Let's Talk About Julie Garwood discussion

The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies, #1)
This topic is about The Lion's Lady
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Group Read for June (The Lion's Lady)(spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (last edited Jun 01, 2012 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 2159 comments Mod
Our June Group Read is The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies, #1)

Synopsis
Christina Bennett had taken London society by storm. The ravishing beauty guarded the secret of her mysterious past until the night Lyon, Marquis of Lyonwood, stole a searching, sensuous kiss. An arrogant nobleman with a pirate's passions, he tasted the wild fire smoldering beneath Christina's cool charm and swore to posess her...
But the fiesty and defiant Christina would not be so easily conquered. Mistress of her heart and of her fortune, she resisted Lyon's sensuous caresses. She dared not surrender to his love...for then, she must also forsake her precious secret...and her promised destiny...

Feel free to join in the discussion.

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1033 comments Mod
It will be a few days b/f I can get to this one, Pamela!

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

That's fine. Me too.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okay... when to fit this in. I wonder where my book is too. LOVE this one. I think it is my very favorite. At least, I've read it the most. ☺

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I got my copy sitting right here on my computer table. Raring to go ☺

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

LOL! Okay, GTK. I haven't heard back from Ms. Garwood about an audio version.

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guess I'll start some questions. But take your time, LK.

Questions on Prologue through Chapter 2

1. We meet Christina when she was 2 years old. What did you think of young Christina? What did you think of her adopted family? Did her adopted family do right for Christina by allowing her to stay?

2. Merry told the story of how she came to have Christina. Jessica, Christina's mother, saved the live of White Eagle, Merry's son. Any thoughts? Comments? What about the pact the two women had? Do you believe Jessica would have done her part had the situation been reversed?

3. Black Wolf tried hard not to accept Christina. Were you touched when he finally did?

4. Lyon, Marquess of Lyonwood, discovers a terrible truth the night his wife was in labor with child. How did you feel about the betrayal? Do you feel the night changed Lyon?

5. Lyon and Christina meet. What did you think of their meeting? Lyon didn't appear to get much information out of Christina. Is she clever or just giving answers she feels are appropriate? Comments?

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh! Questions! I ♥ questions. Okay, let me see if I can find this book. I think I know where it is.

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay’s Answers to Pamela’s Questions on Prologue through Chapter 2

Man-oh-man! I don’t have this one worked into any of my challenges this month! Still, couldn’t resist picking it up. **sigh**

1. We meet Christina when she was 2 years old. What did you think of young Christina? What did you think of her adopted family? Did her adopted family do right for Christina by allowing her to stay?
I though Christina was adorable as a two-year-old, with her booming voice and fearlessness. I loved the stories of her interacting with the tribe members and worming her way into their hearts. Loved that she said, “My Eagle!” for White Eagle and that he stood by her. Loved that Merry is such a totally different character, shy and gentle; yet she still stood up to Blake Wolf. I loved the shaman… geeze! Love it all. Yes, I think they did right by her. It made her the person she is today – or at least a better her, or more freedom to be her.

2. Merry told the story of how she came to have Christina. Jessica, Christina's mother, saved the life of White Eagle, Merry's son. Any thoughts? Comments? What about the pact the two women had? Do you believe Jessica would have done her part had the situation been reversed?
It was so neat the way JG gives us parts of the story interwoven into what is currently going on. She dishes it out slowly, but surely. She tells us of the duplicity of Gray Cloud and hints at the evilness of Jessica’s husband, but gives us what Merry would reasonably glean of the backstory. Love that these two women are joined in their resistance against evil men. Yes, I think Jessica would have raised White Engle, if she couldn’t get him safely back to his rightful place in his tribe.

3. Black Wolf tried hard not to accept Christina. Were you touched when he finally did?
Oh, yes! Very moving. So appropriate that Grey Eagle let him get there on his own. (Loved the snake story that has yet to come! Yikes! I thought it was in the prologue…I keep looking for it... but it must come much later in the book. Maybe when she tells Lyon.)

4. Lyon, Marquess of Lyonwood, discovers a terrible truth the night his wife was in labor with child. How did you feel about the betrayal? Do you feel the night changed Lyon?
So terrible! And with his brother. Ick! I think it really changed him at his core. Harden him and made him cynical. I think something died in him that night, which took Christina to bring back to life.

