The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hello from a dog & cat mom

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (Kflora) Hi, I'm Katie from Birmingham, AL. I'm a retired attorney, and mom to a fluffy tortoiseshell cat, a pug dog, and a yellow lab (no, I haven't seen "Marley Me" and I'm not going to). I love to read, go to movies, travel, and go camping with my husband and two dogs.

I can tell this is a good group for me, as I have checked out several profiles here, and I've seen a lot of common stuff on our bookshelves. I like pretty much everything, except for sci-fi, fantasy, and horror (excluding Stephen King, of course).

I'm looking forward to a lot of good discussions here! Katie

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Welcome, Katie! You've found a great group!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9634 comments Mod
Hi Katie, you couldnt have found a better group!!!
Thanks for joining. I am sure you will find tons of great things to read and share with us!!

message 4: by Bird (new)

Bird (thebird) I am a fellow animal lover as well! :O)
I have heard from numerous people that the movie of Marley & Me causes people to bawl, so I am currently avoiding it. A woman I work with told me that if I wanted to see it, I should wait until it comes out on video, so I can curl up at home with a box of kleenex ready!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (Kflora) Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Bird, watching Marley & Me at home would probably be even worse, as I would most likely be curled up with my big blond girl. Otherwise, it looks like a great movie (my mom loved the book).

message 6: by Darla (new)

Darla (isishalo1) | 576 comments Welcome Katie!

message 7: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments HI Katie Welcome, I love cats and dogs too. We use to have cats then I found out I was allergic to them now we have 5 dogs. 2 Blood hounds, 1 Bassett hound and 2 miniature dauchshunds. I love them all. I am like you, I do not want to see the movie Marley and Me. My two kids went and saw it and said I would love the begining of it but would just bawl at the end.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments Welcome Katie - Aye King is good - and some of his non-horror stuff is his best - i.e. Different Seasons. Glad to have you as part of the group - and I promise not to hold the "no fantasy" thing against you ;-) (wink)

message 9: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Hi Katie, welcome and Happy Reading!!

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (Kflora) Darla, Lisa, Robin & Hayes, thank you for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to good times here!

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Welcome to the group Katie! Looking forward to sharing some book recommendations.

I've always wanted pets - never really got further then a rabbit. I'm allergic to anything furry, especially dogs and long haired cats. One day I will.

You'll love TNBBC, we're full of book loving people - some a little more obsessive then others.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (Kflora) Fiona, thank you. Don't give up on having pets yet. Our new president is searching for a hypoallergenic dog for his girls. Nobody cares about his Mideast or economic policies, we're all holding our breath to see the new puppy!

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Welcome to the group, Katie.

message 14: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Welcome Katie!

message 15: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) Hi there Katie *waving*.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments Hi Katie! I have relatives in 'Bama!

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (Kflora) Eric, Jeane, Petra & Lisa, thank you for the welcome!

message 18: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Hey, Katie - how are you liking Prague? (the book, not the city... the city is great, but I haven't read the book!!)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Katie!