Reader's Ink discussion

Lonely Polygamist > Question #5

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments What was your overall impressions of the novel and what did you rate it?

message 2: by Carol (last edited Jun 02, 2012 07:55AM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I've said plenty early on, so I'm not going to say too much, but I gave it a 4, and being quite skeptical early on, was somewhat relieved when the story did not show the sexual abuse and items discussed earlier. Udall picked tragedies that are in fact quite true for the time. My brother in law is from Holbrook, Arizona. His family was not too far from the Bomb test sites, and he lost a brother to leukemia about 30 years ago. They lived close enough that his mother who also died early most likely was exposed to the radiation.

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments I gave it a 4.5. I really liked the plot, the different characters, the subplots, and the character development over the course of the novel. I flew thru the book. With that said there were some parts that drug on, and others that needed more detail. Overall I thought that Udall did a nice job capturing the reader and making different characters appeal to difference types of people.

message 4: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments Finally finished it today. I gave it a 3. There were good moments in the book- things I found hilarious or intriguing. But overall, I felt like it could have been cut down quite a bit....it began to feel tedious to just get to the end, rather than enjoyable.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
I gave it a 4. I liked it, I think it’s an important book, the characters are strong, and the writing is good. However, I agree with Alisha that it could’ve been tightened—significantly. I allowed myself a lot of time to squeeze this book in, and I still finished it several days late!

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I'm giving it a 2. Like Alisha, there were parts I liked. I even liked the attempt to show a polygamist family not shadowed by minor abuse and sexual deviancy but just major dysfunction. But, like Alisha and Ashley, I thought the book needed a machete taken to it.

My biggest problem with the book was Golden. Golden wasn't a fascinating enough character to carry a 600-page book. He's an insipid dullard I didn't find even slightly interesting. The evil reader in me is terribly disappointed he ended the book alive. I so wanted him to die, because then I would have found something redeeming in him.

I very much enjoyed the sections with Rusty and Trish (and Ashley's comment about Trish in one of the other threads is so true), but I had Rusty marked for some horrible fate from the first page he narrated, which made me feel a bit manipulated in the "here's a character you will absolutely adore, but the author is mostly just putting him the story to try and break your heart in a couple hundred pages." And Trish, the poor girl, was too damaged from her own upbringing to ever break free from the worthless hunk of person that is Golden. I honestly wish Mr. Udall had focused more on these two and knocked Golden to the back of the story, maybe even given another one of the children a more prominent story. Those were the characters I wanted to know about.

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments Lauren good points...I too had mean wishes for Golden and his selfishness.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments Let's not even talk about how excited I was during the Ted Leo mafioso-style stand off. Stupid Ted Leo being a coward.

Speaking of Ted Leo, was I only one who pictured Ken Jeong's over-the-top character in the Hangover for Ted?

message 9: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments NOOOOO I had the same picture in my head....ahahahahahahha

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I'd forgotten all about Ted Leo. Hope he's having fun rotting in his box. Golden didn't go get him did he. I don't remember that he did. So Rot away. I agree wholeheartedly that it was TOOO long. Could have easily whack off 150 pages without losing too much of the story.

Good point too Lauren about Rusty. I think in some way we've all touched on him somehow. You can't help but feel sorry for the kid. Then when June gives him the goodies to made the bomb/firecracker, you know something really really bad is going to happem.

Love Trish, even liked old Beverly. She was the kind of glue that Golden needed to keep him in line, and it seems the whole family felt she was the matriarch and what she said went.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I made it 1/3 ish through before it was due and I was unable to renew it due to another hold. I'm gathering that rusty dies?? That's probably the saddest for me, I felt bad for poor little rusty. I also didn't care much for Golden, and I got stressed out just thinking about the chaos in his life.

I felt terrible for Trish, and I can see why she would pursue an affair. She's about my age, she only sees her husband a couple times a month, and when she does he promptly falls asleep. I get cranky when my husband works late and misses dinner more than once a week :).

Anyway, I likely won't try to finish it. Wish me luck for the next book!