The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Time Machine

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10062 comments Mod
Welcome our group host Mirvan!!

Thanks so much for nominating and agreeing to step up and kick our group read discussion up to the next level! Looking forward to seeing you in action!

message 2: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 82 comments Hello everyone!!! I am happy to host my very first ever book discussion and I am thrilled to have all of you join me here.

First thing is I want to know who has read the book already or not yet or who is in the process of reading it now... I haven't read the book myself but I have a copy which I will now start.

Hope that you all start posting soon =P

message 3: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I finished reading it Thursday. Very short, fast read.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 190 comments It's a quick read. I've been reading it on my phone during commutes and just finished it yesterday.

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen I read it a long time ago .

message 6: by Ioana (new)

Ioana Quick read? I'll give it a try, too

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee I have not read it before, but was pleased to see that it is a free book on my nook!

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (mkop359) I also read this one awhile ago. It's one of my favorites. Hated the movie, by the way.

message 9: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments Hi, Mirvan! You are a host?????? So cool! I read it 100 years ago... And I remember I liked it like all other stories by Wells. I can not retell this story, but remember at least that it is about.
Meg, you hated the movie? I did not watch the movie, but was about to for refreshing in memory this story with skipping reading (still I did already in past). What movie you didn't like? (year, county of production, stars?) I think there are different movies adaptions

message 10: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 82 comments Yuliya I am so glad you are here. I love the latest adaptation of Time Machine. The image of the shattered moon is unforgettable.

To all, if you are given the option to choose to go back to the past or move forward to the future, which one will it be?

message 11: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments Depend on just to see or for forewer

message 12: by Meg (new)

Meg (mkop359) Yuliya wrote: "Meg, you hated the movie?..."

I think the movie just didn't live up to my imagination and expectations. The book is so imaginative; traveling through time and seeing sights I'll never live to see. My favorite part was when he gets to the end of time and there's nothing left. The description of what the world is like then is just.. amazing. About the only thing I liked with the movie is the sequence when he first travels in the time machine and the roses grow up over everything. Other than that, there just isn't the same sense of wonder when he moves forward in time.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments Finished while on a road trip. Really enjoyed it! First time ever picking up something by Wells.

message 14: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 87 comments I read it when I was about 14 and still remember now (30 years later) how much I loved it...still remember the book it was in too, big hardback collection of Wells with blue cover. I enjoyed the 1960s version of the film, not so much the more recent one.
THE HISTORY OF MR POLLY was another good story too.

message 15: by Emmet (new)

Emmet O'Cuana | 6 comments Fantastic book. Wells is one of those classic sf writers who builds his stories about grand ideas, which is why they're so timeless.

I also thought Michael Moorcock's own time travel narrative - Dancers at the End of Time - was a lovely tribute. Wells even pops up in it.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments Mirvan wrote: "Yuliya I am so glad you are here. I love the latest adaptation of Time Machine. The image of the shattered moon is unforgettable.

To all, if you are given the option to choose to go back to the pa..."

I think I would like to go back to the past just to visit, but if I were to stay anywhere I'd like to stay in the future. I'd want to visit the past more because I'm a history nut :)

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 56 comments I downloaded this book from gutenberg.org where it's one of the free ebooks. At that price, why isn't everyone reading it? :-)

To answer Mirvan's question - I'd go forward but in smaller steps. And I would sure stop before the end of time because I'd be afraid I'd end up somewhere that didn't support human life! Who am I kidding, I'd be too afraid to move into next year in case I landed in the middle of a fire or an epidemic or a flood or... The protagonist of this book was one brave (and crazy) guy!

I was fascinated by watching the Time Traveller see things and then try to figure out what they meant. He was wrong a lot more than he was right. The repeated reference to capitalism and communism I think is a statement of the times when Wells wrote the book. I wonder if someone travelling to the same scenes from 2012 would analyse it the same way.

