Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > How many books do you read at one time?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I'm curious. I used to read two, one fiction and one nonfiction. Now I sometimes have three going. The third is usually one that's not holding my interest, but I don't want to necessarily stop reading totally. So, what do you do?

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I have up to 8 sometimes on the go.

Two audio ones, one at home for housework chores and one on my ipod in my car for my journeys out and about.

I may have 3 ebooks on the go, and 3 DTB, I just go from to the other as the mood takes me, what I am doing or where I am going. I read anytime and anywhere.

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I downloaded Defending Jacob, my first audio, and seem to fall asleep everytime I listen. Maybe when I fly to my sister's next week?

message 4: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Well depends.

Usually a one book kind of person but if I'm having a hard time deciding on what to read next I'll get about two going untill one grabs me more than the other.

When I'm listening to audio I do have that and one actual book. I only listen to audio on long drives (find it keeps me more alert) or when I'm working out (which I haven't in awhile)

Find listening to a book is a learned habit type of thing.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I can only read one at a time. On rare occasions, I try to read one fiction and one non-fiction. I sometimes have to take a break from books to catch up on magazines that find their way into my house.

message 6: by Melki (new)

Melki I always have at least five going - one each - fiction, nonfiction, short stories, poetry, and a graphic novel.

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I have at least two going at once. If something doesn't grab me, I move on to something else.

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Laurel wrote: "I downloaded Defending Jacob, my first audio, and seem to fall asleep everytime I listen. Maybe when I fly to my sister's next week?"

Laurel, I just started this yesterday and it's sending out Picoult vibes.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth It varies. Often have an audio book in car and usually 2 or 3 books of varying genres going. At present: Carl Hiaasen's Star Island audio - very good; Alex Kava's Hotwire - most recent Maggie O'Dell series read; Faulkner's The Sound and The Fury; and, Redemption in Indigo - club read, early pages but seems promising.

message 10: by Caroline (last edited Jun 01, 2012 10:31AM) (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I can only read one at a time or I have trouble getting back into the groove of the story or I get confused about characters or what's going on. I also don't like when I like one better than the other because then I barely pick up the other.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments Mine varies hugely depending on what I'm reading, what kind of mood I'm in and what my workload is like. Sometimes I'll just have the one on the go, other times it can be anything up to 5 or 6, I think the most I've had on the go at once is 11 but some of them were work related, others were baking related so there was a lot of dipping in and out. Lately it's been just the one or two at a time as work has kept me pretty hectic of late.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments A few times in my life I've had two books going at a time, a fiction and nonfiction. But I stick with one at a time almost entirely. It's really important to me that I totally immerse myself in whatever I'm reading, and I can only do that with one at a time.

message 13: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Mary wrote: "A few times in my life I've had two books going at a time, a fiction and nonfiction. But I stick with one at a time almost entirely. It's really important to me that I totally immerse myself in w..."

Yes! Well stated. It's about total immersion for me too.

Vicky, it happens to me EVERY TIME when I read more than one at a time--I always end up favoring one over the other. :/

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm usually a one book at a time reader too. If I have a book of short stories I may read something else & just dip into the short stories now & then. Or if I'm reading something that I do want to finish but am feeling a bit burned out on, I may take a break from it & read something quick & light, but I'll usually finish that 2nd book before going back to the first one.

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Theresa wrote: "Laurel wrote: "I downloaded Defending Jacob, my first audio, and seem to fall asleep everytime I listen. Maybe when I fly to my sister's next week?"

Laurel, I just started this yesterday and it's..."

I never made that connection, but you're right. Well, one of her better ones at least.

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I always have 2 going. One usually wins out over the other, but 99% of the time I finish them both.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 55 comments I usually have two going--a fiction and a non-fiction. As it happens, one is usually a hard copy book and the other an e-book.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 67 comments I usually read one book and listen to one at the same time

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) At this moment have 3 which is fairly normal
Large hardback by bed as can't carry around
One easy to read pick up for few pages at work if hanging around which quite normal
one main book which take to star bucks,train journeys and pubs etc
never more than 3 but sometimes less

message 20: by Kel (new)

Kel | 34 comments I always have 3-4+ of different genres going and I read whatever I am currently in the mood for, plus travel, bathroom books, etc. I adopted a DNF policy when I hit 26 (for the 14th time or so!). I no longer feel compelled to finish a book just because I started it. Life is too short and I have too many books to read. I don't have too much of a problem re-immersing myself in a book if I've left it for a bit. Keeping the genres separate helps with that.

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Kel wrote: "I always have 3-4+ of different genres going and I read whatever I am currently in the mood for, plus travel, bathroom books, etc. I adopted a DNF policy when I hit 26 (for the 14th time or so!). ..."

I totally agree, Kel. I don't hesitate to abandon a book if it doesn't grab me.