Beyond Reality discussion

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
This topic is about To Say Nothing of the Dog
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG: roll call and initial impressions (*NO SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you're reading, planning to read or have read To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis!

No spoilers in this topic please!

Christine | 593 comments I started this book last month and abandoned it as I had more interesting books to read. I wasn't pulled in to the idea and found it a bit confusing at the beginning

Mosca | 12 comments I read this about 3 years ago. It remains on my Favorite Books shelf. I love Connie Willis; and this is one of her best.

Sarah | 132 comments I loved this one at the time I read it, but I have to be honest that I remember very little of it. Her darker Oxford time travel books have stayed with me in more detail.

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 1 star

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments I have a copy on its way to me in the mail. This will be my first Connie Willis book. I know. I know. I have been remiss.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2150 comments Mod
I read this several years ago, and loved it...tried re-reading it again more recently and wasn't into it, but that had more to do with my mood at the time. I may skim it again for the discussion.

Nikita (nikita42) I'm about halfway done, but plan on finishing it up soon.

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I read this quite some time ago but will follow the discussion. I think I remember it well enough to participate, if not may reread.

message 9: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3111 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "I have a copy on its way to me in the mail. This will be my first Connie Willis book. I know. I know. I have been remiss."

I've not read any Connie Willis books either, although several are on my shelf. I may try to get to this before the end of the month.

Akalle        I started the book and am enjoying it but I find myself putting it down a lot for some reason. Still, it's a very pleasing read.

message 11: by Joel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel (joelevard) i love this book -- read it twice. i can easily see reading it again in a few years. the second time i read it i had forgotten some of the plot details, which made it that much more enjoyable to experience again.

message 12: by Jim (new) - rated it 1 star

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Still waiting for delivery of the "Dog". In the meantime, I picked up a copy of Futures Imperfect, an omnibus of three Connie Willis novellas: Uncharted Territory, Remake and Bellwether. Any thoughts on these? I still have yet to read a Willis work.

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary | 5 comments I read Blackout and All Clear last year and have been meaning to start up another Connie Willis book. This gives me the perfect opportunity since I loved the first two.

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments Jim wrote: "Still waiting for delivery of the "Dog". In the meantime, I picked up a copy of Futures Imperfect, an omnibus of three Connie Willis novellas: Uncharted Territory, Remake and Bellwether. Any though..."

they are light quick reads. I like Bellwether a lot personally but enjoyed all of them.

carol. | 173 comments I thought Bellwether was a light, fun book that was sheer genius in it's ability to weave science, romance, discovery, bureaucracy and kids. It contained a Barbie story map, for pete's sake.

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I started reading this a couple of years ago and really wasnt into it. I have been having a real hard time this last month to be interested in reading anything so I will bow out and put it on deck.

message 17: by Jim (new) - rated it 1 star

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments The book finally arrived. Now to get started reading.

Daniel | 22 comments Count me in. I read her Blackout and All Clear last year, and enjoyed them immensely. With others just getting their copy in the mail, I feel in pretty good company starting it so late in the time frame.

Daniel | 22 comments Having read this book out of order (so to speak), I'm actually finding my appreciation of Blackout/All Clear slip ever so slightly by the chapter. I almost experienced blunt force trauma from having the "For want of a nail..." theme continually pounded into my cranium in Blackout/All Clear, only to find the same meme appear word for word in this novel.

There are other examples which would probably rate as spoilers, but I find the recycling of discussions to leave just a hint of bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Not enough to prevent me from enjoying an excellent story, mind you, but a distracting irritant nonetheless.

I also need to acknowledge the genius of Lady Schrapnell. What a completely believable and entirely tyrannical antagonist! I almost cry to think how plausible that situation is...

Deedee | 136 comments Am now reading To Say Nothing of the Dog, about 1/3rd through.

message 21: by Jim (new) - rated it 1 star

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Just getting started. Chapter three.

message 22: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3111 comments Mod
Started and already laughed out loud several times.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) I am trying to read this book. I am really trying. Been struggling for about a week now. I am about 1/3 through. I originally downloaded the sample, and found it intriguing, so promptly purchased the book. Then, it seemed to me, as all the intriguing "stuff" had already happened, and the struggle began. While my interest is piqued, I am still struggling with reading the book and trying to determine if I actually CARE.

Two things really bother me. 1) As I have never read the book it is based on (Three Men in a Boat), I feel as though I am left out of the inside joke. 2)While they always translate it, I regret that I am able to remember very little of my 4 years of Latin.

I am still not sure whether or not I will finish this. It is irritating me because I need a good, enthralling book to read.

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments Sonja,
I have read "Three Men in a Boat" (after I read this one) and I think that the style with the chapter descriptions are all you need to fully enjoy. But if you aren't really enjoying...well I've decided not to push my way through much, unless there is a really good reason. A friend of mine said this to me, "you already wasted your money, now you are wasting your time" as I struggled to read something that didn't suit me. I thought the point over and changed my MO.
for what it is worth....