This aspect of the story made the book not only a sci fi story of a potential future but also a statement on perspectives, human judgement and how much we belive in our own view of the world.

message 18: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments Ashley: "I think I would like to go back to the past just to visit, but if I were to stay anywhere I'd like to stay in the future..."
How I said early, it depends on for how long I would have to go to past or future. I have opposite thinking - I would go to past if I have to choose. It's more familiar to us by books, museums, chronics, architectures and artifacts... There is a lot of not pleasant moment in history, but still it more familiar because of that comfortable to be. I just would choose "the best past time" for me....
Future I would only visit, and how it says Laura: "by small steps forward: Future scares me - just remembering "Artificial Intelligence" movie, or other movies about end of world, even children Wall-E or books like " The Handmaid's Tale, the future just much worse than present.... so, I'm agree just for fast visit of future to fulfill curiosity and choose past to live.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (amarie007) | 22 comments Yuliya wrote: "Ashley: "I think I would like to go back to the past just to visit, but if I were to stay anywhere I'd like to stay in the future..."
How I said early, it depends on for how long I would have to go..."

You have a good point there Yuliya! I think it just depends on how far back or forward you go.

message 20: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 82 comments Sorry for appearing again so late. I just got home a few days ago from the hospital after a few days of confinement.

The book Time Machine is considered as a book of the Dying earth genre. Any similar books today that you have read that you think is similar to the concept of the Time Machine?

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 56 comments Mirvan - I hope you're feeling better.

You pose an interesting question. I don't think I've read anything that fully compares with TTM - that mix of sci-fi and futuristic doom created by evolution. There are plenty of books with a pretty grim future for humans such as The Road by Cormac McCarthy (where it is supposed that humans nuked the planet) or Mara and Dann by Doris Lessing (where an ice age has changed the environment dramatically). But I haven't read anything (that I can remember) where multiple species have evolved creating totally new humans. And that to me is more significant than the short part of the book where the time machine is taken far enough into the future to see the sun dying.

If the death of the sun is what classifies TTM as Dying Earth genre, than I do think that's such a small portion of the book as to mean it shouldn't really qualify. The biggest part of the book by far is the whole concept of time travel and the speculation about what has caused the human race to fracture in two.

message 22: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 82 comments Laura wrote: "Mirvan - I hope you're feeling better.

You pose an interesting question. I don't think I've read anything that fully compares with TTM - that mix of sci-fi and futuristic doom created by evolution..."

You have a really good point! I actually thought of The Road too.

For me, the TTM can be considered as one of the Dying Earth books because in a way, the Earth as we know it died. Humans became other life forms. The Earth per se did not change at all. It still thrives. But human civilization drastically changed.

By the way, check out the Wikipedia entry on TTM. It shows that there are some deleted parts from the original manuscript. Read it. It also sounds interesting and adds a subtle flavor to the whole book!

message 23: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 82 comments Yuliya wrote: "Ashley: "I think I would like to go back to the past just to visit, but if I were to stay anywhere I'd like to stay in the future..."
How I said early, it depends on for how long I would have to go..."

You got it! Handmaid's Tale and the movie AI also comes to mind in relation to this book!

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 56 comments Mirvan wrote: "Laura wrote: "Mirvan - I hope you're feeling better.

You pose an interesting question. I don't think I've read anything that fully compares with TTM - that mix of sci-fi and futuristic doom create..."

Mirvan, I did as you suggested and read about the deleted text. Interesting that Wells wrote the text at the request of his editor and then removed it. I guess he didn't like it. It sounds even darker than the rest of the book (which can be pretty dark if you think too much about it).

And you're right, our version of the earth has died in TTM. It's not that the environment has turned against us, we've turned against ourselves. Like I said earlier, I'm not too keen to travel too far into our future. There are too many ways it can all go bad:-O

message 25: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna (rosannabell) | 125 comments What did you guys think of Weena and her relationship with the time traveler?

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 56 comments Rosanna wrote: "What did you guys think of Weena and her relationship with the time traveler?"

Creepy? Hardly true love based on mutual respect and equal status. But Weena's relationship to her peers was even worse! Makes me glad to be a woman/human in the 21st Century.

How about you?