Reader's Ink discussion

Lonely Polygamist > Question #1

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments Which character had the most impact on the overall plot of the novel and why?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
One would think it would be Golden, but my personal opinion was Rusty. He was a devil on wheels, but when I stand back and evaluate the whole story, Rusty is the one that was "gyp"ed throughout the story, most ways brought on by himself, The kid didn't have a lot of common sense, and yes, he was gyped when he didn't get a special birthday party, and had to share with his Dad. I also thought about sweet little Glory who could have also been a product of radiation poisoning. She was the light of her daddy's eye, and Rusty was just screaming for attention and used every technique he could think of to get someone to love him for who he was.

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments I agree Rusty was the most important but for different reasons. His story was tragic, this was an innocent little boy who was bullied by his siblings, ignored by his father, persecuted by his "mothers", and had no support system at all, except to an extent June. His downward spiral was the centerpiece of the plot that tied everyone together as well as all the subplots. I felt so bad for this innocent little boy who was just doing what any kid would do to try and be heard. In many ways he was wise beyond his years.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
I had hoped it would be Trish, as I expected her simmering resentment to upset the polygamist apple cart, but alas, all her resentment and ambition was quenched once she FINALLY got laid. Siiiiiigh.

So, I'll go with Rusty too. He brought everything to a breaking point and ultimately reinforced the status quo, shifting Golden into a more patriarchal, "leadership" role that the wives could submit to as well as getting everyone under one roof to give being a big happy family another shot.