate surprises me. They do something evil genius like setting a bomb and using Samm as a scapegoat but then they let Kira "recuperate" and "take her time". Are they honestly stupid enough to believe that she's not going to do something? The same girl who defied them to find a Partial? How short sighted are they?
40. I know why the humans would need the Partials (they hold the key to curing RM) but why would the Partials need the humans? I doubt anyone knows how to extend their expiration date. I guess I can say that I'm paranoid about the Partials too.

Chapters 28 - 30
41. So the Partials have no idea where things are on the island. Did Samm's lack of knowledge set off any warning bells?
42. Partials can't disobey or they are traitors. That is definitely a military type approach to things. Could this come back to bite them later?
43. The Trust is the senior command of the Partials which include 8 genrals from advanced templates. What do you make of this?
44. So the group got split up in the storm not good. Will the others find Kira?
45. Talk about a cliffhanger stopping point. Are you surprised Samm lied? What will happen to Kira? Did Samm do what Kira what she did to him? Gah!

Chapters 31 - 36
46. Another shocking plot twist - this time about Kira. I must admit, I had my suspicions that she was more than she seemed. What do you think of this revelation? How do you think her friends will react to the news?
47. I was disappointed that Samm chose not to go with Kira and the rest of the group back to East Meadow, though I understand his reasons. What would you have done, if you were Samm? It seems dangerous for him either way. Do you think Samm and Kira will ever see each other again?
48. How do you think Samm will work towards peace between the two species? Do you think the humans will be more likely to consider working with Partials once they see the cure for RM?
49. Were you surprised that Gianna and Owen Tovar turned out to be members of the Voice? Did you expect this of either of them? I found Gianna’s story of why she joined the Voice ironic.
50. What did you think of the riot’s aftermath? 200 people were killed as a result of Kira and her friends’ actions that day. Do you think they could have found another way to cause a distraction? Do you agree with Kira, that the loss of those lives was worth it, if the cure works?
51. Do you think Tovar’s plan to get Kira and her friends into the city will work as planned? What problems do you see arising?

Chapters 37 - End
52. We don't know much about Kira but do you think she is 100% Partial (a new 'breed') or a half human/half Partial (a Partial baby as Lisarenee would say)? We know she can age and she has a strong memory of her father -- the man in the photo.
53. Were you surprised by Haru's hostility towards the group? What a douche bag! I can't believe that he would so easily distrust them and not want them to help his daughter.
54. Way to go Madison! I'm so glad she stood up for herself and her baby!
55. The nerve of Hobb and the government to say, "We have discovered a cure..." as if they weren't trying to sidetrack Kira's efforts.
56. Do you think East Meadow's alliance with the Voice will last? Sam predicted that even if there was a cure for RM the discord would still continue. Do you agree? In your opinion what are some of the issues the government have to sort out?
57. Again, I'm amazed by how short sighted everyone in this book is -- more so after Hobb's play on words. No one but Kira is thinking about how the Partials dying would affect the future of the human race.
58. Are you surprised that Marcus chose to go searching for Samm with Kira? Do you think it will take him long to realize that Kira's gunshot wound is healing rapidly?
59. I knew something was up with Nandita! Were you shocked by the picture? Any idea of what the message 'Find the Trust' might mean?
60. What was your overall thought of the book? Star rating and reviews are welcomed.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments My library ordered two more copies and they're already being shelved. I might get it in time after all!

message 4: by Sashana (last edited Jun 16, 2012 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

message 5: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Looks good! Thanks, Sashana!

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments It looked like a movie trailer.

message 7: by Sashana (last edited Jun 16, 2012 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sashana Lisarenee wrote: "It looked like a movie trailer."

It reminds me of a company orientation video. But it is definitely one of the best book trailers I've seen in terms of quality and acting.

Sashana Lisa Kay wrote: "Looks good! Thanks, Sashana!"

No problem, LK.

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sashana wrote: "Lisarenee wrote: "It looked like a movie trailer."

It reminds me of a company orientation video. But it definitely one of the best book trailers I've seen in terms of quality and acting."

That too!

message 10: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Well, it makes me want to read the book, and I really didn't before. So, I would say it worked. ☺

Sashana Lisa Kay wrote: "Well, it makes me want to read the book, and I really didn't before. So, I would say it worked. ☺"

It left me really confused. I'll have to rewatch when I'm done reading.

