Outlander Series discussion

Characters > Geillis Duncan-Abernathy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 19 comments I'm a bit surprised not to find a thread about Geillis Duncan/Mrs. Abernathy, and I hope it's OK to start one. I actually came here hoping to see if anyone else had any thoughts on the possible connections between her and Dr. Joseph Abernathy, Claire's best friend in the 20th century. I feel like the choice of surnames can't be a coincidence, yet I don't see how they might be related. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Also, was it ever explained exactly HOW she made her way to the islands and established her estate?
I have to say, as DG's villains go, she is one of the creepiest! But I guess zealotry, combined with a twisted nature, could produce such a person.

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Absolutely it's okay to start one. We don't have all characters yet, figuring that as a topic came up we could create them. Also, thank you for checking before you just created one.

I don't remember how she came to be on the islands, maybe someone else can touch on this.

The Joe Abernathy/Geillis connection comes from Ishmael the slave, who was brought to to Geillis, I'm pretty sure. I think Joe is his descendant. When slaves were brought over they were often given their owners name. I think this is how the Abernathy name was passed down to Joe, and why Joe's son wanted to change his name to one of his ancestors... wasn't it even Ishmael?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Wendy I thought exactly the same re Ishmael being an Abernathy. Also Joe's son had gone back to his roots and seemed very reminiscant of Ishmael. It would also account for why the vodoo was so strong with Claire as they had the energy bond of freindship.

Did not Geillis have to flee and married a rich plantation owner to get near to her goal of getting back to her own time.

message 4: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments You could be right about that. That was what she was trying to do.

message 5: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Geillis Duncan for me is one of the more interesting characters I go into each book wondering if she is going to be in it and what she is going to do next.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I find her creepy but she provides interesting plot twists. So many of DG's side characters have so much intrigue that they would make for interesting short stories in themselves.

message 7: by Dianne (new)

Dianne gertt wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Geillis Duncan for me is one of the more interesting characters I go into each book wondering if she is going to be in it and what she is going to do next."

I agree, I keep wonderin..."

I am up to A Breath of Snow and Ashes So I am hoping she is in this one. I just need time to be able to relax and enjoy it.

message 8: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Diane wrote: "I find her creepy but she provides interesting plot twists. So many of DG's side characters have so much intrigue that they would make for interesting short stories in themselves." I liked Geillis in the beginning when Claire first met her until she tried to hypnotize her and I didn't trust her after that. I was glad she saved Claire's life when Jamie came to rescue Claire from being accused of being a witch but still didn't trust her. I always wondered too how she got that house in the island and having slaves makes me wonder if she somehow is Joe Abernathy's relative or something. Strange that they have same last name. Anyway, would be interesting if she turns up in next book and what she will be up to.
Anyone know when book 8 will be released? I was hoping end of this year atleast.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (coffeeaddicted1988) | 34 comments gertt wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Geillis Duncan for me is one of the more interesting characters I go into each book wondering if she is going to be in it and what she is going to do next."

I agree, I keep wonderin..."

Do you remember in Voyager? She's in Joe's office talking and a guy walks in with a box with bones in it.
(view spoiler)
The answer should be in Drums of Autumn.

message 10: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Alex wrote: "gertt wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Geillis Duncan for me is one of the more interesting characters I go into each book wondering if she is going to be in it and what she is going to do next."

I agree, I..."

forgot all about that.

message 11: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments Alex wrote: "gertt wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Geillis Duncan for me is one of the more interesting characters I go into each book wondering if she is going to be in it and what she is going to do next."

I agree, I..."

Yes I always wondered who's remains that was in Joe's office.

message 12: by Dianne (new)

Dianne To bad it fun wondering what she would do next.

message 13: by Teresita (new)

Teresita A | 531 comments I liked Raymond. He saved Claire's life when she lost baby Faith, at the hospital. I always wondered where he came from. I believe or hope he will be in book 8 and find out more about him. I thought it was funny when he first met Jamie and he wasscared of him because of how big and tall Jamie is.

