Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Opinions on Hosting a Reading Circle

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Craft (vigroco) | 14 comments I recently threw out an idea to my sister that she thought was completely stupid, so naturally I thought I'd take to the internet to vindicate myself. My idea was to invite people over to my house for a nice evening of group reading. Everyone brings their own book, we put on some light music and have a quasi-social reading experience. It would be like going to the movies, but cheaper and chicer.

What do you guys think?

message 2: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments that there would be more socializing than reading during that time. maybe more of a standard bookclub would work.

message 3: by Ty (new)

Ty yeah... even with my bookclub, there's only a semblance of book discussion going on. With the presence of wine and food, it just kinda spirals into a verbal free-for-all. Good luck tho! :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think get a funny book, pass it around reading passages. The more wine, the funnier the book will be and the more slurring of words! This will work if you have friends interested in reading of coarse.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments I think it is a fun idea but I agree that it would need to be more of a discussion book club type of thing because with so many people in a room together it would inevitably end up being that way anyways.

Book Clubs are a lot of fun and it is always really interesting to get others opinions and thoughts on certain things that you may never have thought of or about.

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments I would love it, maybe one room to read and one room to socialize in, with people going back and forth. You could even all be reading the same book or same genre. I think it's a great idea Jason.

message 7: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 318 comments Well I assume Jason lives in the US and I don't so it would not work for me.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Tabitha wrote: "I think get a funny book, pass it around reading passages. The more wine, the funnier the book will be and the more slurring of words! This will work if you have friends interested in reading of ..."

I would love to come to something like this. It doesn't even have to be a funny book, but I think you'll get more book discussion if you take turn reading parts of the same book rather than everyone just hanging around reading in the same room. It's less like just hanging out at the library.