Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > The Year of Adventure--2009 is here and begging to be LIVED!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Jan 09, 2009 08:17AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments It's here. A new year. And a new road ahead of us. THIS IS THE ONLY LIVE YOU GET, SO LIVE IT!!! (Just come back here to tell us the tales! hee hee)

In case you missed out on all the brave brave new things we all tried in 2008, check this out:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Edit* Why doesn't the link work? Boooooo!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments So, my 2008 adventures got off to a kicking start, but I sorta fizzled out by December--except for my New Year's trip to the beach with my pals. That ruled!

2009 is going to be my "Year of Fitness." Chubby me is going to the gym (an adventure in and of itself) and I think I'm going to join some rec league sports teams. Or maybe I should say, "sports" teams. I'm thinking of starting my very own kickball team. Sounds like fun, huh? As for some non-athletic adventures, I'm still unemployed, but am doing lots more theatre. It's nice to be back where my heart lies.

So, Chicks, what are you up to this year? This month? This evening? Spill it!

message 3: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments I'm with you, Amanda- this year is my year of fitness as well. I joined a gym toward the end of last year, but found myself getting bored with the same routines. So I've decided that instead of not exercising at all when I get bored, I'm going to try new ways of exercising outside of the gym. For example, today I went to the indoor pool near my house and swam. I am NOT a swimmer and it took a while, but I managed to swim 1,800 yards in an hour and a half :)
2009 is off to a great start!

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli Honestly, 2009 just needs to be a year of being adventurous for me. I feel as if I've holed up inside of myself and found that it was safe and just stayed there. That isn't me though. I'm usually a carefree, go where the wind takes me, fun-loving kind of person and so I'm going to get back to that. I'm going to dig that adventure out of my insides and run with it!! I'll let ya know what happens...... ;)

message 5: by Thauna (new)

Thauna Right now my adventure is blogging more and sharing more of my story there...it's theraputic for me and maybe someday some little thing I say will help someone else or even just make someone smile.

Oh and I'm THINKING about going to a speed dating event in a couple of weeks...that would be a HUGE adventure.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker My adventures for 2009 are it's going to be my year of get healthy and fit and I'm going to lose myself in books the way I used to.

And I want to blog and journal more often. You know, update people on my adventures.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Thauna, anxious to hear about your speed dating adventure!! Go for it, if nothing else I think it would make great 'blogging' material that may be good for a couple laughs and who knows!

message 8: by Holli (new)

Holli I second Cindy's post.....that should be fun!! Let us know how it goes :)

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Hell yeah! Speed date, woman! And bring us back all the gory details!

Journaling more often is a great idea, Lori. I think I'll take a cue from you and do the same. I've been wanting to do it. I just haven't DONE IT. Oy.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Amanda, I'm really bad about remembering to journal on a regular basis. It seems like I only do it when I'm going through some crisis. I'm trying to write my journal so it's interesting when my future kids decide to snoop through my room at my parents' house in the hopes of finding something juicy.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments I've thought about burning some of my old journals for that exact reason. Good lord, I'd be mortified if anyone read some of the stuff in there!!! :)

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker That's what I'm leaning towards. It's not like they'd be missing out on anything because I didn't really record any life events.

message 13: by Hannah (last edited Jan 08, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Thauna, have fun with the speed dating! I wish I could have experienced that just once before I met my hubby. I'm sure it's quite entertaining. ;)

My focus this year is being healthier and more relaxed, journaling more & working on my creative outlets.

message 14: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Hello all. This year for me is graduation year... from college. Sooooo it is also the year of the job hunt. *gack*

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Good luck!!! Is your college helping you out?

message 16: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Thanks! It does have Career Services, but I have yet to go. I think it may have something to do with denial. On the bright side I'm at least looking at job postings online...

message 17: by Amanda (last edited Jan 09, 2009 08:16AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments That's the one thing that gets me miffed about colleges. You pay them all that money so you can get a degree because without one, you can't GET A JOB! But then they don't help you find a job. Bites. I wish the majors/departments would focus on this.