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 19 comments BTW, can anyone tell me how to pronounce Geillis?

message 15: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I can't remember how they pronounce it in the Audio. Someone else will have to answer that. A website says that it's pronounced GAY-leesh.

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments When Divina Porter reads it on audio it is like Gay-lee

message 17: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 19 comments Thanks! In my mind, I have been pronouncing it kind of like "guileless" -- oh well. Guess I need a Gaelic pronunciation guide. I know some of the rules, but obviously not all of them!

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina | 162 comments Alex wrote: "gertt wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Geillis Duncan for me is one of the more interesting characters I go into each book wondering if she is going to be in it and what she is going to do next."

I agree, I..."

This is confusing to think about...Claire is in Joe's office when Gillie's bones are brought in, but this is before Claire goes back and actually kills Gillie. So does that mean that Claire changed the past? If Claire didn't go back, would Gillie's bones be sitting in Joe's office? Very confusing to think about.

Also, what did happen to Raymond? I can't remember..did he die or leave or are we not sure?

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorimcd) | 657 comments Tina, it's one of those mind-bending, endless circle kinda things.

IMO, everything happened as it was supposed to, meaning that Claire was supposed to go back, so Geillie was supposed to die when she did, producing the skeleton that Claire would see before she went back the 2nd time.

Raymond... well, he seems to disappear. No real mention of him, even though Claire asked about him when she returned to Paris before she and Jamie set sail after Young Ian. But DG is writing a story about him, so she might tell us. Although, we do know that he had *some* influence in the 1960s in the U.S., because that's how Otter-Tooth and his buddies went back and tried to "help" the Native Americans to be free of the white man (esp English and Americans).

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Didn't Master Raymond send some odd items to Claire when they were on the ridge?

message 21: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments That's right, he did. She got a package from him.

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I can't wait to read more about him as a character. Glad to know that it was not my memory that was amiss and you remember that too. The details are foggy to me but I guess I will get to it during one of the rereads.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorimcd) | 657 comments Diane wrote: "Didn't Master Raymond send some odd items to Claire when they were on the ridge?"

I remember him sending her things in Scotland in DIA, but not on Fraser's Ridge - thought it was only LJ that did that? Been awhile since I've re-read Fiery Cross, ABOSAA, and Echo, so I'll make sure to look for his packages as I re-read them. (Something to look forward to!)

message 24: by Leah (last edited Aug 23, 2012 08:04PM) (new)

Leah (leah_moss) | 91 comments gertt wrote:
How would Abernathy have gotten Gillis bones if she died in the cave in the islands?..."

The bones brought to Abernathy's office were from that cave in Jamaica. They had been excavated. They were puzzling to the drs because they were a 20th century woman's bones, but were 200 years old. I remember them giving Claire the chills. And no doubt...she's the one who killed her and put the dent in her skull. Mind-bending for sure! I don't think it ever mentions Claire putting it all together though...

message 25: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I believe in that scene (in Voyager, be careful for spoilers as these threads are not spoiler okay threads), after she (view spoiler). I think that's pretty much the only explanation we got, that I can remember. Oh wait, was there a moment where she dreams Joe singing 'Them bones' and it was Geillis?

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I am listening to The Firey Cross now and it is mentioned in there also (just heard it today so it is fresh) I'm too exhausted to figure out how to spoiler tag or I would add some specific details.

message 27: by Emily (last edited Dec 03, 2012 06:51PM) (new)

Emily Graves | 3 comments Vanessa wrote: I'm a bit surprised not to find a thread about Geillis Duncan/Mrs. Abernathy, and I hope it's OK to start one. I actually came here hoping to see if anyone else had any thoughts on the possible connections between her and Dr. Joseph Abernathy, Claire's best friend in the 20th century. I feel like the choice of surnames can't be a coincidence, yet I don't see how they might be related. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Somewhere in Voyager Claire thinks how much Ishmael's voice reminds her of Joe Abernathy's. Wendy F. was right when she said a slave often took the name of his owner which pretty much solidified that Joe is descended from Islmael. It has to be true, it makes too much sense!

