Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > Off topic Chat

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
Feel like some off topic chat?
Or have something to get of your chest?
Secrets to tell? ( just remember it will be posted for all to see so choose your secret wisely)
Or just want someone to talk to for a bit.
Here is the place for all that.

Please be respectful of other peoples views. Any posts deemed too inflamatory will be deleted without warning.

message 2: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Pinard (cjpinard) Hi all,
Member Annie asked that we sign this petition if you are interested in petitioning Stephenie Meyer to finish Midnight Sun!
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 3: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle I'm not sure this is where to post this question... but I'm looking for help finding a book...

When I was in grade school I read this book (I THINK it was titled "My Sister is a Vampire" or "My Sister, the Vampire"... or something like that...) anyway, I cannot find it ANYWHERE, and I'm not sure if it's because the book is out of print or if it's because I've got the title wrong...

it's about these kids, and they think there's a vampire preying on them, and they have to boat out to an island... and the older sister is being slowly turned into a vampire over a series of days... anyway, can anyone help me out on the title/author? It was in the Juvenile section of the library, that's all I remember.

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Jenelle i have nno idea which book it is... Maybe someone else can help.

message 5: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) There is a group here on GR that specializes in figuring out problems like you're having, Jenelle. I can't recall the name of it or find it off hand. Hopefully someone else knows. I've heard they're very helpful & fast, though.

message 6: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i have been frantically searching for a website i came across years ago. it does the same thing .

message 7: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Switched Switched (My Sister the Vampire, #1) by Sienna Mercer
could be this but there is nothing about boats to islands etc.

message 8: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) I found the group hat figures out books. It's here:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 9: by Justine (new)

Justine Saulnier (goodreadscombookworm247) | 46 comments ok im up for chit chat hey whats up im Justine and i love all things books and my boyfriend i am curently working towards becoming a vet can not wait to be a vet i love animals as much as i love books <3

message 10: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle Adele wrote: "SwitchedSwitched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking
could be this but there is nothing about boats to islands etc."

Nope, that's not it. Thanks for trying!

Horace wrote: "I found the group hat figures out books. It's here:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1..."

Thank you! I will go see if they can help me out!

message 11: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Justine you sound like a very busy person.

message 12: by Adele, Moderator (new)

OK this topic has gone a little stale so let's see what we can do to revamp it.

how fast do you read?

I vary my speed depending on how absorbed I am in the book. but sometimes I have been known to inhale books!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Likewise. If I'm absorbed in a book I can read it quickly but if it is thought-provoking, I am slower. I'm currently reading "Solstice: Restoring the Sovereignty of My True Self" by Paola Graziani. It is just so, so good and it's making me really think about life in general. This is the first time that I have been reading a book and actually feel as though I am participating in the pages with the author. It's bizarre but wonderful.

message 14: by Adele, Moderator (new)

some books are an experience aren't they.
I haven't read a book like that in ages.
the last book I read that really made me think was tomorrow when the war began by john marsden. I loved it so much I ended up reading the whole series. I laughed, I cried and I was made to wonder what if?

message 15: by Clark (new)

Clark Hays | 2 comments our goofy post about Ouija boards prompted an interesting discussion about witchcraft, devil worship, alchemy and more. Love it when that happens. Add your insights, if you are so inclined.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...

message 16: by Allan (new)

Allan Krummenacker (allankrummenacker) | 10 comments How fast I read, depends on how many interruptions there are around me. College, people wanting to get together or come visit and I wind up playing host. My wife wants to go somewhere etc. Usually I can read pretty fast... IF I'm allowed to. Mind you these interruptions do not happen all the time, just since before Christmas.