5. Lyon and Christina meet. What did you think of their meeting? Lyon didn't appear to get much information out of Christina. Is she clever or just giving answers she feels are appropriate? Comments?
Love Diana’s youthful enthusiasm in wanting to meet Princess Christina! Such fun in contrast to Lyon’s ennui. Love (geez, I’m using that word a lot! Sorry. Not! ☺) … anyway… Loved his ‘battle stance’ position when he first catches sight of her. So appropriate and she is looking for a warrior. She is a very clever woman! She knows what she is doing. Granted, some of the things are her honest approach to answers, and she is keeping certain aspects of her own agenda close to her chest. But, for the most part, she is providing clever, evasive answers.

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

@lk
1. She was a force be to reckoned with.

2. I too think Jessica was honorable and would have done her best to return him. I hated that she had to die in that awful manner.

3. Loved Back Wolf. I remember the snake story but don't remember where it was. I adored the part when she sat in his lap.

4. So tragic. And to find how that way!

5. Yes, Diana was enthusiatic. I loved that about her. I loved the way Lyon keeps trying to get a complete answer from Christina and keeps failing.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "And to find how that way!"

#4 - Yes, at what was supposed to be a happy occasion.

#5 - Yes, I wouldn't mind reading her book. LOL! Love that Lyon can't get - what he thinks is - a 'straight' answer out of her.

message 12: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Did ya want to do the next questions or you want me to?

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eep! I haven't read the next section, Pamela. I could do them tomorrow, I think. I posted a comment to you in the HEAC Mod Group.

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

ok, no hurry ☺

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (last edited Jun 08, 2012 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 3 – 6

6. Reading from Jessica’s diary at the beginning of every chapter certainly makes her ghostly present more prominent in the book. Did you figure it would ultimately reveal something important? Or didn’t you give it a thought. If so, what were your predictions? Was it going to be about a person or an event or what?

7. What do you think of Aunt Patricia? Would you be as tolerant and forgiving as Christina? I don’t think I could handle her constantly dissing my mom. For you, what is her worst offense so far?

8. Book Quotes: “First we’re going to have a normal conversation…” Well, the man certainly doesn’t give up. LOL! You say he is frustrated by her evasiveness, but things like, “You wouldn’t be manageable,” and “I find you almost too appealing to deny.” are pretty up-front. True? And I love the expression: “proper law” LOL! And I love that she finds his scar attractive. **sigh**

9. Speaking of sighing… what did you think of that kiss? Of her telling him his curiosity could get him killed? Of one of my favorite scenes, the alcove scene (pre-robbery)? Book quote: “Birds are your enemies?” Oh, there are too many great lines in this book. I’d be re-typing the whole thing! LOL!

10. Did you like the mischief-makers scene? I love that Christina looks at the blades of the knifes to determine their quality and Lyon considers her weapon crude, yet also admires the blade.

11. Were you surprised Christina’s father was still alive? That he could run - and ruin - her life?

12. Why has Christina changed her mind about marrying Lyon?

13. Book Quote: “She don’t want me overdoing,” he said. “Got to save me strength for the old bat’s orders.” See? I could just type away. I know I’ve said it before, but I just love Elbert. You?

14. Book Quote: “Good? Why, Lyon, you do say the oddest things.” “I say…” Lyon shouted with laughter. “Christina, you haven’t made any sense since the moment I met you. Every time I see you I promise myself I’ll get a normal conversation out of and then—” and “No, I’m not a heathen.” Sorry. Just can’t stop typing them. ☺ Man-oh-man! I wish this was on audiobook. I’d love to hear that last sentence said with Lyon’s stiff upper English lip. LOL!

15. Then there is the whole ‘philosopher’ verses ‘philanderer’ issue. Did you anticipate with which word she would confused philosopher? I’ll admit, when I first read this, I couldn’t image. What about chameleon?

16. I love that she is most often barefoot. Now, see. I’m not asking questions… I’m just rambling on and on about what I like about this book.

17. We’ve seen Christina’s patience with her aunt and now we have Lyon’s patience with his mother. Are they very similar or only somewhat? How are they different?