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan (dreadpiratemegan) | 1 comments This is my first post - this seems like the right place to ask!

Does anybody know how Geillis and Claire start 20 years apart and end up in the same time? Actually Geillis would have gone back at least 5 years before Claire because she was so well-established...why is there a 20-year rule for Claire but not Geillis? I never understood that, I'm rereading all the books but haven't come across an explanation yet and I'm getting impatient!

message 29: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) I thought it had to do with "focusing" on someone or something in a time period. Geillis would have done her research and known when she wanted to arrive, so she could focus on someone she knew was there at that time. But Claire went back completely by accident. Claire's first trip (I think) was random. The second time, she had Jamie to focus on.

message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily Graves | 3 comments In Voyager, Geillis tells Claire it was the jewels and a blood sacrifice. I'm still skeptical about the sacrifice, but I do think the stones okay a part. If the time traveler has a gemstone on his or her person during the passage, it's gone when she gets to the other side so something is going on with them. Maybe they provide some sort of stability or protection? Insurance? No idea. The only thing we are sure of if is Geillis used them and so did Otter Tooth and his gang. Not all of them were successful, but they were able to steer somewhat.

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily Graves | 3 comments Sorry, *play* a part. Can't edit on my phone!"

And just thought of something else. I don't think it's entirely about focusing on a person. When Roger and Bri go back with the kids, they have no one to focus on but rely on ritual and gems.

message 32: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) I think the gemstones definitely provide some kind of protection. How, I have no idea. But I have to wonder somewhat about that... Claire went through the first time with nothing to protect her, but she emerged on the other side of time relatively unscathed.

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorimcd) | 657 comments I thought Geillis said that the stones also helped one to "steer", which is why she was so fascinated with Claire's explanation of thinking of someone that she wanted to go to in the time she was trying to travel to - Jamie, for example, when Claire went back to try to find him. (And probably Frank, when she went back right before Culloden.)

message 34: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Well there's the stones. BUT, also it's not exactly 20 years. Claire herself was 2 years away from 200 years. Otter Tooth wasn't exactly 200 years himself. The stories say '200 hundred years' but that's more of a benchmark passed through generations, not exact.

I think it's the focusing, myself. I'm not sure about whether I believe the stones thing. I think perhaps having the stones and precious metals help with the pain of it, but it's more a focusing. The first time Claire went through she said she thought she felt Frank, who we know was actually BJR. That's why she wound up on that date and with Black Jack so near. The feel and focus of who she thought was Frank pulled her into that date.

BUT, that's just my theory.

message 35: by Carolyn (last edited Dec 08, 2012 10:04AM) (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments I think Geillis and Claires 20 years versus 5 years difference (going back) might have to do with what Jamie said "she's and auld one (old)" when he refers to Claire. Geillis becomes fascinated because she's a bit of a nut job and "forces" her way back in time the first time in my opinion, blood sacrifices, etc. and she is surprised in her conversations on how Claire just "falls through". It's like Claire has always been destined for both times and/or Jamie somehow. I think or hope that Diana will close some loops for us with the "last?" book as far as what she thinks (i.e. is time always running in parallel? or for the old ones? Jamie and Claire are and always have been connected somehow too, as in the beginning of Outlander, Jamie waits outside Claire's window, he sees her at a desk in one of his dreams in the books,it's like they're always connected but by very narrow planes..and he can't come forward, at least not apparently so...I hope Diana gives us more on them and these theories in the new book!" I still can't imagine anyone else but chris hemsworth playing Jamie and Emily Blunt for Claire...

message 36: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments Teresita wrote: "Alex wrote: "gertt wrote: "Dianne wrote: "Geillis Duncan for me is one of the more interesting characters I go into each book wondering if she is going to be in it and what she is going to do next...."
How about the bones in the cave in France? More mysteries to be unraveled by Diana

message 37: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Yeah, I really hope she tells us how Jamie came to be standing looking through Claire's window before she goes back the first time.

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol | 193 comments Wendy F wrote: "Well there's the stones. BUT, also it's not exactly 20 years. Claire herself was 2 years away from 200 years. Otter Tooth wasn't exactly 200 years himself. The stories say '200 hundred years' bu..."