Anyway... What kind of job are you looking for Tahleen? What's your degree in? :)

message 18: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Well my degree is in English, and I have minors in theater and writing. I want to get a job in the publishing industry, or as a proofreader or copy editor somewhere if that doesn't work out. Something to do with books... it's pretty much the only thing I know how to do and can do really well. BUT I'm willing to look at other things too! I'm thinking that if nothing else presents itself, I'll just try to get a full-time job at B&N, since I already work there and have for years.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Move to New York City! (If you're not already there...) Sam French is always hiring. Well, they used to be hiring all the time, so my grapevine has said. Check it out!

message 20: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Thanks! I'm not an NYC girl though... I once said I'd never move there and don't want to break that vow unless it's absolutely necessary. :) I'm closer to Boston anyhow.

message 21: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Teri, thank you! I will take all the advice I can get, and yours is great. :) I probably could have gotten a full-time job at B&N without a degree, but it's only a temporary thing since I want to go to grad school for library science in a year or two, which wouldn't have been possible without my BA. I really appreciate all the support I've gotten on here! :) Thanks again.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tahleen, I agree with Teri and don't settle, even if the job hunt journey is difficult! When you settle it's easier and then so hard to un-settle when you finally realize you want something different! (Bty, NYC, Boston & Chicago are the current 'happening' places in publishing, so if you're close to Boston, put a pic of it on your vision board!)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I forgot to post about myself! Lol!

This month I'm taking stock of myself and my life.

As I think of things to accomplish (in the short term for this Winter or for the long term, in 2009 overall), I'm jotting them down.

I'm also going through the house & organizing what I can and planning to change some things that aren't working. I'm trying to simplify our home as this isn't our permanent destination and we really want to move out of state, maybe this year.

Other than that, I'm not ready to put things down yet - I've got some deeply personal decisions to come to before I do.

message 24: by April (last edited Jan 12, 2009 08:42AM) (new)

April (sallysal) | 25 comments Tahleen, a friend of mine from college is an editor/junior editor or something like that at the Boston Globe. I don't know if that's quite what you're looking for, but I can ask if they've got any open positions. There are a couple of textbook publishing companies just west of Boston. Have you looked into any of those?

My big adventure for 2009 is moving to Germany. I leave February 27th. The biggest thing I am looking forward to is all the traveling I will get to do. But, preparing for the move has been soooooo stressful!!! Ugh. The logistics of getting all of our stuff, and my 85 pound German Shepherd over there is less than enjoyable:-Þ

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Putting your goals on paper is the best thing, Jo! :)

Wow, April. That is a big transition! What's taking you to Germany (if I'm not being too nosy)? :) Good luck with your move!

message 26: by Holli (new)

Holli That sounds like a very exciting adventure for the year April!!

message 27: by April (last edited Jan 13, 2009 06:13AM) (new)

April (sallysal) | 25 comments Hannah, you're not being too nosy :-)

My fiancé is in the Air Force, and he has orders to Spangdahlem Air Force Base in Germany. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun, at least once all the moving stuff is taken care of!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) April, that sounds incredible and best of luck with everything! You'll have to keep us all posted!

message 29: by April (new)

April (sallysal) | 25 comments I will. I plan on taking lots, and lots of pictures!

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Do you have to put your dog in quarantine? That part would kill me. I'd cry every day!!!

message 31: by April (new)

April (sallysal) | 25 comments No, as long as he has all the requirements completed (shots and all) he doesn't have to. I don't think I could handle that! He's my baby!!!

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments Holli wrote: "Honestly, 2009 just needs to be a year of being adventurous for me. I feel as if I've holed up inside of myself and found that it was safe and just stayed there. That isn't me though."

Wow, Holli. I could have written that same thing. In March I moved from the city where I was born and raised to the much, much smaller town where my husband was born and raised. It's the kind of place where everyone knows everyone else and "outsiders" aren't easily accepted. Making new friends has been a struggle so I've become really introverted.

The biggest adventure my husband and I have planned for 2009 is getting pregnant and having our first child, hopefully both within this year.

The other thing I've decided to do involves facing my HUGE fear of failure. I'm submitting my application today and requesting materials to become a certified Nutrition & Wellness Consultant. I'm not sure exactly what this will lead to in the future. My ultimate goal is to help others, but I think if nothing else I can learn a lot to benefit myself.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Good for you Katie! Best of luck on all counts!

message 34: by Holli (last edited Jan 14, 2009 10:50AM) (new)

Holli Katie....hey the first step is recognizing we're becoming introverts right? lol I wish you lots of luck with your new career path and also with your new personal path to become a mom. You'll do great!!

I see you don't live too far away from me....where did you move from? I moved to Columbus from California a year ago when my boyfriend was transferred here and I finally have just now started making friends. It was so difficult before I met all these new ladies....I thought I would die of boredom here!!

