Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3) Abhorsen discussion

I hate books that just... end.

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brian So an author takes the time to spin a world, infuse a story, create a plot and involve a reader. Lots of authors do this in all sorts of books. But when they end, as Abhorsen does, it's like Victor Frankenstein building his creation, but giving it no head. Or rather, building it, animating it and then removing the head for the final, finished product. I wish more authors would grasp the ideology of "final struggle" occurring half way or maybe 2/3 through their final book. Not 12 pages from the end, including the meager epilogue. I don't want a Disney "happily ever after" ending, more of a "picking up after the mess" and "geez, what do I do now that the one thing that Dominated my life now doesn't exist any longer".

It's sad that THIS is what I think when finishing a book/series. Nix had me hooked, but just when he could have set the hook and had me completely, he gave up and let go. *sigh*

message 2: by Chris (last edited Jun 03, 2012 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris Brian wrote: "So an author takes the time to spin a world, infuse a story, create a plot and involve a reader. Lots of authors do this in all sorts of books. But when they end, as Abhorsen does, it's like Vict..."

I didn't get that impression when I first read the series, nor yet again when I re-read them after The Creature in the Case, but you've got me intrigued, and I'll have to give them another go! In a way the Nicholas Sayre novelette is a sort of epilogue, but if you haven't read it yet (it was first published as a World Book Day title, and republished in Across the Wall) you might even find that more frustrating for its loose-endings feeling.

Despite little indication so far that this is so, I have every hope that Nix will return to this world, only not just yet. I expect something will appear (or already may have appeared) in a compendium of fantasy short stories (probably in Australia).

I agree that many classic detective stories seem to wrap up soon after the denouement, as though the writer has got bored with the world and characters they'd created. It takes a little more literary skill to create scenarios and personages that a readers cares about (like the Inspector Montalbano series by Andrea Camilleri that I've started to enjoy after watching the Italian TV series based on the novels).

Molly Tompson I didnt think the ending was bad at all.. I loved it, I was just sad the series ended..

Badgerlord So, anyway, now that I've completely failed, I do agree that the ending was a bit abrupt (I have the right book this time).

Davytron Badgerlord wrote: "Badgerlord wrote: "I think everyone in this book has some pretty obvious jobs that don't need to be shown. Eragon; training new riders. Murtagh; sorting himself out. Natsauda; settling down the cou..."

I was so confused by this post until I read your clarification - I was questioning whether I had actually read the book at all! haha

Badgerlord Davytron wrote: "Badgerlord wrote: "Badgerlord wrote: "I think everyone in this book has some pretty obvious jobs that don't need to be shown. Eragon; training new riders. Murtagh; sorting himself out. Natsauda; se..."

I've now deleted my comments from above on the thread, because they're actually pretty major spoilers. Sorry to anyone I spoiled the books for!

Kate i wish there had been more on sabriel and torrigan(touchstone) at the end

Gwen There are two more books coming out in the Old Kingdom series, a prequel named Clariel,the Lost Abhorsen which will look at a prevous abhorsen about 300 years before the other books.
The other is a sequel to Abhorsen. They were both supposed to come out in 2009-10 but have been delayed. Last time I heard, they are coming out this year, I realy hope so!

Kate SO. DO. I! you have just made my day!!!!!!!!!!! *kiss on either cheek*

Gwen You're most certainly welcome- here is the link to the prequel page-Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen

Chris Astarael wrote: "There are two more books coming out in the Old Kingdom series, a prequel named Clariel,the Lost Abhorsen which will look at a prevous abhorsen about 300 years before the other books.
The other is ..."

Good news! And thanks for the link to Clariel, Astarael (like the name, by the way!).

Got Nix's A Confusion of Princes recently, but haven't yet read it; it's not in the Abhorsen series though.

message 12: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker I thought that it wrapped up ok, it ended when it should without leaving any loose ends. I think if he had elaborated more he'd have bored the socks off everyone by writing page after page of "and such and such did this."

Am super psyched to hear about new ones though, this is my favourite trilogy of all time!
This could be the best literature year for me yet, especially with Terry Pratchett's new sci-fi and the arrival of another Discworld novel!

So, I Read This Book Today Brian wrote: "So an author takes the time to spin a world, infuse a story, create a plot and involve a reader. Lots of authors do this in all sorts of books. But when they end, as Abhorsen does, it's like Vict..."

Totally understand. And agree. Too many books have story lines that just lay there, limp and dead, at the end of the book. Huh? What happened? Abhorsen is one, but the one I keep going back to is Harry Potter. Huh? What happened to everyone? I loved Luna! What happened to her? To everyone else? The whole last book was a letdown, but the ending? Ugh.

message 14: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker I always wondered what job Harry ended up doing, he was going to be an auror, yet all we find out about him, or anyone else for that matter, is that they had kids.

So, I Read This Book Today Exactly! Drove me NUTS. What did Hermione end up doing? Ron? Luna? How did the living Weasley twin do after losing his brother? And sweet Luna? I got the feeling Rowling just flipped us, the loyal readers, the bird there at the end. I guess when you already have millions of dollars, you don't have to care about anything else.

message 16: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker I got the feeling she got bored, the last book was largely them wondering around sulking and going, "I dunno."

So, I Read This Book Today EXACTLY!!!! ROFL......I thought I was the only one who thought that!

message 18: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker Fear not you're not alone :)

I did feel guilty for disliking Harry for being a sulky sod, I felt disloyal, but I just can't help it.