18. When did you become suspicious of the Earl of Rhone? Do you think he is justified in desiring revenge? Were you surprised Christina showed up, even if she was ‘cardless’ and forgetting about the Summertons? LOL!

message 16: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks for the questions, LK. I'll answer later today. My daughter wants me to take her swimming. ☺

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okay! Enjoy! Swim a lap for me.

message 18: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol

message 19: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 3 – 6

6. The first time I read this one I think I probably felt it was going to tell us something. But I didn’t know what. I figured him to be an abuser but I didn’t begin to guess anything else.

7. I had an instant dislike to her. I had hoped she was redeemable but well….And, no, I could never be as forgiving and kind as Christina. Even if I had been brought up the same as she was. It hasn’t come yet.

8. Love em all. And more wonderful quotes to come. I don’t mind the scars either. lol

9. The chaos surrounding her was confusing. Everyone was suddenly talking at the same time. Perhaps she should try to swoon after all, Christine considered. No, the settee was already taken, and the floor didn't look all that appealing. She settled on wringing her hands. It was the best she could do to look upset.

10. I thought it was hilarious! Lyon sure does want to know the truth of that incident.

11. Well, we knew it would be too simple if he wasn’t. Hard to believe her grandfather would make that will that way. Cutting Aunt Patricia totally.

12. He wouldn’t be manageable. Christina also knows it would be hard to leave him when the time comes.

13. Yep, love Elbert. Another example of Christina’s compassion and respect for her elders.

14. I’m not familiar with all your audio books but do you have a specific reader you think would do this book justice?

15. Actually I’m surprised she didn’t muck up more words than she did.

16. That’s fine. I love the barefoot thing too. I’m not much into shoes myself.

17. Christina’s aunt is mean and Lyon’s mom is just grieving. I don’t think Lyon’s mom really understands what she is doing. But Aunt Patricia is very aware of what she is about.

18. Lol. Forgetting the proper laws again. But concern for Rhone preempts the “laws”. I don’t really remember when I suspected Rhone. Probably when Christina thought he looked familiar. The Summerton? Who? lol

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

@ Pamela

#6 – Ditto!

#7 – Yes, my dislike was instant, too. I just knew she wasn’t redeemable.

#9 – Oh, yes! That was too funny. **Lisa Kay wrings hands too**

#10 – Oh, yes, he wants to figure her out. I love when he asks if she thinks being mysterious will be what attracts him to her. He thinks she is playing games – and she isn’t, LOL!

#11 – Oh, my! Yes, that pushed her aunt’s button alright!

#14 – I just now started to pay attention to narrator’s names. I love Susan Ericksen who does the In Death series. And Rosalyn Landor, who does a lot of Lisa Kleypas book – and just won an audio for The Winter Sea. She would probably be great on this one. Suehyla El Attar, who did Lucky Harbor, and Emily Grey who does Parosol Protectorate series.

Male narrators have a rougher time of it for me, b/c I don’t like listening to them during the love scenes if they sound too pervy. However, I'm listening to Robert Petkoff read Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night currently - and YUM!

#17 – Good point.

#18 – Who? LOL!

message 21: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

take your time...

Questions for Chapters 7 through 8

19. Christina is a believer of destiny. "She was the lioness of the Dakota. Lyon simply had to marry her. It was his destiny." How do you feel about the subject of one's destiny in literature? Does it work for you? Most of the time I like it. But it depends on the author too. Ms Garwood did it right I think. Not too heavy on the destiny thing.

20. Cecille. There are some women who don't know when to give up. Christina certainly put her in her place though. Do you feel Cecille added anything to the story? Do you feel Christina was justified in her actions towards Cecille?

21. Well, Lyon knows the truth about the knife now. Does this change his feelings towards her? Or do you think he now has a strange admiration for her?

22. LOL The trip to England. Aunt Patricia earned a rep for being a pain. No surprise there. What about the woman who threw the sailor off the ship? haha I love that girl!

23. "With a growl of new frustration, Lyon accepted the truth. There was only one way he could keep Christina by his side. Hell, He was going to have to marry her." I guess, Lyon has now accepted his "destiny". Comments?

24. The evilness of Aunt Patricia. The Splickler plan was low even for her. Has the woman any redeeming qualities? I think not.

25. Well, it did turn out to be an interesting night. Christina changing her mind about marrying him and then the deed and.... Well, could it get any more interesting?

