The Lost Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Jul 03, 2012 07:51AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Here is the place to ask your questions about the challenge.

General Rules:

◈ A new item will be called every Sunday morning (MST). Each team member must choose a book to read with the item in the story, on the cover or in the title. Once all team members have read the book and posted a short review the team will receive a point for the item. (Please include your date finished and other items with your review)

◈ Only one book may be claimed for each week of the challenge but up to 4 items may be claimed from a book, (one of which must be the item of the week). If a team reads thier books right it is possible to get all 20 items in 5 weeks and win the challenge.

◈ Books must be at least 200 pages or equivilant.

◈ Team size will depend on the amount of people who sign up.

◈ The item list will be posted as soon as I finalize it, you can start looking for books to read for the challenge as soon as it is up, but no reading until the challenge starts.

◈ Only 9 items will be called and the challenge will be over September 2nd.

Here is the link to the spreedsheet to see your teams points.

If you have anyother questions please let me know.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) So can you make recommendations to your group members? Or do we all have to read different books?

message 3: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 3560 comments Mod
How we played last you all can read the same book or different books. It was all up to your team

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) rock on

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Each person will read a book they choose on thier own. You can make suggestions to your team if they need help. You can read different or the same book for the week.

message 6: by Katya (new)

Katya If the book has to be 200 pages or more....can we read two novellas that equal 200 pages that have the same theme to get the point?

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Katya wrote: "If the book has to be 200 pages or more....can we read two novellas that equal 200 pages that have the same theme to get the point?"

Hmmm..... I am kind of torn on that one.

My whole point of putting the page limit on the challenge was while looking through listopia trying to make sure there were a variety of books across genres I came across lots of childrens books. I didn’t think reading the Cat in the Hat by Dr. Suess should count. for a hat book.

I am not really opposed to the novella idea but I see it being hard to track the “extra” points, which makes me lean towards no. Both Novella’s would have to have the same “extra” items to count, which seems complicated.

For now I will say no, if the novellas are in the same book, part of an anthology, yes I would take it. If they are two standalone novellas think it would be too hard.

message 8: by Katya (last edited Jun 01, 2012 06:34PM) (new)

Katya Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Katya wrote: "If the book has to be 200 pages or more....can we read two novellas that equal 200 pages that have the same theme to get the point?"

Hmmm..... I am kind of torn on that one.

My who..."

Okay, can't hurt to ask....just want to know the rules. I read alot of novellas but you are right they would both have to have the same item and be at least 100 pages each. It could get complicated.

message 9: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2053 comments so if the team members read different books how would you score for the team?

will the new item that is posted each sunday be an item from the list you provided?

sorry if i sound dumb, this is my first scavenger so i don't know that i understand yet.

message 10: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Each Sunday I will give you the randomly selected item of the week (from the list of 20 provided). Each person will find a book that fits that item. Once you have read the book, post a little review on your teams thread. Once all the members on the team have posted a review of the book they read I will give the team a point for the item. In your review you will also list out any other items
(3) you came accross while reading the book. I will tally those as well.

No dumb questions Pat. It is much easier to play than to explain.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1209 comments When will we know who our team mate's are?

message 12: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "When will we know who our team mate's are?"

As soon as I hear back from all the players to make sure they are still interested. If I don't hear back from everyone by June 24th I will make up teams without them.

message 13: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2053 comments Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Each Sunday I will give you the randomly selected item of the week (from the list of 20 provided). Each person will find a book that fits that item. Once you have read the book, post a little revie..."

thanks that cleared that up (for me at any rate)

message 14: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Here is the link to the spreedsheet.

I will update points as often as I can and will let you know on the thread where I am updated through.

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) Thanks, Dawn!

message 16: by Katya (new)

Katya Hey Dawn...thanks for the hard work of organizing this. I know it will be alot of fun!

message 17: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2053 comments thanks Dawn --btw GR was having fun this morning and only showed select threads just in case you see messages about that.

message 18: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) You are all welcome. I have had fun making it up. It gives my mind something to really think about besides entertaining the 2 year old.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1209 comments Thank you Dawn! I just know I'm going to have fun with this challenge.

╰⊱♥⊱╮ღ꧁Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie꧂ღ╭⊱♥≺ (mamabear7080) Dawn! If we are halfway through a book on the 1st, does that count, or do we have to start a completely new book?

message 21: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) Quick question, just making sure I understand this right. I know every member of the team has to read a book with the "item of the week" in it in order for the team to get the point.
So lets say during week one you read a book with a knife in it and you take your point for a knife then. Then next week the item of the week is a knife. Does your team get a point for a knife as long as you read another book with a knife in it?

message 22: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) ♥☆♫★♡ Kathy♡bahd gihrl♥♡★ wrote: "Dawn! If we are halfway through a book on the 1st, does that count, or do we have to start a completely new book?"