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) Holli, I won't let you die of boredom! I'm so happy you did move here and I met you - it makes me get out of the house! LOL

I know how hard it is to make friends in a new city. I found that joining things that interested me helped. Taking classes, joining groups, etc. I've met some pretty awesome people over the last 4 years here, but it did take some time!

message 36: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks Kristen.....you are such a great friend to have! Its so nice to know that I can count on you to join me in my crazy adventures around town. It helps that we both love to watch movies, eat good food, and shop/window shop.

:)

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments Holli - I was born and raised in Springfield which is where I still work. Now I live in a teeny tiny village between Chillicothe and Washington C.H. with a population of around 1,000. My adjustment has been more size of the town than geographical. I can't imaging how different Ohio is from California, especially today when we're having such lovely weather. :)

message 38: by Holli (last edited Jan 14, 2009 12:57PM) (new)

Holli This place sucks Katie (weather wise anyway!! lol) but I'm surviving. I've not been to any of those towns but I know the general area you are in. I grew up in a huge town in Central Cali to move to a very tiny mt town of 2000 people in Northern CA when i was 15. It was horrible at first and was a HUGE adjustment so I know how you feel. At least I was a kid still and adjusted easier. I can't imagine doing that as an adult. I feel for ya!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) We only moved 13 miles south of our old place & that was a huge adjustment for me so I can only imagine what it's going to be like when we move again, this time out of state! (We're going to start actively looking after we come back from a nephew's wedding in Texas Valentine's weekend).

It's very easy to become a homebody! Especially when your health is unpredictable or you have limitations, like I do. But it's also easy to get stuck in that way of life & hard to get out of.

It can be done & I know ya'll can do it and be better for it!

message 40: by April (new)

April (contusions96) My big adventures this year... Well I'm graduating college in May and will start looking for a new job. Also, I begin training to be a CASA volunteer on Thursday so that should be interesting!

"CASA volunteers are appointed by judges to watch over and advocate for abused and neglected children, to make sure they don’t get lost in the overburdened legal and social service system or languish in an inappropriate group or foster home. They stay with each case until it is closed, and the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. For many abused children, their CASA volunteer will be the one constant adult presence—the one adult who cares only for them." from www.nationalcasa.org

message 41: by Holli (new)

Holli Wow April...that's an extraordinary service you will be providing to those children. I think that is an extremely commendable thing you are doing!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's incredible April! I tried to leave a comment on your blog earlier but Blogger was acting up again!

message 43: by April (new)

April (contusions96) Thanks guys! I'm so excited. I've been wanting to do it for years and now its finally a good time to start.

message 44: by April (new)

April (sallysal) | 25 comments April, that is so wonderful! What a huge difference you will make in their lives! Awesome.
Congrats in advance on graduating!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments 2009 is going to be a weird one for me..i can already tell. good..but weird. I just graduated from college in December..so i am now unemployed and finding a job. This will really be my first "real" job..if i can ever find one. I used to babysit alot and was a nanny for 2 amazing autistic children for about 5 years. So..my first adventure is the job search! it's been pretty disheartening but a learning experience i suppose. Another thing is that I've been wanting to go to fashion school and i was planning on heading out to LA..but my boyfriend's father got diagnosed with ALS(Lou Gehrig's) and i just can't bear the thought of leaving him during this time..especially knowing what it feels like to lose a parent so young. so..i decided on NYC..but this is going to be such a scary but amazing adventure for me..i've always lived very close to home..and even though NYC isn't too far away..it's alot further away than my college was and i will know absolutely NOBODY! hmm..so those are just a few of the adventures that will come in 2009! Hopefully there will be many more!

message 46: by Holli (new)

Holli You are going to have the time of your life Jamie...just wait!! ;)

message 47: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 91 comments My big adventure so far: my dh & I went downhill skiing yesterday, something we had not done for 27 years! We had a really fun time! But, my, oh my, the leg muscles are screaming at me today! That never happened in our twenties.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Ok, so I officially started my adventure for 2009 this week. I have been wanting to apply for a doctoral program... I started my application this week...... and I must say that these essays are killing me!!!!

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I've decided that this weekend, I'm not going home, I'm staying at college to get my homework done and then make some decisions and changes. This whole hardly getting to read routine is *so* not working for me. Once I get a routine down, my homework won't take as long and I'll get to have more exciting adventures than figuring out a new system. In other words, my big weekend adventure is hermiting this weekend.

message 50: by Thauna (new)

Thauna Update...speed dating didn't happen. The day before the event I checked at there were only 6 people registered and I would bet money that 4 of them were women (as was the last time I considered going). Oh well. Anyone know a funny, cute single guy 40ish who likes cute, chubby girls??? haha

« previous 1