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (last edited Jun 09, 2012 09:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay’s Answers to Pamela’s Questions for Chapters 7 through 8

You are an evil, evil woman, Pamela! You know this is my favorite JG. I haven’t worked this book into ANY challenge this month, yet here I am reading it! And loving every minute of it. LOL!

19. Christina is a believer of destiny. "She was the lioness of the Dakota. Lyon simply had to marry her. It was his destiny." How do you feel about the subject of one's destiny in literature? Does it work for you? Most of the time I like it. But it depends on the author too. Ms Garwood did it right I think. Not too heavy on the destiny thing.
I loved it earlier, when Christina asked Lyon if he believed in destiny – and he said no… because you just knew she was soooooooo his destiny, LOL! Yes, you are right. The author has to be very careful with the ‘destiny’ issue. Some are too heavy handed; JG does it just right. The way Diana brought it up and Lyon groaning. LOL! Too funny. I just love Diana! Diana: “Christina said the strangest thing.” – Lyon: “Of course she did.” LMAO! You can just picture him standing there, frustrated and distracted and his sister popping in with something he contrastingly does and doesn’t want to hear. Too funny! And then she said their mother is the way she is b/c of Lyon! FOFLMAO! Then, later, he uses destiny against Christina when he calls out to the Hudson & Lady Margaret.

20. Cecille. There are some women who don't know when to give up. Christina certainly put her in her place though. Do you feel Cecille added anything to the story? Do you feel Christina was justified in her actions towards Cecille?
Oh, yes, I definitely feel Cecille added to the story. Loved to see Lyon eavesdropping, Christina welding her knife again – and that she threaten Cecille over the treat of upsetting her aunt and not over any jealously or insecurity over Lyon. I think she was justified. So appropriate that she threatened her vanity; she sure had her number!

21. Well, Lyon knows the truth about the knife now. Does this change his feelings towards her? Or do you think he now has a strange admiration for her?
Yes. His little warrior ‘angel’ – LOL!

22. LOL The trip to England. Aunt Patricia earned a rep for being a pain. No surprise there. What about the woman who threw the sailor off the ship? haha I love that girl!
Well, Louie had it coming, he did! Yes, I’d like to get to know any ‘pretty’ that could throw him overboard – she’d be mighty interesting to get to know. LOL!

23. "With a growl of new frustration, Lyon accepted the truth. There was only one way he could keep Christina by his side. Hell, He was going to have to marry her." I guess, Lyon has now accepted his "destiny". Comments?
Oh, yes! If ever an epiphany could be a gradual thing, this book has it. Especially for a man that can’t hold a thought for more than a minute in his head. LOL!

24. The evilness of Aunt Patricia. The Splickler plan was low even for her. Has the woman any redeeming qualities? I think not.
Nope. None. Too ‘self-serving’ – LOL! BTW, just loved that Elbert was visiting his mother. ROFLMAO! And Christina reminding Lyon they were her attackers? **chuckles** Too much! JG lets us in on the set-up, but does it with humor!

25. Well, it did turn out to be an interesting night. Christina changing her mind about marrying him and then the deen and.... Well, could it get any more interesting?
Loved that Christina got to see Lyon in warrior mode…even if it was only in a ‘little skirmish’… and all his marks of valor… Loved the love scene and the fact that Christina & Lyon have this discussion: Lyon: “Marriage is forever, Christina.” Christina: “According to your laws, not mine…” Ha ha! A set-up for one of my favorite scenes in the book! You know which one… LMAO!

message 23: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

This is certainly one of my faves too. Ransom and Honor's Splendour being up there along with it.

19. Yes, there wasn't too much emphasis on the destiny thing which I felt was good.

20. Cecille had it coming but I did feel a bit sorry for her. She needs a life. Just not with Lyon. lol

23. Yes and then Christina changes her mind. lol But I think Christina knew she couldn't change her "destiny", though.

24. I loved it when Rhone came to tell Lyon and his reaction. I loved Rhone later when he climbed up to Christina's window. Ouch!

25. Yeah, an interesting night....

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

@ Pamela

#20 - Aw. I usually feel sorry for the other woman when others don't... but not too much this time. LOL!

