2022 Reading Challenge discussion

TBR Twins > TBR Twins - General Rules and Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited May 31, 2012 01:00PM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments TBR Twins - General Rules and Questions

We're going to try to add a new element to our group. If you're anything like me, your TBR list is growing faster than your Read list, and you could use just a little encouragement.

- Sign up for TBR twins each month in the new thread (this way, you can opt in or opt out for whichever months you choose).
-You will be semi-randomly paired with a twin (we'll aim for as similarity in genre and style preference as possible).
-You and your twin will choose a book that you both have on your TBR lists (or that you would at least like to read if you don't share any books). If you would like, this can even be a buddy or group read.
-You'll read it together and PM questions or comments to each other.
-Voila! You'll have one fewer book on your TBR list.

This thread is for general questions, comments, or suggestions. And let us know if this is or isn't something you'd be interested in, too! We'll need to achieve critical mass to make this effective.

Adapted from something seen in another group.

message 2: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (aunt_nonna) | 107 comments I'd love to.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 87 comments I'll try it.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (cnicole322) | 86 comments Sure! I have so many, it'd be nice to have some help deciding what comes next.

message 5: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments Yes! This is good and maybe something I´ve needed without realizing :)

message 6: by Gina (new)

Gina I would like to try it.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) Sounds fun!

message 8: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Melanie, if you're interested in August, can you sign up here? http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Sorry! I just realized that my message was pretty confusing, and I shouldn't have had two different links. :)

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shelbysue) I think this sounds fun! Count me in

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Kempkes (ashleykempkes) | 16 comments This sounds fun! I totally need to cut down on my TBR list! If I read 50 books a year, it would still take me... 14 years. O.O

message 11: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) I think i get it. Mallory picked a book which i actually have called Carlisle, Kate If Books Could Kill red

message 12: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Great! Lindy, let me know if you have any questions.

message 13: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Fell4 wrote: "This sounds fun! I totally need to cut down on my TBR list! If I read 50 books a year, it would still take me... 14 years. O.O"

LOL.. I did that same kind of math to figure out how long it would take me to read just the books on my shelf.. assuming I read 65 books a year, don't read anything else, and don't buy anymore. I think it was almost 5 years..

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) April Lyn wrote: "Fell4 wrote: "This sounds fun! I totally need to cut down on my TBR list! If I read 50 books a year, it would still take me... 14 years. O.O"

LOL.. I did that same kind of math to figure out how l..."

Okay, you both inspired me to try this out on my own list.

If I read a book a day, it will take me just under 5 years to read my entire list.

And now I feel completely overwhelmed!

message 15: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Melanie wrote: "April Lyn wrote: "Fell4 wrote: "This sounds fun! I totally need to cut down on my TBR list! If I read 50 books a year, it would still take me... 14 years. O.O"

LOL.. I did that same kind of math t..."

that's impressive. could you read a book a day?! I sometimes struggle to read one a week!

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) April Lyn wrote: "that's impressive. could you read a book a day?! I sometimes struggle to read one a week! "

I usually average a book a day, yes. It depends on the book, and on my mood, and what all is going on, but so far this year, I've finished 296 books. Only 1840 on my to-read list, 57 library books, and 73 recommendations from former classmates to go!

message 17: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Wow Melanie. I can't even read that fast!

message 18: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments How long should we give our Twin to get back to us on what book to read? Like should we give them until the 31st and then let you know? I'm just not sure what an appropriate time frame is. =]

message 19: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Alexandra, with the holidays, I'd give it a few more days. I'd say the 31st is reasonable for this time of year. :)

message 20: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (hawkescream) | 153 comments That's kind of what I figured, thank you!

message 21: by Colby (new)

Colby Dahlia | 54 comments I'd like to try

message 22: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments That's great, Colby! For March, please sign up here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 23: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) Am I too Late?

When you sign up, please answer the following questions.
1. Do you prefer YA or adult books?
Adult
2. Would you rather read science fiction or romance?
romnance
3. Do you enjoy non-fiction, particularly non-memoirs?
I read some
4. What is your favorite genre? (Tip: If you answer "any," I'll have a harder time with your pairing. please try to narrow this down at least a little.)

mystery, thrillers, then romance

message 24: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Lindy, I have you paired with Ashley for March (I believe she contacted you via messages), and I have not set up the thread yet for April. You should be all set. :)

message 25: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) so i just sit around and wait

message 26: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Have you not received a message from her? I will ask her to try to reach out to you again. Thank you!

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I sent a message earlier today. I will send another one right now!!

message 28: by Katelyn (last edited Mar 10, 2013 02:24PM) (new)

Katelyn | 73 comments Can you choose what month you want to participate or do you just wait till the sign up thread comes around? I am too busy for the month of April But I know in May I will have some free time.

message 29: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments You can sign up for May when that thread comes around--should be posted right at the start of April. :)

message 30: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn | 73 comments I want to sign up for May I am so excited!

message 31: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments That's great, Katelyn! You can sign up here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 32: by Juliana (new)

Juliana | 60 comments I am too late for this??

message 33: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments You are not too late, Juliana! You just need to sign up in the January sign up thread. I'm sorry--commenting from my phone so I can't link you directly.

message 34: by Lacee (new)

Lacee (laceew45) | 36 comments Am I too late? ... Gosh I am a month behind... :/

message 35: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 48 comments as my partner said, my tbr list is very short. Since I'm new to all this, I'll start adding more to it. Thanks for the guidance. :)

message 36: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments I was wondering when January TBR partners were going to be picked.

message 37: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I just started creating the pairs, and I'm hoping to have them posted today.

message 38: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Oh awesome thanks!

message 39: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments (It might be tomorrow. Our Christmas Eve festivities are taking up more of the day than I expected.)

Jenny (Novel Idea) (novelidea) | 69 comments I definitely want in on this please!

message 41: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Jenny, you can sign up for the next one here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Thanks!

message 42: by Berit (new)

Berit | 140 comments I noticed it's too late to sign up for the next month, do you do this every month? It sounds like a really fun idea :-)

message 43: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Berit, we do! The thread is posted at the start of each month. :)

message 44: by Berit (new)

Berit | 140 comments Thanks, I will look for it, and sign up for next month :-)

message 45: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookworm2017) | 37 comments I missed it for March, but would like to sign up for April, Will u be sending an e-mail out when its time?

message 46: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Kat, it'll be included in the monthly group broadcast. :)

message 47: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Meyer (euxxth) | 105 comments I would like to try this! I know the December participants are already set in stone, so to speak, but I would love to participate for January!

message 48: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Great, Patricia! The new thread will be posted at the start of December.

message 49: by Annie (new)

Annie (annie-somanybookssolittletime) | 52 comments What a great idea! I'll inscribe myself for January! Thanks

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Stevens (sarah957) | 12 comments Is there a certain list of books we need to chose from for the TBR Twin challenges? Is there a guideline for discussions or anything?

« previous 1