Also, even when left alone to read at my own pace, I savor the story and what's going on. I get caught up in books and can really find a good break off point at MY leisure instead of someone elses.

message 17: by Adele, Moderator (new)

ooh I love reading at MY leisure. not snuck in between breaks, or....yes I am guilty...reading under the covers in bed. I feel like such a criminal reading sometimes. my family don't understand why I would want to read. they don't understand the relationship you have with a character. they don't understand the loss of your character friends at the end if the book/series. they also don't understand the frustration of a cliffhanger either.
I can read quite quickly, but some books you don't want to as you feel like you are cheating the experience of a book.
I feel sorry for those people in my family and for those who don't understand what it means to just read one book.or just one more page/chapter etc.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I like to read slow so that i can understand the book the plots andd twists and when the nest of twists happens i take time to say " YOU BASTARD HOW DID YOU THINK OF THAT!!!!BLOODY GENIUS!!!" and then take dewp breaths and resume the book. Although ive been known to finish a book of 500 pages long in 2-3 days because i just sit in a corner of the house and dont lift my head up until i finish itor if im about to fall asleep.

message 19: by Adele, Moderator (new)

yes I have been known to do that too. except a few times I have giggled and cried on a packed train, all due to a book! lol

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I do that too! I also take breaks speculating different endings. Sometimes one of them happen and sometimes they all are dead ends (thats when the book is really good). :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahahaha :)and then say to yourself i knew that was gonna happen and wear that innocent face. ive had a few books that made me cry * no shame in crying over a book* and the most recent was the The night angel series by Brent Weeks.

message 22: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
*blink* I just read... I don't think I analyze anything... unless I have input from people on here, like Ebony, who has a completely different opinion on some books than I do. Makes it interesting, though.

message 23: by Adele, Moderator (new)

ok new question.
Ebooks or Real Books, or Both?
which do you prefer?

personally i prefer real books, but i have a tendency to read a lot of Ebooks only because financially i can't afford real books right now. .. i also travel a lot.

but i do miss the smell of books, that's when i do a reread of books on my bookshelf.

message 24: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Depends... I LOVE novellas.. which seem to be only E-Book... But the feel of a real book under my fingers is so worth it too. So I would say both. Though, due to time constraints, I am adapted to Audiobooks which are GREAT!

message 25: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 41 comments Either, as long as I can read it. :P
I don't mind the format. I do read paperbacks I received from authors before any ebooks though. I tell myself it's because they cost the author money, but I know deep down it's because I like the feel of real books, their smell, and all.
Plenty of physical books are awaiting to be read in my library, but these are traditionally published books, and I only read SP for the last twelve months or so.
Maybe when I'll hit a bunch of bad books, (if I ever do) I'll take a break and read those.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (phonebooklady) I prefer ebooks and audio. I never thought I would say that. I travel for a living and it was all good till the first time I had to mail my books home from Australia. I could have gotten all new books for the price of postage, I have about 150 unread paperbacks at home but it seems I can't get comfortable when reading a paperback. Some day I will read those paperbacks....

message 27: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
I've started audio books a lot in the last couple of years and it increased my yearly challenge number from 172 books in 2012 to 223 books in 2013. I just read a little less since then, in 2014. it is just a little too slow when I really want to finish, I'll switch to reading when that happensv

message 28: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

for a change of subject... does anyone use the dvorak keyboard? My friend changed to it and types a lot faster. To be fair, he typed really fast before switching over. I'm trying it out but am frustrated like mad. I finally know where the keys are but am at about 10 words a minute.

I type about 45 on the QWERTY with punctuation. Not too fast but not a crawl either.

message 29: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i have worked in a lot of admin places. i have never seen nor touched a dvorak keyboard.
we did learn about them at school but to me those things are like a mythical creature!

we did however learn that the dvorak keyboard helps you type faster.. i type 80wpm on the qwerty on a very good day. on average i think i would be about 65-70. which is a lot better that before. i may use more fingers on the keyboard now but i am no where near as fast as my mum.... i have no idea how much she types but it is a hell of a lot faster than me!

message 30: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

What is a Dvorak keyboard?

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejewels) | 23 comments The Dvorak layout was designed to replace the QWERTY keyboard layout (the de facto standard keyboard layout, so named for the starting letters in the top row). The Dvorak layout was designed in the belief that it would significantly increase typing speeds over the QWERTY layout.

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejewels) | 23 comments I use the Qwerty, but I have never used the Dvorak. My typing speed on average is about the same as Adele's 65-70 wpm.

message 33: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

I went and took a couple of typing test on line at 3 different sites, a couple of times and came up about the same on each of 46-50 wpm. I would love to go up 20 or 30 wpm but I'm topped out... I think. My friend was like you two at 70-80 and went to 100 and above. Just one person so not proof but compelling for me. Still I've been switching back frequently just from frustration.