So, I Read This Book Today I know. And Ron - I was about ready to throttle the kid. I still am weirded out my Hermione choosing Ron - he has very little to recommend him, IMO. Sort of like a physicist marrying the garbage man. Just doesn't suss for me. Sigh.

message 20: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker Lol, yeah, it was a bit chalk and cheese, but she did go for Krum...

Harry and Ginny were a bit sprung on us as well. They at least make sense as a couple, but we didn't really get to know her other than as a background Weasley, then suddenly Harry's in love.

Then there was the time turner saga... *sigh* never mind, still love it though.

message 21: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker I don't mind the bow not being pretty, just a smidgen more elaborative.
Too much and it ends up like the last Lord of the Rings film with its many many endings.

I do feel though that the Abhorsen series ended just fine.

So, I Read This Book Today J.R.Barker wrote: "Lol, yeah, it was a bit chalk and cheese, but she did go for Krum...

Harry and Ginny were a bit sprung on us as well. They at least make sense as a couple, but we didn't really get to know her ot..."

I was good with Ginny. She seemed smart and pulled-together, but again, that was another real splat on the final book scenario. I really wanted to know more about her. Krum was "That Guy" that all the girls would have swooned over in high school - don't you think? And as much as she was a smart girl, we all sort of have a soft spot for the high school "That Guy" don't we? ;-)

So, I Read This Book Today J.R.Barker wrote: "I don't mind the bow not being pretty, just a smidgen more elaborative.
Too much and it ends up like the last Lord of the Rings film with its many many endings.

I do feel though that the Abhorsen ..."

Harry wasn't missing a bow ----- in my mind, he was out there running around naked to the world! ROFL

message 24: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker Ahhhhh naked Harry images! Not good :/

So, I Read This Book Today LOL!!! Actually, Radcliffe did play on stage in "Equus" starkers, so I guess the image is out there, will ye or nil ye. . .

message 26: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker Nil, definitely nil. Nice guy, but not one of the studs of this world :0)

message 27: by So, I Read This Book Today (last edited Jul 13, 2013 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

So, I Read This Book Today NO kidding! ROFL

Of course, they chose Tom Cruise plays Jack Reacher --- how stupid is THAT for a casting error?! Heck, Vin Diesel would have been MUCH better. Come on, Reacher is a HUGE guy!

message 28: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker I haven't read or seen it, but I'm guessing they chose Tom Cruise for his famous pout. Or perhaps Vin Diesel was busy.

So, I Read This Book Today Perhaps - there aren't a lot of non-plastic actors out there any longer - no Sean Connery! They all sort of look like they came out of the same mold. 5'6" - 5'8", skinny, bland . . .

message 30: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker The weird thing is they all sound the same too.

I loved the fact that Sean Connery could play any role, English, German or Russian and you never questioned his Scottish accent.

They need to bring back faces and accents with character.

So, I Read This Book Today I totally agree! I don't really care to watch movies any longer. There is no "There" there, know what I mean? Bland actors, male and female, (though the females are a bit better - Halle Berry and Sharon Stone come to mind) but between the bland actors and regurgitated stories (come on, how many times can you remake Spiderman?)

message 32: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker And Superman, and Batman, although I did love the new Batman and Spiderman.
But there are sooo many awesome books to choose from and turn into films, I don't get why they're rehashing the oldies.

I mean what was with Vin Diesel in "The Pacifier"?

Talk about scraping the barrel.

So, I Read This Book Today I know... what a waste of a Hunk!

message 34: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker I was soo disappointed, especially after triple X 3 minus Vin Diesel disappointment, if he dropped that to be in the pacifier *pout*

Maria Perhaps someone can help with some questions I have about Lirael's mom, Arielle. Why did Arielle disappear when Lirael was a child? Also, why did she keep the identity of Lirael's father a secret? Was this answered in the books and I missed it? If not, maybe Lirael will look into the Dark Mirror to see what happened to her mother.

message 36: by J.R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.R. Barker Maria wrote: "Perhaps someone can help with some questions I have about Lirael's mom, Arielle. Why did Arielle disappear when Lirael was a child? Also, why did she keep the identity of Lirael's father a secret? ..."

I did know but I can't remember, oh well I'll have to read them again.

message 37: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Testarossa Maria, Arielle had a vision, which is never fully described, that is the reason behind her both being with Lirael's father and leaving Lirael. I think she kept Lirael's father's identity secret for the same reason - the vision may have showed that it had to be that way. The second part is my speculation, I could be wrong. I don't know why Lirael never looks into the Dark Mirror to see what happened to her mother in Lirael or Abhorsen, maybe just because of how busy she was with her more vital tasks.

Maria Thanks, Sara. I wonder if the author left Arielle's fate unclear to be explored in the planned sequel.

message 39: by Sara (last edited Jul 09, 2014 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Testarossa Maria wrote: "Thanks, Sara. I wonder if the author left Arielle's fate unclear to be explored in the planned sequel."

So far, the only sequel to Abhorsen is the novella Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the case, which is included in the book "Across the Wall", a collection of stories that are otherwise not in the Old Kingdom world.

The upcoming Clariel is more of a prequel, about Chlorr of the Mask's past.

message 40: by Meg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Meg I felt like Nix wrote Lirael and it was actually Lirael/Abhorsen and his editor told him to turn it into two books. I didn't feel like Abhorsen did anything but tie up some plot he hadn't gotten around to by the end of Lirael. The world/the characters were no further developed, which was a major letdown.