The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > And now for something completely different- Snow White

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Snow White and the Huntsman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4SQ9x...

Humm. I never though of Snow White as being a PG-13 kind of story.
This is certainly different from the version I remember.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6194 comments Is the Huntsman a vampire?

message 3: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Try reading the original Grim versions of most fairy tales. My favorite is the Cinderella in which the stepsisters cut off various parts of their feet, then stuff the bloody remains into the glass slipper. Apparently the prince doesn't notice until Cinderella's woodland friends, the sparrows, sing him a little ditty pointing out the gushing arterial spray. Then the birds peck the sisters' eyes out.

message 4: by Random (last edited May 31, 2012 01:58PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) If I remember right, an older version of Sleeping Beauty, the Prince did not wake her with a kiss. Instead he slept with her. She was eventually awakened by a baby trying to nurse.

message 5: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments A single girl living with twelve men.
(Not that there's anything wrong with that)
I guess I should have seen that coming.

message 6: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jun 01, 2012 10:30AM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3507 comments Mod
Kristen Stewart going to be fairer than Charlize Theron? :-?

I think that mirror's faulty and blind ;-)

message 7: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6194 comments They should have gotten the real Joan Jett.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Planning on seeing this on Sunday. Two big Charlize Theron movies opening in one weekend. Oh yes!

message 9: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments Heh, sorry, but after being a huge Joan Jett fan and seeing Kristen Stewart kill "The Runaways" I will forever and ever pass on any movie that stars her in it.

Anyone else (within reason) could have played Snow White in that movie and I would have seen it... Not giving it the time of day...

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments I've managed to avoid the Twiglet films. Not sure what else I might have seen her in.

message 11: by Madison E. (new)

Madison E. (madiemartin) | 40 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Kristen Stewart going to be fairer than Charlize Theron? :-?

I think that mirror's faulty and blind ;-)"

AGREED!

I saw the trailer and was mildly interested until Stewart came on the screen. No thank you.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (mrwednesday) | 23 comments Tim wrote: "I've managed to avoid the Twiglet films. Not sure what else I might have seen her in."

She was also in "Panic Room" with Jodie Foster, but that was in her tween years.

I like Chris Hemsworth. I've liked him in both Thor/Avengers and Cabin in the Woods. I also like this version of the Snow White fairytale and I'm looking forward to it. So, yeah, I'll be seeing this one.

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Ah, ok. She was on Graham Norton a couple of weeks ago. I must admit I hadn't twigged who she was. She didn't particularly impress. Charlize Theron was on last night's show, although I haven't watched it yet. (it's on iPlayer here, but I don't know if that's available in the US)

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments I saw this last night. It was nowhere as good as it should have been and certainly not "88% Fresh" as it was on RT yesterday.

And, as we already know, Kristen Stewart is a talentless hack.

message 15: by Nimrod (last edited Jun 02, 2012 12:26PM) (new)

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Kristen Stewart going to be fairer than Charlize Theron? :-?

I think that mirror's faulty and blind ;-)"

Colbert Said it best! See 3:00

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Could you summarise? That video is region-locked.

message 17: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments @Tim, sorry about that, he basically is interviewing Charlize Theron and he says to her that she's too pretty to be the Wicked Witch because she's much prettier than "That Vampire Girl". :-)

message 18: by Warren (last edited Jun 02, 2012 05:50PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Tim wrote: "Could you summarise? That video is region-locked."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgy8bL...
45 seconds into the clip...and a funny remix-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0u4ov...

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments "One hot woman to another..." LOL! Thanks

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Kristen Stewart wasn't bad, given that I didn't have all the Twiglet baggage. Charlize Theron was hamming it up to the nines. Chris Hemsworth was.... Chris Hemsworth. The dwarfs though totally stole it.

Good action. Good effects. Good acting, especially from the dwarfs, which were body-doubled LOTR style. There was more than a whiff of a Cersei/Jamie thing going on between the Queen and her brother, which added an interesting dynamic.

I gather this was Rupert Sanders first movie. He's certainly got the eye, he just needs more practice. I think he has the potential to reach the big leagues. Some of the dialogue was really clunky (the "St Crispin's Day" speech... well, who ever wrote it should be shot: It was awful)

Definitely better than the Julia Roberts effort earlier in the year, I'd give it a 3.5

message 21: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Tim wrote: "Kristen Stewart wasn't bad, given that I didn't have all the Twiglet baggage. Charlize Theron was hamming it up to the nines. Chris Hemsworth was.... Chris Hemsworth. The dwarfs though totally sto..."
Thanks for the review. I usually hate remakes
but in this cases I might make an exception.

message 22: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments It wasn't too bad. It was basically one of those kind of cheesy 80s low-budget fantasy flicks like Labyrinth or Ladyhawke, only with huge big-budget production values and some top-notch talent on board (yes, Jennifer Connolly, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer are considered great actors now, but in those films they were just starting out).

It dragged in parts during the first half--they really needed to introduce the dwarves earlier to inject a lighter tone into this. But some of the art direction was really well done, Charlize Theron was great, and I liked Chris Hemsworth and the dwarves. Kristen Stewart? Well, Snow White was your generic blank slate hero who might have been suffering PTSD from a decade of imprisonment. I can't think of anyone better for that role. (But fairer than Charlize? Not so much.)

message 23: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) The only thing I knew Kristen Stewart for was Adventureland, and in that she wore a Husker Du t-shirt, so I gave her the benefit fo the doubt. I am also aware of her hilarious work being poorly photoshopped on the cover of fashion magazines that have removed her arm and, on the recent Elle cover, photoshopped her body down to where it's narrower than her head. Who approves these things?

message 24: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments In Grimm, the Huntsman is done once he brings the Queen the fake heart (actually I think it was lungs & liver in the original). In this movie he doesn't go back at all, which is kind of a shame, as he gets in the way of the dwarfs. I guess that "PG-fies" it a bit since it eliminates the need for any gore.

Someone told me there were 8 dwarfs in this because Disney has copyrighted 7???

Also there's a bit of a vague attempt to set up a love triangle between Snow, the Huntsman and the limp Prince, but it never really gets going and then just gets forgotten. That would have been better cut out completely, but I suspect Studio Intervention may have been in play there, looking for sequel potential.

message 25: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 49 comments I only want to watch the movie for Theron but wish Stewart would disappear from the scene!

message 26: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments So the consensus seem to be
Rent the video but don't stand in the rain
to see it in a theater.