It has to be a book you start after the item is called.

message 23: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Jenne wrote: "Quick question, just making sure I understand this right. I know every member of the team has to read a book with the "item of the week" in it in order for the team to get the point.
So lets say du..."

Ok, I am sure I am going to jumble this so let me know if it doesn't make sense.

Each player essentially gets 1/6 th of a point for each item. If the item is hat and you read hat, bridge, shoe and knife you get 1/6th point for each of those. hopefully your team will also each get thier 1/6th point for hat and your team has a full point.

So if in a later week an item is called that you already have your 1/6 of a point for, you have two options. You can opt out of reading a book since you already have the point or you read a book with a knife again and you can get credit for other items you have not already found.

Each team member can only earn 1/6th of a point per item. So if you read two knife books it doesn't get you extra points but the other item in the books can help.

You can also only count 1 book a week. Your up to 3 extra items have to be in one book not mutiple books.

message 24: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) Ok that makes perfect since, basically all team members have to find that item before we get a point. Thanks!

message 25: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Right.

╰⊱♥⊱╮ღ꧁Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie꧂ღ╭⊱♥≺ (mamabear7080) Thanks Dawn. Geez I'm glad your running this and not me!!

message 27: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) If I read a book this week and find my item and then an extra 3 items in that book - I'm not done for those items, correct? Does that make sense?

message 28: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) You can be done for those items. Or if one of those extra items get's called later you can read another book with that item to be able to claim other items.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) I have a question- if an item has more than one meaning, for example this weeks- bridge. Obviously a bridge structure counts, but if used in a sentence like 'bridge of the nose' will that count?

message 30: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Yup. Way to think outside the box! It is a "bridge".

message 31: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2053 comments or bridge of a ship?

message 32: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Any definition of a bridge will work.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments Could the Underworld be used as a reference to a bridge between both worlds?

message 34: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Amy ~Lover of Books~ wrote: "Could the Underworld be used as a reference to a bridge between both worlds?"

It would depend on the context. If they actually use the word "bridge" then yes. if it is just refrenced as a place in the middle to connect them, no.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1209 comments Do you consider cementaries as graveyards?

message 36: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Yes, as long as there is more than one person burried there it would count. I found a refrence in my book of "burrial grounds" I was going to count it. I think any area set aside for the burial of living things would count, hallowed ground or not.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1209 comments I've read a couple of books where hallowed ground is separate from a graveyard. I just wanted clarification on this. Thank you!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) I know you said we can do re-reads, but what if we already reviewed it in our first read?

message 39: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Alana (aka ◘Whiplash◘) wrote: "I know you said we can do re-reads, but what if we already reviewed it in our first read?"

Good question. This wasn't made real clear. The intent was that you can re-read an old favorite if you know the item is there.

However, a book can only be used once during this challenge since you can only get 4 items from the book. Even if you re-read it again the next week you probably already collected your 4 items. You can't collect 4 more if you re-read the same book.

message 40: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "I've read a couple of books where hallowed ground is separate from a graveyard. I just wanted clarification on this. Thank you!"

To most people there is a differnece. But for the purpose of our challenge we need it to be vauge or lots of us will have problems finding it.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Wasn't it part of the challenge to review the book? I'm not trying to read it twice during the challenge for more than one 'go' at items, I just mean, previously in the year I read it, reviewed it. If I re-read it during this Scavenger Hunt, do I have to do something special to my already existing review?

message 42: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Sorry I misunderstood. You will need to post your new review in your teams thread. You will need to do a new review not just a link to your old one as your second time through you should pick up on new things or feel diferntly about how the ending is set up, knowing what is coming already or that type of thing.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1209 comments I read several books a week. Here's my question: Can I post reviews for these books for not the main item of the week?

message 44: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Nope. You can claim only one book for each item called. In order for your book to count it has to have the called item in it.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1209 comments Another question what about having read a book the previous week yet know has item for current week?

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Angie, in order to get points this week, you have to read a book with the call item. But since you already claimed tree last week, you don't get more than the 'point' you already earned- BUT by reading a book with the call item for this week, you can claim the 'extra' points for items (not already found in book 1) that are allowed

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) Make sense?

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 1209 comments Yeah it does. Thanks Alana!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) No problem!

message 50: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Thanks, Angie. One more thing to point out is that the book you claim for this week has to have been started after the item was posted.

« previous 1