Reader's Ink discussion

Lonely Polygamist > Question #4

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments Which sub plot was your favorite and why? how did it impact the overall direction of the novel?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I think my favorite is the mini-romance between Trish (wife #4) and June. I liked the interest and respect they had for each other. And how hard must it have been for Trish when she wasn't getting her "fair" share of Golden. She was quite frustrated. Here she would get her hair done and all dolled up so they could have a special night together. I liked the part at the end when Trish and Golden were having a tremendous amount of fun with each other at night on the "old couch." Impotence was his excuse, but in a lot of ways he is a coward through most of the book. After losing Rusty, I was glad that he realized that he really needed to take charge of his family as they were so unhappy.

When Trish got pregnant with June, that also created a dynamic as she genuinely liked/loved him, and was very attention starved. She had a lot of fun with Golden trying to "cure" his impotence.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
I kind of liked the subplot with Golden and Glory. I feel a bit hypocritcal saying that, because I'm not too sure how much it contributed to the overall novel. Perhaps that subplot WAS important, because Glory showed Golden's REAL father side--not the fact that he sired 29 children and thus he must be a MEGA DAD, but his genuine adoration and protectiveness of his most vulnerable child, him caring for her behind the scenes. I don't know that Glory redeems Golden, but she reflects a rather poignant side of him.

message 4: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments Ashley I agree...i also think Glory's death was likely a major factor in Golden's meltdown. Who knows what he could have done with his family if she had not passed in such a tragic way....he basically blamed himself and shut down after that.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I didn't like the Golden / Glory subplot. I wanted to like it, but it was too contrived for me. It felt like a "See, you have to care for Golden, because look at this horrible thing that happened to him," but, for me, it only highlighted what a poor father he is. The only child he has a connection with is one who can't talk back, can't criticize him ... yes, it was great what he did for her, but I couldn't escape the sense that he was doing this for himself. By focusing on Glory, he had a great excuse to not pay attention to his other children.

(Evil me also thinks he deserved a breakdown for how she died. In most books, I would have been absolutely wrecked for a character who lost a child that way. With Golden, it just made me hate him that much more. Essentially, two of his children died because he's a moron. The rest of the Richards children should really get together and figure out a way to off him before he kills another one. Maybe the naughty Sinkfoyle boys can help.)