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments LOL! Well, it cleared some things up for me! Funny.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I can't wait to get started on this one!

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Very cool trailer. It's so on the opposite spectrum of trying to be creepy that it creeps you out with the normalness of it lol.

message 15: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sashana, I got the video to post to our group. We got video capability which you suggested to Goodreads almost a year ago! Woohoo!

message 16: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Looking forward to reading this! Dan Wells is visiting my local indie bookstore beginning of next month to sign his new book.

Sashana Lisarenee wrote: "Sashana, I got the video to post to our group. We got video capability which you suggested to Goodreads almost a year ago! Woohoo!"

That's great, Lisa! I'm so glad that GR actually listens to member suggestion.

message 18: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (bjarnold61gmailcom) | 2 comments I just downloaded Partials to my Kindle.

message 19: by Nermeen (last edited Jun 20, 2012 11:33AM) (new)

Nermeen oh! i just started reading this!!

Sashana Be sure to drop by when we start discussing, JoAnn and Nermeen.

message 21: by Nermeen (new)

Nermeen kay, will do :)
when will u start discussing, btw? (sorry, im new so i dont know how any of this works)

Sashana No problem, Nermeen, if you're curious about anything feel free to ask. On Friday (June 22nd) we will read the first 50 pages of the book and someone will post discussion questions based on what we've read. We will continue reading 50 pages per day and asking questions until the book is finished. The chapter breakdown will be posted today. You can also take a look at the other Books of the Month in this folder to get an idea of how things work.

message 23: by Nermeen (new)

Nermeen cool, thanks :)

Sashana Reading Schedule
Date Chapters Pages PPQCs*
June 22nd 1 - 6 1 - 59 ?
June 23rd 7 - 9 60 - 104 ?
June 24th 10 - 14 105 - 166 ?
June 25th 15 - 18 167 - 224 ?
June 26th 19 - 23 225 - 275 ?
June 27th 24 - 27 276 - 330 ?
June 28th 28 - 30 331 - 386 ?
June 29th 31 - 36 387 - 436 ?
June 30th 37 - End 437 -468 ?

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

Kellyflower | 248 comments It took a lot of pages for me to finally be into this story (about 126).

It has a little Battlestar Galactica & Appleseed feel going on.

Sashana Bump! Just reminding everyone that we start reading this one tomorrow.

Sashana Discussion Questions for Chapter 1

1. Given the state of this world do you think it is right or wrong for the Hope Act to be implemented? Should the girls rebel against this law? Having baby after baby only to have them die is pretty horrible. 

2. Do you think it would be safer to live in East Meadow or an outer community? Both Gianna and Brown made good points. 

4. I can already tell that his book will have a lot of medical and scientific jargon. Do you enjoy books that are heavy on the science and research? 

5. What was your impression of today's reading? Did anything stand out? Any new forming theories that you'd like to share with us? Any favorite characters? 

6. In the acknowledgement section Dan Wells writes, "This book is dedicated to the rule breakers, the troublemakers, and the revolutionaries. Sometimes the hand that feeds you needs a good bite." 
Do you think this is foreshadowing on what's to come? Based on what you've read do you think the government's motives should be questioned? 

message 28: by Laura (last edited Jun 22, 2012 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Discussion Questions for Chapter 1-6

I could understand the importance of trying to figure out how to save babies, but I don't think it should be mandatory for children, which is essentially what these people are, to have them. I also disagree with making people try again and again and having to watch their babies die. Its awful.

I think both have their dangers. I think I would rather live in an outer farming community myself, but I don't like living in large cities.

I don't think she is a bad person, I think she just realizes what the others don't. I think that she see that what the government is doing is wrong. The government may also have an ulterior motive, or at least it seems to be that way to me. I don't know what yet, but I think there is one.

It depends on whether or not it is easy to understand. I don't mind it if it is explained well.

So far it is a bit interesting. I am wondering what these Voice people believe because it doesn't really explain other than to say that they disagree with the others. Is it the Hope Act they don't like or something else? It also sounds like Kira is having doubts about her great home city. I think its going to get good soon.

Yes indeed. He has already set the book up for this exact thing to happen. I am just wondering what their motives truly are.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Discussion Questions for Chapter 1

It is horrible and I can't imagine how awful it must be for the mothers. And I am a bit confused by their logic....if they can't figure out why the babies aren't immune, why not try to figure out why the adults are? Seems logical to me lol. I think given the circumstances they see it as their only option, and the decision of morally right and wrong are lost in the end of the world.

