Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Mrs. Henry Wood
This topic is about Mrs. Henry Wood
Questions > Which form of author's name?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kathleenburk) | 17 comments This author used to be listed as Ellen Wood, and I noticed it was changed somewhat recently. Should the author's name be Ellen Wood or Mrs Henry Wood or Mrs. Henry Wood? Is there a policy that applies to this situation?

message 2: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Author's names aren't supposed to include titles, so the "Mrs." is not appropriate. Personally, I'd say return it to Ellen Wood.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments "Mrs. Henry Wood" could be considered a pseudonym, though. It might be good to list that name as a secondary author on the editions which are credited to her under that name, keeping Ellen Wood as primary. Or vice versa, I suppose, depending on whether you can tell if "Ellen Wood" or "Mrs. Henry Wood" was used first.

message 4: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments There is already another Ellen Wood. http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
Perhaps Ellen Price Wood might do, but most of the books have Mrs Henry Wood.

message 5: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Having two authors named "Ellen Wood" wouldn't be a problem; one of them would just have to be Ellen^^Wood.

message 6: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments True, but good to avoid if possible. :-)

message 7: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I think this would be an appropriate exception to the rule, as the library of congress has her listed under Mrs. Henry Wood.

message 8: by Kathleen (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

Kathleen (kathleenburk) | 17 comments Cait wrote: ""Mrs. Henry Wood" could be considered a pseudonym, though. It might be good to list that name as a secondary author on the editions which are credited to her under that name, keeping Ellen Wood as ..."

It's not really a pseudonym, though. I'm pretty sure all of her books were originally published under the name "Mrs. Henry Wood", but now they are published under "Ellen Wood". I'm still not sure what to do.

message 9: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Kathleen wrote: "It's not really a pseudonym, though. I'm pretty sure all of her books were originally published under the name "Mrs. Henry Wood", but now they are published under "Ellen Wood". I'm still not sure what to do."

In that case, I'd say keep the "main" profile as "Mrs. Henry Wood", then add "Ellen^^Wood" as a secondary author to any works/editions (re-)published under that name.