Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > cover and umlauts

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisainberlin (new)

Lisainberlin | 102 comments I just added the cover for A Haus für Barbapapa to my cover page..could you add it? May I politely ask why the umlauts (as in für) are typed like fu"r in goodreads? Why not just replace the ü with ue (that's allowed). Same with ä (ae) or Ö (oe). Just wondering!

message 2: by Amara (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:43PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Can you link to the book, please? I can't seem to find it in the search. Never mind, I found it and added the cover. :)

The umlauts aren't showing up properly because the book was most likely imported from a source that doesn't use them. They can be added in.

message 3: by Lisainberlin (new)

Lisainberlin | 102 comments Thankyou Amara...I also just added the cover for "Mumin, Wie wird es weiter gehen?" to my profile page and would appreciate if it's added as well.
I still don't understand the situation with the umlauts. It seems that everytime I do a search that has an umlaut in it nothing comes up. But no worries! I can deal with it!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments Got #3

message 5: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Lisainberlin wrote: "I still don't understand the situation with the umlauts. It seems that everytime I do a search that has an umlaut in it nothing comes up."

Oh, that's odd. I never knew that, since I don't use umlauts except when helping someone else. I suppose the search box just isn't currently equipped to handle them properly...?