Both could be good or bad. On one hand you have security of a military and a government, but that can step out of bounds and be controlling. On the other hand you are literally alone if you get attacked but you are dictating the terms of your life. I think I'd take the latter.

I don't think she'll be a threat or a negative influence later, if anything she can be the jaded view of the person who has seen enough to know a bad idea when she sees it. The rest are just kids and this is all they know so it's harder to be objective.

When it's done well I love it. The author needs to do it in such a way that the average reader can comprehend it without too much trouble but detailed enough that its accurate. That's a hard balance to do well.

I am really enjoying it do far. The bombing shocked me a lot, I didn't see that coming. At this point I am just praying that it doesn't turn out the Partials didn't do anything wrong and they were just the scapegoats for the government or something. That would be horrendously predictable and I wouldn't like it.

I think the government's motives should always be questioned. Unless someone is there to keep them in check, governments have a tendency to get out of control.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments I don't know who has the ebook or the hardcover, but did you read the bit on the back:

"When our ancestors were attached at Pearl Harbor, they called it a day that would live in infamy. The day the Partials attacked us with the RM virus will not live in anything because there will be none of us left to remember it." -President David R. Creganm March 21, 2065, in a press conference at the White House. Three hours later he hanged himself.

Now that is what clinched it for me that I was reading this book! You know its bad when the President offs himself.

Sashana @ Laura
#5 - I wonder if the Voice leaves people who live on the outskirts of town alone. After all, they have nothing to do with the government. And why would the Voice kill civilians when the population is so small? Makes no sense at all!

@Stefani
#1 - *head desk* Why didn't I think of that?! They're spending so much time and resources on babies when they should be testing themselves. Good thinking, Stefani!

#5 - Based on the foreword I'm also thinking that the Partials may not be the real enemy. But if they are allies I wonder how Dan Wells is going to justify the billions of dead people.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments @ Stefani and Sashana

#1-*head smack* I am wondering how I didn't think of it myself. That is very logical.

Alley (alleycatfish) | 198 comments Discussion Questions for Chapter 1

Wrong. Forcing women to stay pregnant only to see the babies die is just evil. It can't sit well with the women - I wonder how many have gone crazy after having so many of their babies die.

I'm not sure - in the city-like areas, you have the soldiers. In the farming areas, you have isolation. I might go for the soldiers.

I'm probably wrong, but she feels like a spy or something for the Voice. Maybe a recruiter.

I don't mind the jargon. I like science in books, but only if it's sound - not something the author pulled out of his butt.

I'm liking it so far. Too soon for theories and fave characters.

Probably. Govt's motives should always be questioned.

message 34: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 23, 2012 04:46AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Answers to Questions for Chapters 1 – 6

I don't think someone should be forced to have a child. I've had three and it's not like popping out a pie. It hurts and while rare it does occasionally kill women.

I think it depends on the individual and what they want. I'm not sure which is better,

I don't think so, but maybe?

It depends on if I can understand it and how extensively they use it. I always loved ER, so....

Right now I'm not hooked. It reminding me of XVI and Bumped and Wither.

Sounds like it.

message 35: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 23, 2012 04:38AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Laura said, "I am wondering what these Voice people believe because it doesn't really explain other than to say that they disagree with the others."

I do too.

message 36: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Stefani said, "It is horrible and I can't imagine how awful it must be for the mothers. And I am a bit confused by their logic....if they can't figure out why the babies aren't immune, why not try to figure out why the adults are? Seems logical to me lol. I think given the circumstances they see it as their only option, and the decision of morally right and wrong are lost in the end of the world."

That is very true. Some adults did succumb I believe, but will they all eventually? I wasn't sure about that.

message 37: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Discussion Questions for Chapters 1-6

Like everyone else, I think it's wrong to force these women to have babies, and I wonder why these women haven't rebelled yet, or protested, or at least had secret women meetings in their homes to complain about the awfulness of this rule. Baby after baby after baby, only to have them die instantly. That's incredibly cruel.

I think Gianna's points were very good, and I probably agree with her more that the outer community is much safer from Partials and large attacks and is, essentially, free, but I don't know what I'd do when faced with the choice. I could see myself choosing either option.

