Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Need help identifying book please

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tawvb (last edited May 31, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Tawvb | 5 comments I love horror books and especially apocalyptic horror books. I do get confused though as I read so many but usually I can identify all apocalyptic books I have read, with the exception of one which has been haunting me for years, and no amount of research can help me remember the name and the author.

Also I do not have much to go on, as I can only vaguely remember a few sections, and of course the overall tone, which is apocalyptic. The tone: Some of the people maybe all have turned savage, raping, violence, destruction.

The first part that I recall a little bit about is a furniture store, a woman and her daughter are trapped in there as savage teenagers come into the store, the woman hides in a wardrobe.

Second part part that sticks in my mind is an office building with a stairwell, and some of the good guys are going somewhere in the building up the stairwell but realize that most of the people in the building have gone crazy and are raping and murdering each other.

Finally one other part I recall is a gang of the good guys are walking down a street, on one side is a hotel full of bad guys but I think the leader of the bad guys has some sort of psychic abilities, as do some of the good guys. When they get past the bad guys, one of the characters I was beginning to like, is attacked by a lion (as animals have escaped from the zoos) and it rips his arm off.

That's all I remember, so if anyone can help I would be so grateful, this has been puzzling me years and every now and then I do a search of the net hoping to get a clue. I found a thread on here that was about apocalyptic novels and am going through them, but although I have reviewed most none seem to the book I am looking for.

message 2: by Solitaire (new)

Solitaire Parke (solitaireparke) | 14 comments I did some research online and I came up with "The Rising" by Brian Keene. I think this might be the book you're looking for. In one of the reviews I found on Amazon it mentions zombie animals and says that there's even a zombie lion. I hope this helps! :)

message 3: by Armand (new)

Armand Rosamilia (armandrosamilia) That doesn't sound exactly like The Rising to me, though... one of my favorite books and the reason I became a zombie writer, in fact... but very similar plot ideas...

Armand

message 4: by Tawvb (new)

Tawvb | 5 comments Thank you Solitaire, I shall check that out. :)

Thanks for your input Armand.

message 5: by Tawvb (last edited Jun 01, 2012 03:56AM) (new)

Tawvb | 5 comments I have the book, and I am going to scan through it. But I don't think it is The Rising as there wasn't any zombies in the book, the people had gone crazy, like in The Fog by James Herbert. The book also had a supernatural element, as I am sure both good and evil sides had mind powers.
Thanks appreciate your input.

Added:
Checked the book, not the one, but it looks like a good read. I can see why you thought it might be the one as there is a part with a Zombie lion , lol. I also think the book was much earlier than this one which is I think 2003. The book I am looking for is possibly 80s or 90s. I read it a long time ago.

message 6: by Armand (new)

Armand Rosamilia (armandrosamilia) Let us know when you find it, because it sounds like a good read, lol

Armand

message 7: by Char (new)

Char  | 13721 comments Mod
It does! LOL

message 8: by Solitaire (new)

Solitaire Parke (solitaireparke) | 14 comments No problem Tawvb! I tried. :) I'm very curious as to what the book was now. lol I'm on a mission! hahaha If I find anything else, I'll let you know! :)

@Armand - I should have continued looking after your comment...I mean who's going to know zombie fiction better, right?! :)

message 9: by Armand (new)

Armand Rosamilia (armandrosamilia) LOL... I love me some zombie books...

Armand

message 10: by Tawvb (new)

Tawvb | 5 comments Thanks Soltaire. I really appreciate your help :) But at least you introduced me to Brian Keene and I am going to read The Rising next. Thanks :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

These types of threads always remind me of the classic Citizen Kane / Kids in the Hall sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-Lxm...

message 12: by Solitaire (new)

Solitaire Parke (solitaireparke) | 14 comments No problem Tawvb. I'm always up for a good challenge! I'm glad that some good came from my initial search! :)