Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > 2012 Read-A-Thon *Please Read this First*

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Jun 01, 2012 06:56PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Who's Your Author's 2012 Read-A-Thon!

This challenge will be open through the months of June through September. It can be completed in one day, two days or three.

What is it?

- This Read-A-Thon will involve people reading for as long as they can in ONE 24 hour period.
- If it feels too intense to do this in one sitting, you can take the 24 hours and split it up over two days or three. So for example, beginning on a Sat and reading 12 hours and continuing on Sun another 12 hours.
- Another option is to do this challenge in one day and just see how long you can read for. Whether it ends up being 3 hours, 5 hours, 13 hours, 24 hours etc...

NOTE: This challenge is really just for fun, so give it a try and see what you can do. Just note, the max number of days that the challenge can be split between is 3 days. Otherwise it just becomes too drawn out.

When is it?

- Normally there would be one set day in which everyone would do this. HOWEVER, due to people's varying schedules, we have decided to leave it open to the participants to pick their own day, between June 2 and the end of September.
-Once you have picked your day post it HERE
-If you would like to do this Read-A-Thon more than once, you are more than welcome to!

What do I have to do to be involved?

-Once you have picked a day in which you will be completing the Read-A-Thon, go on to the Participant Sign Up Thread Click Here and post the day. (If you see someone else will be doing it the same day, you can message each other and create a thread to talk to one another throughout the day/night)
-You can also post up an anticipated reading list.
-After your Read-A-Thon is over (or during if you want to take a break from reading) you can post (or update) your stats HERE

What stats should I post?

-The number of hours of reading time (and if you did it in one sitting or between days)
-The number of books finished, and also which books were finished

Some optional stats to post:
-The number of pages, chapters read
-Your favorite reading position during the Read-A-Thon
-The hardest part about it
-The easiest part about it
-Strategy for staying awake
-If you read by yourself or with a partner
-If you read with a partner did it make it easier or harder?
-And whatever else you feel the need to share :)

What do I get for participating?

-A day of fun!
-This is a great way to get books off of that mile high TBR list
-There are no prizes for this, but there will be awards posted for those with the most books, the most pages, and the most time spent reading. There also may be a few others.

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here. We have tried to include as much information as possible, but someone may think of another question to ask. So feel free.

Thanks and have fun!!

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber | 4 comments Wow, that's hardcore, lol! Good luck to the participants!!!

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Hi Amber! It seems more hardcore than it is. In the past people have split the 24 hours amongst 3 days and then it's easier.

Give it a try, you are more than welcome to join us!

message 4: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments It's always a lot of fun. Depending on how you do it, whether with a friend or alone, you can get through a ton of books, or have a great time getting to know your buddy, or both :)

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 1573 comments Absolutely! :D

message 6: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 7 comments Wow, this is hardcore but I'll give it a try since I wanted to finish An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon , 814 pgs! Plus just got myself in a cast, left ankle-torn achilles tendon... making lemonade out of lemon situation!

message 7: by Pansy (new)

Pansy Crazy4more wrote: "Wow, this is hardcore but I'll give it a try since I wanted to finish An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon, 814 pgs! Plus just got myself in a cast, left ankle-torn achilles tendon... making lemonade ou..."

Hey Girl,I am going to try it also. I know Keri wants to do it. I am so sorry to hear about your cast. Please tell me you were not reading one of you steamy novels and tripped on the stairmaster. It sounds funny but I am actually serious. Those novels can get pretty hot.

message 8: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 7 comments LOL, no I didn't fall on the treadmill while reading...though it's plausible...

I ruptured my achilles tendon when I sprinted for a drop ball in tennis. The Olympics mojo was getting to me.

message 9: by Pansy (new)

Pansy The Olympics can do that. It gives you an excuse to read more. Take care of yourself. The three of us can decide when we want to do the 24 hr marathon and stay in touch with a thread. It was fun last year.