I think she just remembers what the world was like before the Break and misses the freedom that came with it. I do think that if she gets any more vocal about her discontent, people are going to suspect her.

If it's well-explained and fits well with the story.

I liked it. It hasn't really hooked me yet. I didn't want to read it the entire day like I did all day yesterday with Grave Mercy (all freaking day - could not put that book down), but I did like it. I'm also hoping that the Partials aren't going to be a scapegoat - too easy. I don't have any favorite characters yet. Too early to tell.

I love that dedication, heh. I do think it's foreshadowing, yes, and the government should definitely be questioned, if only for the stupid Hope Act and the fact that they want to lower the age for it down to sixteen. I think their motives are shifty, though.

message 38: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Stefani wrote: "I don't know who has the ebook or the hardcover, but did you read the bit on the back:

"When our ancestors were attached at Pearl Harbor, they called it a day that would live in infamy. The day t..."

I have the ebook, so I never saw that. That's a great blurb. Very scary.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Here is a thought. . . what if the partials and the voice are one in the same?

Has anyone else thought of this?

message 40: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Laura wrote: "Here is a thought. . . what if the partials and the voice are one in the same?

Has anyone else thought of this?"

Ooh, that would be interesting. I hadn't thought of it, no.

I've had the sneaking suspicion that the Voice is really just the government's way of forcing its people to stay inside the borders, rally together, etc. Give them a strong enough enemy, and they'll blindly follow the government anywhere as long as they're protected, you know? I'm probably wrong. Just a hunch.

Sashana Laura wrote: "Here is a thought. . . what if the partials and the voice are one in the same?

It didn't even cross my mind. Great theory, Laura! I can believe that.

Sashana Mary wrote: "Laura wrote: "Here is a thought. . . what if the partials and the voice are one in the same?

Ooh, that would be interesting. I hadn't thought of it, no.

I've h..."

I agree with you Mary. Sadly, none of the characters are asking the right questions yet. It just doesn't make sense for a group of people to want to kill other people when the population is so small. It's in everyone's best interest to stay alive. One has to wonder why the Voice are really against these East Meadowers.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Laura wrote: "Here is a thought. . . what if the partials and the voice are one in the same?

That is an interesting thought, I hadn't considered it. I would enjoy that angle very very much. I was having the same thoughts as Mary that the Voice really are just a government ploy to scare people into begging for their protection.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Stefani wrote: "Laura wrote: "Here is a thought. . . what if the partials and the voice are one in the same?

That is an interesting thought, I hadn't considered it. I would enj..."

I would be extremely disappointed if that were the case. I mean how blah and overdone it would be. I am rooting for my theory, but I know its a long shot.

message 45: by Sashana (last edited Jun 23, 2012 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sashana Questions for Chapters 7 - 9

7. I hate to say it but I'm starting to suspect Nandita. She has the perfect setup to be a part of the Voice with her out of town visits. Plus the talk she had with Kira triggered some red flags. Am I being overly paranoid here? 

8. Can't say I'm surprised about Gianna being imprisoned. Were you? Do you think she is a really a member of the Voice. (Every time I say the Voice I think of the singing competition) Also is anyone else starting to feel like this is a 'witch trial'? "Are you the voice? Is she the voice? Is he the voice?" I am being paranoid, but hopefully I'm not alone in this.

9. I'm surprised that Madison is happy about her pregnancy even though there is a huge possibility of the baby dying. Do you think she should try to emotionally distance herself? How do you think you would feel (or handle the situation) if you were pregnant and knew it wouldn't end well? 

10. Good call, Stefani! Although it seems implausible that Kira is the first one to have this thought (figuring out why the adults are immune to RM while newborns are not). Are the other researchers incredibly stupid/short sighted?  Or are they just being tight lipped about their findings? 

11. We've all been wondering about the Voice's motive. Isolde makes a great point: they are trying to destabilize the government through discord. What do you think of this theory? Do you have any different theories about their motives/goals? 

13. I'm wondering if the researchers have tried to develop a vaccine for the babies. Think about it, vaccines usually have small dosages of the virus itself. So why not add weakened RM to the baby's immune system to see how it works?

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Laura wrote: "Stefani wrote: "Laura wrote: "Here is a thought. . . what if the partials and the voice are one in the same?

That is an interesting thought, I hadn't considered ..."