#24 - Yes, love the crawling thought the window scene. Rhone is a good friend. Ouch! is right. ☺

message 25: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

You want the next set?

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sure, bring it on.

message 27: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapters 9 through 12

26. What was your opinion of Aunt Harriet? A wise woman? Dense as fog?

27. Lyon learns the truth about Christina's father. That he is going to kill her. Does he believe her or do you think that he thinks she is touched in the head like her mother and there is nothing to worry about?

28. Aunt Harriet tells Lyon to be gentle with Christina but Christina thinks she means for her to be gentle with Lyon. lol How did you like the wedding? How about the wedding night?

29. The solicitors arrive, along with Aunt Patricia. How do you feel Lyon handle things? Should he have smacked the Countess?

30. They arrive at the country manor. Christina doesn't want her own rooms. After two blissful weeks Lyon returns to London. Was it the right time to go? Should he have taken Christina with him?

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay’s Answers to Pamela’s Question for Chapters 9 through 12

26. What was your opinion of Aunt Harriet? A wise woman? Dense as fog?
Oh, I love Lyon’s aunt. What do you mean dense? She’s got the sight! LOL!

27. Lyon learns the truth about Christina's father. That he is going to kill her. Does he believe her or do you think that he thinks she is touched in the head like her mother and there is nothing to worry about?
I think he believes her more than he thinks she’s touched in the head. However, I do think he is cautiously considering that she is just stressed. I don’t think he believes the possibility that he’ll kill her. He almost has a patronizing attitude about it, but not quite… which saves him, in my book.

28. Aunt Harriet tells Lyon to be gentle with Christina but Christina thinks she means for her to be gentle with Lyon. lol How did you like the wedding? How about the wedding night?
Loved that Christina was nervous and Lyon wasn’t. LOL! I’m glad Christina straightened him out about the difference between a lie and a fabrication. Loved that Lyon gave her those three little words. Glad he realizes it and is willing to tell her.

29. The solicitors arrive, along with Aunt Patricia. How do you feel Lyon handle things? Should he have smacked the Countess?
Well… not smack…but something. I’ll have to think on what would be appropriate payback.

30. They arrive at the country manor. Christina doesn't want her own rooms. After two blissful weeks Lyon returns to London. Was it the right time to go? Should he have taken Christina with him?
Oh, no, he shouldn’t have gone to London! At least not alone. But, he’ll pay for it. LOL! Still, he got the words before he left.

message 29: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

26. I took the phrase "dense as fog" from the book. lol

27. I think he believes that she believes it. And I don't think he really thinks her crazy. Just a bit odd but in a good way.

28. Loved the wedding and the night. Ms Garwood can write ☺

29. I'm all for smacking but I guess that wouldn't have been in character and Christina would have got upset. Still it would have been nice.

30. The honeymoon's over? Yes, he got the words. I personally thought he needed to take her along.

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

#28 - **sigh** Yes.

#29 - All true.

#30 - Ditto. He should have taken her along.

message 31: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

You want to do that last question set, LK?

If not, I'll do them and wrap this up. ☺

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm in the middle of two DQs for "buddy reads" - no, wait! That is three that I need to do DQs for! Eep. Could you do them, Pamela?

message 33: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

ok. I'll do them tomorrow sometime. ☺

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Great, Pamela! You're a sweetie. ☺

message 35: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 13 to the end

31. Christina receives her mail. One letter was very shocking to her and she "swooned". Did Christina do right in leaving the manor? Or do you feel she should have sent someone to Lyon? Comments?

32. The tavern scene was quite funny in my opinion. But Lyon wasn't too amused. Was he right in his anger? Was Christina right in her next actions?

33. Why did you think of the "divorce"? Hilarious! Lyon isn't going to accept it so easily, though. Comments?

34. What was your opinion of Lyon's mother? Should Lyon have told her the truth?

35. Christina finally meets her father. Did it go as you expected? I always thought the ending got a bit rushed in that aspect. I would have liked the man to suffer in some way. Sure, we are given to believe that suffer he will but we never really know. Comments?

36. Any last observations or comments about this book?

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm going to answer these later, Pamela. I feel a migraine coming on. You know what my favorite scene in the book is - the "divorce" scene. LOL! Thanks for doing these.

message 37: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new) - rated it 5 stars

sure, take your time!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.