Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

Author Help and Tips > What this folder is about!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca, Group Creator (last edited Jun 08, 2012 10:55PM) (new)

Rebecca Nolan (rnolanauthor) | 396 comments Mod
This folder is about offering help to Authors whether it be an offer of proofreading or maybe something else. Authors can offer tips to other authors also. Plus You can use this folder to ask for help.

message 2: by L.M. (new)

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 176 comments We need a folder where authors can ask for help too.

Example: I'm stuck in blah-ville and don't feel like reading, don't feel like writing, don't feel like doing much of anything really.

I know why. My mom, dad, sister, and 2 of my nephews are coming from Utah tonight and my boyfriend's mom and brother are coming in from California all for my graduation ceremony tomorrow - which I'm totally excited about! But in this moment, and for the next FOUR HOURS, I'm stuck at work, no one will be here until after I get off work, and it's a Friday so work is slow, this day is taking forever and I'm BORED!

lol. Anyone have any suggestions?

message 3: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Rebecca Nolan (rnolanauthor) | 396 comments Mod
L.M. wrote: "We need a folder where authors can ask for help too.

Example: I'm stuck in blah-ville and don't feel like reading, don't feel like writing, don't feel like doing much of anything really.

I know ..."

Oh no! I know how you feel I have family here also. As for suggestions I am stuck, Ugh. I hope people feel like they can ask for help in the folder also!

message 4: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 20 comments Well, the biggest complaint I've seen from people with regard to indie books is grammar/punctuation. Since editing is so expensive, I've started editing for indies at $25 per 100,000 words...which is really cheap; just to help them out. It's not plot or changing sentences around, etc., strictly correcting punctuation/grammar in sentences. If anyone wants some help, send me a private message here on goodreads. ;)

message 5: by Lisa, R2R Admin & Group Creator (new)

Lisa Goldman | 541 comments Mod
Caron wrote: "Well, the biggest complaint I've seen from people with regard to indie books is grammar/punctuation. Since editing is so expensive, I've started editing for indies at $25 per 100,000 words...which ..."

That is really cheap. Thanks Caron!

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Atencio (Michael_Atencio) | 2 comments Lisa wrote: "Caron wrote: "Well, the biggest complaint I've seen from people with regard to indie books is grammar/punctuation. Since editing is so expensive, I've started editing for indies at $25 per 100,000 ..."

Caron, I like that. $25.00 for a novel is great. I'm going to take you up on that with my next book but you should charge $50.00 for 100,000.

message 7: by Michael (last edited Jul 24, 2012 04:16PM) (new)

Michael Atencio (Michael_Atencio) | 2 comments I'm a new author. It took me three months to write my first book and as long editing it. My writing improved significantly but the editing really beat me down. I printed my novel out, read and notated the errors then went back and corrected on the screen. Why? Because I couldn't see the errors until they were printed out. My eyes just scanned right over the mistakes. After printing I caught nearly all of them and the poor grammar to boot. A wow moment.

message 8: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) A long time published author told me that she reads her manuscript backwards to find errors. I guess that's like Jeffrey Michael printing them. I found a lot of errors by converting the Word document to HTML, too. Nothing beats a second pair of eyes, though.

message 9: by Lisa, R2R Admin & Group Creator (new)

Lisa Goldman | 541 comments Mod
Horace wrote: "A long time published author told me that she reads her manuscript backwards to find errors. I guess that's like Jeffrey Michael printing them. I found a lot of errors by converting the Word docu..."
I've try to read my stories backwards too. I definately helps with grammar not so much for problems with plot or story line because you are forced not to look at those things.

message 10: by Horace (new)

Horace Ponii (horacetponii) I guess it is just one more way we should all edit. I read a Cracked.com article "How to Become an Author, in 5 Incredibly Difficult Steps" that said editing was learning to hate yourself one word at a time. There's a lot of truth to that. Anyway, the article is a good one & can be found here:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-to-be...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

wow never thought about reading my work backwards - good tip though. I'm going to try proofreading on the kindle hoping I'll pick up obvious mistakes that way

message 12: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Silverberry (ar_silverberry) | 1 comments Help! Is there a GR librarian in the house, or does anyone know one I can contact? I can't seem to claim two of my books, or combine and then delete duplicate pages of the same edition so the reviews are merged. I've written support, but the answer didn't give me any new insights. Thanks!