Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > doubt about 'sort by title'

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jorge (last edited Jun 01, 2012 11:58AM) (new)

Jorge (jsalgueiro) | 68 comments Hi

I have a doubt about the sort by title field. Does it sort by ASCII value or such? Does it discriminate between, say, a and á, or c and ç?

Cheers!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
No idea. This is more of a Feedback Group question than one for here, as librarians can't control this. (However, it is possible that other librarians have noticed what the behavior is and can comment on it.)

message 3: by lafon حمزة (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:29PM) (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments I know this isn't the same as sort by title, but on author pages the system does not discriminate between characters. What I mean by this is "a" is treated the same as "á". It might behave the same way in the sort by title area.

message 4: by Jorge (new)

Jorge (jsalgueiro) | 68 comments Thanks for the replies, I'll repost this on the Feedback Group.

I only asked because I've been replacing the extended characters in the sort by title field for fear it would mess up the sorting. If a book were called A Águia for example, on the title field I would write "A Águia", but on the sort by title field I would write "aguia, a".

But then it occured to me that might be unnecessary.

I may also raise on Feedback the possibility of GR converting extended characters to 'basic' characters in the profile URL and perhaps recognising names entered if they differ only in extended characters. That is, knowing that "Alvaro de Campos" is the same as "Álvaro de Campos". I feel most of the duplications arise from librarians mistyping the extended characters or GR rightout suppressing them.

Programming is complicated :p

Cheers!

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Jorge wrote: "Thanks for the replies, I'll repost this on the Feedback Group.

I only asked because I've been replacing the extended characters in the sort by title field for fear it would mess up the sorting. I..."

Duplicates are more likely from the automatic imports that GR does not GR librarians

message 6: by Jorge (new)

Jorge (jsalgueiro) | 68 comments Yes, the imports are a more likely source of duplicates.

However, it has happened to me more than once when adding a secondary author that I type the author's name with extended characters, but after saving the changes the name appears with the extended characters replaced by the corresponding basic character. I don't know why this happens, it doesn't happen often. I also don't know if this creates a duplicate or if it happens because the duplicate already exists.