The Bookends discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
Previous Group Reads > May read: Game of Thrones

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindsay (ltg584) | 478 comments Mod
First up, from http://thespiel.net.

1. Simplest question first, whose story is it?

2. What does the author gain by breaking up the main narrative into 8 different stories?

3. “When you play the Game of Thrones, you either win or you die” Cersei claims early in the novel. There are consequences (often severe and final) when you question or try to claim power. However, the events of the story would seem to show plenty of room for partial victories and less than total defeat. Is a playing a Game of Thrones an all or nothing proposition? OR is the question implied but unasked by the Night Watch equally valid: the only way to really win is not to play?

4. I also wanted to ask a question of my own devising. What kind of connection do you imagine between the direwolves and the children? What does it mean if one of them dies?

message 2: by Lindsay, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2012 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

And now I have found a few precious minutes where the kids are distracted. I will attempt to squeeze in all my answers before they swarm me.
Quick warning: CONTAINS SPOILERS!

1. When I read this question, I though, "Really? Simple?" In what way is this question simple?! While reading, I probably would have said Ned. Then he died. The argument could be made for any of the major characters. Perhaps Jon Snow, for although he is apart from the majority of the events, he has a unique perspective of everything, and is involved in the happenings at the wall - which will obviously be an important part to the series. Daenerys will another of the characters who will be a major player in the series, though was almost neglected by the main plot in this book. You can feel her actions shaping the story.
I would love to hear what everyone else has to say about this one!

2. Third person writing has the obvious benefit of seeing everything and everyone. We are able to follow each of the characters through their experiences, in order to gain the whole story. I love that Martin chose to write in 3rd person limited POV. The reader is given the characters thoughts, feelings and personalities. It fit very well with the story.

3. There's a lot of grey area in this book. There is no right or wrong, win or lose, good or evil. The only character who truly tried to do no wrong, was Ned, and look what happened to him. If he had, however, chosen a little more grey, a little less white, he may have prevented his own demise, and perhaps even that of the King.
I tend to agree about the Night Watch keeping their distance from politics. It seems the only way that they would be able to perform their task - although many of their members are forced there, given no choice. And once a member, they are forbidden to leave. Hardly pure white, right?

4. This was a topic of my own, that I spent a good deal of time thinking about. Were the direwolves meant for the children, sent by the gods, and are they linked in some way? When Lady was killed, it seemed that Sansa lost a part of herself. She seems to have stumbled from her path. I wonder what would have happened to Lady and Sansa, had Lady been allowed to live, when the Lannisters took over King's Landing.
Without Ghost, Jon would have been killed time and time again. Without Grey Wind, Robb would most likely have also been killed. Even separated from Nymeria, Arya still believes in her wolf. Shaggydog obviously protects Dickon, but seems to have also taken on the confused personality of his master. Is the wolf like the child, or the child like the wolf?
So, were the wolves sent to protect them? Lead them? And what will happen to the child if their wolf is killed?

M.L. For numbers 1 & 2, I don't think it's anyone's story in particular. The Lannister machinations are what is driving a lot of the story and everyone is reacting to them. As far as the multiple story lines, I thought they were great, really well balanced, and I did not mind the changing perspectives - you know, sometimes you get attached to one character and don't want to change to another one. That didn't happen here - but in Book 2 it does so I think Martin gave himself a lot of freedom in pursuing his story, but I also think he may have given himself too much.

message 4: by Lindsay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Have you read the whole series? I haven't read past book 1 yet, but will definitely be reading the next book in the near future.

M.L. Just to Book 2 - which I also liked but definitely liked the first one better, he has such great characters and I wanted to see more of them. There is more about the Dire wolves and I love them!

message 6: by Lindsay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Do you watch the series too? I held off watching season 1 until I was finished the first book. Now I'm going to hold off watching season 2 until I'm finished the second book. I hate watching the show/movie before the book! Especially when it follows as closely as these.

M.L. I haven't seen any of them - I should though, they have a good cast. How did you like it?

message 8: by Lindsay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I find they follow the first book quite closely, but since the book is still so fresh in my mind, I find myself thinking, "Well, that's the exact wording from the book," or "the book's scene was so much better". It might be easier to watch after having read a few books, so the show feels... new.