Books + Movies + Tv Shows = Awesome!!! discussion

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
FILM FEST 2012!!! > Hobbit Holes & Greedy Goblins

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L On December 14th (UK only) the much eagerly anticipated film of the year; 'the hobbit: an unexpected jouney' shall be released in cinemas, to the delight of many Tolkien fans! Following on from the huge sucsess of 'the lord of the rings' directed by Peter Jackson, this film has a high standard to live up to...do you think it will live up to expectations and 'an unexpected journey' and 'there & back again' will be just as (if not more so) brilliant?!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This is the tale of Bilbo Baggins (a hobbit) who embarks on a perilous quest with the company of Dwarves and an old, wize wizard named Gandalf. He encounters many trials & tribulations along his journey into the unkown and many an enemy, but nothing prepares him for the magnificence of Smaug's lair or the complex riddles he endures with Gollum...

Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) (bookboundbecky) I can't wait for this! I think it will be better in the action sense, because there's so much great material to work with, but it will probably more comedic. :)

message 3: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Hi Becky! Yes, i would have to completely agree with you. Lord of the Rings is quite a serious tale & the hobbit was designed origionally for children, so even with the epic battle scenes i certainly think that compared to 'Lord of the Rings' it will be toned down a lot! There is a lot of material to work with & there are quite a few bits that i am looking forward to, such as;
The trolls who turn to stone...
The spiders...and sting
and the great battle under the mountain...

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey Well, I have to wait another week. Poo.

message 5: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L A week?? It is being released (to my knowlege) on the 14th December...a long time off :( !x

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey Haha I meant that I have to wait another week after it's already released in the UK. Hobbit releases on Dec 21st over here.

message 7: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Oh, poor you! Now i feel really terrible...
How about funny pics to cheer fans up?!

Having a fun journey??

Eh, what's this?!

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey I feel much better now.

message 9: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Good! :) x

Zohal | 62 comments I can't wait for this to be released. It looks amazing !!!

message 11: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L I could not agree more as a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings films, i am so excited about the hobbit! x

message 12: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) It's got Tim from The Office, it's going to be great.

I rewatched the extended versions of the LotR films fairly recently and I was glad to see that they are still good.

Mind you, Sam is quite possibly the most irritating character I have come across for a while.

message 13: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Really, that will be interesting to see?! I can imagine though with Tim in it, that it will be quite comedic :)
I love the extended DVD versions of LOTR and i cannot count now how many times i have seen them, but i love how much detail they cover; from the making of the films to Tolkien's other works and his life. It is so facinating and i do hope that they will do the same and make an extended edition for The Hobbit as well.

Sam...he is quite funny, caring and someone who at first i thought was quite dimwhitted...well, until i met Merry and Pipin that is (or rather Pipin!) x

Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) (bookboundbecky) Michael wrote: "It's got Tim from The Office, it's going to be great.

I rewatched the extended versions of the LotR films fairly recently and I was glad to see that they are still good.

Mind you, Sam is quite po..."

:O You no likey Sam? I loves Sam!
What do you find irritating about him?

message 15: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) Sam is just such a moany sap. Imagine Ross from Friends but with his testicles removed.

That's Sam in a nutshell.

I haven't read the books so my perception is based entirely on the films.

Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) (bookboundbecky) Michael wrote: "Sam is just such a moany sap. Imagine Ross from Friends but with his testicles removed.

That's Sam in a nutshell.

I haven't read the books so my perception is based entirely on the films."

Haha fair enough, I found Frodo the most irritating one.

message 17: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L What, Mr.Frodo!! How can he be irritating...
:) x

message 18: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) Actually, I have to agree that Frodo is also irritating.

Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) (bookboundbecky) Lucinda wrote: "What, Mr.Frodo!! How can he be irritating...

:) x"

Haha because he moans a lot, and complains and Sam does all these nice things for him and he doesn't care because he's all spaced out with the ring. Not really his fault....but still.