I am rooting for your theory too! I don't want another "it was the government all along" book lol

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 7 - 9

I didn't think this at all! Interesting theory, Sashana, but I don't think Nandita is a part of the voice at all. I just think she wants everything to end. I also don't think she would have reacted to Kira the way she did. It seemed like she got a little angry when Kira got upset at the government. I could be wrong but I don't think Nadita is a Voice.

8. Can't say I'm surprised about Gianna being imprisoned. Were you? Do you think she is a really a member of the Voice. (Every time I say the Voice I think of the singing competition) Also is anyone else starting to feel like this is a 'witch trial'? "Are you the voice? Is she the voice? Is he the voice?" I am being paranoid, but hopefully I'm not alone in this.
It does seem like they are pointing the finger a lot. I am not surprised that the government locked up Gianna and then made her disappear. It sounds like they are overly paranoid. It makes you wonder what else has happened to make them go on the war path.

It sounds to me like she is in denial. I am sure it is easy to think that this time there is a chance that things will be different. I can't blame her for wanting a family. I just wonder how she will be by the end of the book.

10. Good call, Stefani! Although it seems implausible that Kira is the first one to have this thought (figuring out why the adults are immune to RM while newborns are not). Are the other researchers incredibly stupid/short sighted? Or are they just being tight lipped about their findings?
I think that the government has them so set on doing a certain thing that nobody thinks to do anything differently. No one (other than Kira) seems to be questioning what is going on. I doubt anyone else has tried what Kira is about to do.

I think there is some other motive. I am not sure what yet but I don't think it is just to wreak havoc with the government.

I think the way the soldier's questioned her made it seem like they were questioning her loyalty to the government. I could see why it would be important for them to gather as much information as they can though about those that go outside of East Meadows. I understand Kira's frustration and anger as well because she is starting to question her government with good reason.

That is a good thought. It doesn't sound like they are doing much other than monitoring. I wonder why they haven't done more? It seems a bit fishy and lends toward the whole corrupt government angle, which makes me sad. I want so much more from this book.

message 48: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Stefani wrote: "I am rooting for your theory too! I don't want another "it was the government all along" book lol"

Oh, I know! I agree - that story line has become predictable. Perhaps it is more complicated than we think, though.

message 49: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Questions for Chapters 7 - 9

Heh, interesting. I'm usually overly paranoid when I'm reading, and I didn't get this at all from Nandita, but now I may go reread certain parts. I do think she would have a good setup, but I buy her story, personally. Or maybe I have a hard time suspecting old ladies with herb gardens.

Not surprised. She was far too vocal about her problems with the government. I don't think she's a member of the Voice, no. Just a victim of a very paranoid, very suspicious system.

I was surprised about this, too. I understand that she is trying to be optimistic, that she is excited about her chances of becoming a mother, but I were her, all I could think about would be all those babies dying... I think I would try to emotionally distance myself, but I doubt she will do so.

I have conflicting theories about this. Part of me thinks this is just an oversight, a plot hole. I mean, surely someone else would have thought of it. Part of me thinks people live in a society where, for the most part, nobody questions anything. Kira seems to be the exception to the rule. (Keep in mind, that with a teensy percentage of the population left, the scientists and researchers that survived are the ones society is stuck with, however talented they are.) And part of me thinks that the government is super shady and might be playing their own game in all this. Whatever that is, I don't know.

I think it's pretty silly of them to fight against their own kind. I stand behind my suspicion that the government may be behind the Voice, but I hope I'm wrong.

The entire time the soldiers were questioning Nandita, I got this "good cop-bad cop" vibe from them. Going with Laura's answer - it felt like they were questioning her loyalty, despite the fact that she was only driving out of the area to pick up herbs. Even if she turns out to be a member of the Voice, these soldiers had no evidence (that we know of) to suspect her other than her visits outside the boundary and living near the edge. I think Kira should have been more diplomatic with them. Her attitude will get her into trouble if she's not careful.

That's a good idea. I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't have thought of something like that, but perhaps the virus is very different from those that can be cured through vaccine. Very advanced, medically.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments @Mary

#7-LOL at the old ladies with herb gardens comment.

#10-I see this in our society sometimes. People don't really question much. I think they just want people to leave them alone and let them do their day to day thing.

#13-Ooh, good theory about the virus being more advanced. It would make more sense as to why they maybe haven't tried some of the logical tests yet.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Partials (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dan Wells (other topics)