Let's not forget about the ghost of Jamie. He was looking at Claire at the b and b before the story begins! If he was dreaming of her, which we know he does, when is that? Could it be that they are in a 'time loop' or something, that steers Claire to him the first time? Also, roger and Bree have friends and family to focus on - like Fiona and dr. Abernathy.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura P | 114 comments Carol wrote: "....roger and Bree have friends and family to focus on - like Fiona and dr. Abernathy. "

I always assumed Bree and Roger focused on Dr. Abernathy because he knew the truth and could help them resettle (their odd clothing wouldn't have surprised him when they reappeared in their own timeperiod!) and he would have been some help to them with his connections in the medical field.

message 40: by Carol (new)

Carol | 193 comments I think so too!

message 41: by CHC94 (new)

CHC94 | 44 comments I have to revive Geillis. I am reading Outlander, and was at the part where Claire & Geillis were at Geillis' house. She said something like, "If there were acting here..."

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol | 193 comments Wendy F wrote: "I believe in that scene (in Voyager, be careful for spoilers as these threads are not spoiler okay threads), after she [spoilers removed]. I think that's pretty much the only explanation we got, t..."

She remembers...

message 43: by CHC94 (new)

CHC94 | 44 comments I am on my 2nd reading of Outlander & find it mors entertaining this time. I have noticed things that were missed the first time I read it.

Geillis is a real piece of work. I'm not sure what to share b/c I don't know how far anyone is in the series...

All I can say is WOW. She is quite a character. I'm wondering how she went from the Highlands to her new home... guess I will just keep reading!

message 44: by Leah (last edited Dec 19, 2012 12:21PM) (new)

Leah (leah_moss) | 91 comments I have always assumed Geillis went back further than Claire because of the blood sacrifice and her purpose/focus being for the Jacobite cause. I think we will find out more details in the next book as we follow (view spoiler)

message 45: by CHC94 (new)

CHC94 | 44 comments After what happened with Dougal MacKenzie, how did she manage to come back? I never quite got that.

message 46: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorimcd) | 657 comments CHC94 wrote: "After what happened with Dougal MacKenzie, how did she manage to come back? I never quite got that."

CHC94, I'm going to put this in a spoiler tag, just to be extra sure: (view spoiler)

Hope that helps!

message 47: by CHC94 (new)

CHC94 | 44 comments Lori McD wrote: "CHC94 wrote: "After what happened with Dougal MacKenzie, how did she manage to come back? I never quite got that."

CHC94, I'm going to put this in a spoiler tag, just to be extra sure: Geillis did..."

Yes, that helps a LOT! Especially after I sat down at my computer and realized I could unlock the spoiler tags - can't do that on my phone. Thank you!!

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (aloiver) | 1 comments Leah wrote: "gertt wrote:
How would Abernathy have gotten Gillis bones if she died in the cave in the islands?..."

The bones brought to Abernathy's office were from that cave in Jamaica. They had been excavat..."

Oh but Claire DID put it all together. I think it was the last chapter or second to last in Voyager. It's during the hurricane on LJ's boat just after the Porpoise sunk. Claire "had a sudden hideous vision of the scattered limbs I had seen on the beach by the corpse of the Bruja..." She hears Joe's voice in her head again going, "Dem bones, dem bones, are gonna walk around. Now, hear de word of de Lawd!" Next paragraph: "Another clap of thunder and I screamed, not at the sound, but at the lightning bolt of memory. A skull in my hands, with empty eyes that had once been the green of the hurricane sky."

I know that's when Claire put it together bc that's when I put it together the second time. There is no doubt this was implying Gellis, DG always mentions how green her eyes are.

message 49: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Yeah, that's what I always thought, too, Rachel. If I reached that conclusion then Claire had to have. I got chills when I read that part the first time in the book.

the other courtney | 162 comments Ditto on the chills. That's one scene that always makes me wonder... Was it precognition or "memory"? Technically it had already happened.

« previous 1