:)

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey I loved the hobbits until Sam and Frodo went off on their own. Then the whining began. Geesh already. But I still loved the films. :) Especially the extended versions, much more in depth, long but worth it.

message 21: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) Actually, every time I see the words 'Hobbit holes' I get all kinds of dirty thoughts.

message 22: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L I was actually really upset in 'the fellowship of the ring' when Sam & Frodo split up and left the other members...from then on it felt less 'united' hence i don't really understand how thier faith in Frodo being alive was still strong until the battle at the Black Gate...they had not seen Frodo in such a long time (Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and Gandalf). They had no idea if he was still alive and on his way to Mordor, and yet they still kept going...stregth of heart. x

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey Such a dirty mind Michael.

message 24: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Micheal...don't understand you (please do not explain as i would rather be left in the dark)?! Xx :)

message 25: by Luna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Luna (lunaraven) | 18 comments As much as I like Elijah Wood I think that the writers did his character a disservice. Frodo was not so whiny nor dependant in the book. But then again, I think Frodo's whinning is excusable as his mind was being corrupted all throughout their journey and his soul was being taxed. More than anything, he feared becoming Gollum and the object of other's hate and pity.

On a side note, who else is going to dress up? I'm already planning my costume.

message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 16 comments I loved the Lord of The Rings books and was thrilled to bits when the films came out. I thought the third film 'The Return of The King' was Sam's Film. He was so self sacrificing and such a hero, holding Frodo together. Can't wait for 'The Hobbit'.

message 27: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Sam was such a selfless character who showed true loyalty and humility, hence being a role model for all. I am so excited about the Hobbit film coming out this Christmas...i cannot wait! x

Zohal | 62 comments funny thing I have to say. I'm not a fan of lord of the rings yet I love, love, love the Hobbitt

Rachel (velliya) | 2 comments THE HOBBIT! :D
My favourite book of all time! I'm so psyched for the movie!

message 30: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L The Hobbit is such a great read...i cannot wait until the film release!! x

message 31: by HC (new) - rated it 4 stars

HC | 10 comments I can't wait!!! I hope it turns out as good as the Lord of the Rings movies!!! I loved those! :D

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie Rainey Seen this article on the HuffPo and I thought you might want to see it.

'Hobbit' Footage Amazes Comic-Con
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07...

message 33: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Thanks so much for this link...amazing!! x

Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) (bookboundbecky) Hey guys! Have you heard the news? The Hobbit is going to be split into THREE movies to make a TRILOGY instead of the two films we were expecting. You can check out my blog for details and links to several articles as I just did a post on it http://beckysblogs.wordpress.com/2012... or you can do some research yourself. :)

So thoughts? What do we think about this?

message 35: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L OMG! I am shocked. Well, that was unexpected, as i would have thought that it would have made sense to have just the two films??!! Well, it will certainly prolong the agony of waiting impatiently in-between films for the next one...good & bad. x

Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) (bookboundbecky) Hahaaa yeah I'm somewhat torn inbetween the two as well! I mean, I absolutely loved the book and there is a lot in it, and I have faith in Peter Jackson, he hasn't led us astray so far. And yet....I still think it's going to be difficult to fill three films! They've said they may be including stuff from The Similarion as well from what the articles have been saying...

message 37: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L Ooooh...very interesting! The more they can incorperate Tolkien's vast history (like from the Silmarillion) then the better, as it NEEDS to be shared with all!

message 38: by HC (new) - rated it 4 stars

HC | 10 comments THREE??? Wow! I wonder how that's going to turn out... :D

message 39: by M.L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.L. Guida | 1 comments I have to say I'm excited for the Hobbit to be released. I first started reading this as a kid and used to read it on rainy days. In regards to Frodo, I don't think his true character was captured in the film. He was more elvish than he was portrayed and not a whiner. Anyway, the Hobbit will be interesting, since its made into several parts. It's not that big of a book.

message 40: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L I am just as excited as you M.L and cannot wait until Christmas!! x

message 41: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L I agree! I don't now how i am going to cope waiting years to see the ENTIRE hobbit. After film 1 i shall be begging to see more...:(