Adele, you don't have to get a special keyboard, you just go into the language settings in windows and setting it as one of the English language keyboards that you use. Then tell it to have the settings on the task bar and you can go back and forth.

I've taped little glowy letters in the Dvorak places over the qwerty letters. My daughter and husband had a fit. :-) They plugged in a backup keyboard into a free USB and push my keyboard aside.

message 34: by Adele, Moderator (new)

lol that is one way to do it!! i always thought it was a special keyboard... i'd never seen it personally but i assumed it existed.

message 35: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

I wonder how that would work. I can type 85 wpm on a QWERTY, so I wonder if I could almost hit 100 if I had the D Key (I gave it a new nickname)

message 36: by Adele, Moderator (new)

lol i like it the Dkey. well let us know if you do.
Amy has the right idea though. putting little stickers on the existing keyboard. i think it would help a lot.

message 37: by Krystal (new)

Krystal | 31 comments Who think The House of Night Series by PC Cast and Kristin Cast should become a movie. If so who should play the cast, I have my ideas whats yours?

message 38: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Krystal wrote: "Who think The House of Night Series by PC Cast and Kristin Cast should become a movie. If so who should play the cast, I have my ideas whats yours?"

I liked the series, but after oook 10 it should have stopped. Book 11 was a waste. I could see it as a series, but I don't want them to slaughter this like they did True Blood. Honestly, I am not sure who I could see. I think they should get a bunch of never heard ofs and go from there. I could see Erik being played by the boy who played Jace in City of Bones.

message 39: by Krystal (new)

Krystal | 31 comments It really depends on if you have a good production/director.

I would have
Angelina Jolie- Neferet,
Meryl Streep- Grandma "Silvia" Redbird,
Lesley Fera as Linda Heffer "Zoey's mom",
Chad Lowe -John " Zoey's stepdad" Heffer,
Janel Parrish - Kayla"ex bff of Zoey"
Kyle Gallner- Heath Luck
Nina Debrev or Zoey Deutch-Zoey Redbird
Ashley Benson-Stevie Rae Johnson
Bianca Lawson-Shaunee "Twin"Cole
Anna Sophia Robb- Erin "Twin" Bates
Candice Accola-Aphrodite Lafont
Steven R. McQueen-Damien Maslin
Michael Travino-Erick Night
Zach Roerig-James "Stark"
Ian Somerhalder-Darius
Glen Close-Sister Mary Angela
Cierra Ramirez-Shaylin
Tyler Christopher-Detective Marx
Joe Manganiello- Kalona
Nyx-Brianna Danielson(Bre Bella WWE)

message 40: by Adele, Moderator (new)

oh wow you have put a lot of thought into that one!!!
i agree with some of these. the others i have research and find out who they are!

message 41: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

I feel really old... That list is amazing and I have NO Idea who most of those people are. I do agree with the Joe Manganiello/Kalone and Meryl Streep and Angelina Jolie... Nice!

message 42: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Norma we are practically the same age... we are not that old! ok fine we may not know who half of those people are however we are in the generation that knows how to Google things.
tell a senior citizen to Google something and they will look at you like you insulted their ancestors, or give you the dreaded blank stare.

message 43: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

LOL! I just mean we are old in the eyes of teenagers. I have no idea who any of the people my daughter watch or listen to. I guarentee that she knows almost everyone on this list.

message 44: by Adele, Moderator (new)

sorry Margarita, but you can't promote in this topic. we have a members work folder for that.

message 45: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Felices (felicm60) | 7 comments deleted

message 46: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Thanks for that! :o)

message 47: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

No and I think it needs to be deleted as far as I can see it is a job website. Your decision Adele as you are the moderator.

message 48: by Adele, Moderator (new)

how did i miss this?
yeah this doesn't belong here. thanks for catching it Amy. Comment deleted.

message 49: by Elena (new)

Elena (coles3434mccombk12msus) | 14 comments Yall should read The Vampire Diaries.