Indie Book Club discussion

Draykon (Draykon, #1)
This topic is about Draykon
Book of the Month Fantasy > June fantasy BotM: Draykon

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
Congrats to Charlotte for pulling out a close on this month. Everyone enjoy this month's BotM starting with the amazing cover of the book.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert (valdieron) | 108 comments I better get cracking and finish Cadman's Gambit so I can start on this one!! Grats Charlotte.

message 3: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte English (charlotteenglish) | 24 comments I have just noticed this, thanks for selecting Draykon as this month's BotM!

In the interests of facilitating reading, I'll point out that you can read this in its entirety for free on your phone or pc via Wattpad: http://www.wattpad.com/story/884043-d...

Pauline Ross (paulinemross) I'm so glad Draykon won - I read it very recently, and totally enjoyed it, so I'll be watching the comments with interest.

Without giving away too much for those who haven't read it yet - I loved the wonderful descriptions of some of the 'other' places in the book, really beautifully done. There are some great characters too. And - the really memorable part - there's a moment near the end that just blew my mind. Totally.

Enjoy, folks!

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments I've never heard of Wattpad before. Thanks. That seems to be a well-designed app.

I've started reading. Haven't gotten far enough to have an opinion, though.

message 6: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Just finishing up a few other books and then I'll start going on this one.

Wattpad, huh? That's a new one on me, too. Will have to check it out. Problem is, I don't typically read books on my pc. I will either have them on my iPad or else a paperback copy.

Either way, thanks for letting us know about Wattpad, Charlotte!

message 7: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I really liked the fact that the main character had issues with social anxiety. Strangely enough it made her much easier to relate to for me as I share the condition. The gems really have an interesting history as well.

message 8: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte English (charlotteenglish) | 24 comments @Steve and Jeffrey - no problem. Wattpad isn't ideal for all but it has definite advantages, or so I've found.

@Pauline - thanks for sharing thoughts, it's nice to hear that the descriptions (and the ending!) work really well for some. Which characters did you like best?

@Scott - so do I, is the secret (...) truth. I've never come across any characters in books that I could relate to on that score (I'm sure there are others, I just haven't stumbled over them). So I wanted to write someone who has the challenge of overcoming that. I'm glad it was enjoyable for you!

message 9: by Pauline (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pauline Ross (paulinemross) Charlotte wrote: "@Pauline - thanks for sharing thoughts, it's nice to hear that the descriptions (and the ending!) work really well for some. Which characters did you like best?"

I liked Devary, actually. A man with a mysterious past, who's not creepy - yes, I liked that. I actually had this whole theory going about him, that he was secretly Llandry's father and that was why he was so interested in her, and why her mother felt comfortable leaving Llandry with him. Any time I start speculating about a character - that's when I know I'm hooked!

I also liked Eva's long-suffering fiance (name escapes me), and the young sorcerer (hmm, his name escapes me, too - I'm bad with names).

Of the main characters, I liked Llandry and her parents. Eva - not so much. Not that I disliked her, at all, but I just didn't feel the same interest in her.

ETA: forgot to mention - some of the creatures are characters in their own right, that was cool!

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments Figured I should check in. I'm currently in Chapter 7. I like how the istore stone situation is developing. It's rather intriguing. I have to echo Pauline's sentiment about Eva. I'm not feeling her. I think, in my case, it's because her reputation doesn't quite line up with her actions and narration.

Anyway, I like where the book is going, even if I haven't gotten too far.

Elizabeth I'm nearly half way through. I love Charlotte's smooth clean descriptions of everything. It's so consistent its easy to sink in to the story with out being distracted by word choice. I adore Llan especially of all the characters. She's so overly aware of those around her which I think contributes to her dear awkwardness. I really really want her to feel better about herself!

I also understand the apparent duality of Eva and believe if we're picking up on it as inconsistency of character it's only because her own cross purposes are both effectively presented. Her status has given her a job she could have earned very easily on her own and she has the bearing of nobility yet her simple easy relationship with poor Meesa and the young woman she was before duty took her comes just as naturally to her. She seems to move smoothly between both aspects of her inner self.

I'm harbouring a small amount of mistrust for Dev and Trin so far as well and hope to be rewarded by either seeing it eloquently proven out or gracefully blindsided with proof of their good natures!

message 12: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
Have started Draykon. So far so good!

Tricia Kristufek | 32 comments This is a great read! I just recently finished out the series. I agree with the points Elizabeth made about both Llandry and Eva. The descriptions and character growth really make the story!

Elizabeth I just finished Draykon and absolutely loved it! Charlotte's smooth and flowing style is completely engaging to the point this book became a visual experience for me. I've left reviews on iBooks Canada, Amazon.com, Goodreads, and stars at Kobobooks.com (since they show Goodreads reviews.

message 15: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree with the smooth flow of the book being a major bonus. The descriptions of the worlds were fantastic and I can't wait to get to reading the rest of the series.

So normal question, who would you choose as actors for the major players in this book?

message 16: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte English (charlotteenglish) | 24 comments @Elizabeth - quite right about Eva, she's a conflicted woman at the beginning, torn between obligations and her real wishes. Thanks for the terrific comments and for leaving reviews, tis much appreciated!

@Scott - someone recently suggested Michelle Pfeiffer for Eva which I can definitely see, but me, I have Rachel Weisz more in mind.