The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 25.5 - Stacie MI's task: Even More Fun With Holidays!!

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 12, 2012 05:03PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17872 comments Mod
Stacie MI’s Task: Even More Fun With Holidays!!

Who doesn’t love a fun reason to celebrate and summer is the best time to do that!

For this task, you will read TWO books. Pick two of the options below and read a book for each.

Required: Please state the options you chose when you post.

1. Forgiveness Day falls on June 26th. Celebrate by attempting to forgive a book that did you wrong. Reread any book that you rated 2 stars or less on Goodreads.
Required: The book must appear on your “Read” shelf on your Goodreads page.
Optional: Let us know if you feel the same way about the book (rated it the same way), or if you have decided to let bygones be bygones and forgive it.

2. Hug Holiday falls on June 29th. Celebrate by hugging a loved one and reading a book with two people embracing on the cover.
Required: Please post a link to the cover of your book.

3. International Joke Day falls on July 1st. Celebrate by laughing and reading a funny book. Humor must appear on the book’s main Goodreads page!

4. Compliment Your Mirror Day falls on July 3rd. Celebrate by looking in the mirror and read what you see! Read a book with someone on the cover who shares one of your personal attributes, either your hair color or eye color. For example, I have dark brown hair and green eyes, so I could read a book with a cover that has someone with brown hair or someone with green eyes (or both!).
Required: Tell which attribute you are matching and post a link to the cover of your book when you post.

5. Wiggle Your Toes Day falls on August 6th. Celebrate by reading a book where feet are visible on the cover. The toes need not be visible and the feet need not be of the human variety.
Required: Post a link to the cover of your book when you post.

6. Just Because Day falls on August 27th. Celebrate by reading any book you desire, just because!

message 2: by Stacie (last edited Jul 29, 2012 05:19PM) (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Approved for 2:
The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James
Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) by Suzanne Brockmann
Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward
The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton
Cancelled (Book 1 of The Red Ink Collection) by Elizabeth Ann West

Approved for 3:
The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002

Approved for 4:
Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry (opposite sex okay)
Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Approved for 5:
A Road Through the Mountains by Elizabeth McGregor The Birth House by Ami McKay

message 3: by Stacie (last edited Jun 02, 2012 05:41PM) (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Not approved:

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17872 comments Mod
This thread is open!

message 5: by Dee (last edited May 30, 2012 05:14PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments good task stacie...I always like Just Because Day ;) but wish it could occur more often, just because

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Great tasks--
Just Because day falls on my birthday!
Great Day! Ha! Ha!

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Is this enough of an embrace?

Thanks

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments so i'm assuming if a book is on my started-not-finished (which is my version of my DNF) then it won't work...

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments For option 5, can the feet be in shoes as in this cover?
A Road Through the Mountains by Elizabeth McGregor

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Kathy G. wrote: "The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Thanks"

Yes, I think that is enough of an embrace

message 11: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Dee wrote: "so i'm assuming if a book is on my started-not-finished (which is my version of my DNF) then it won't work..."

I would prefer if the book fell on your "Read" shelf.

(And to be honest, I did not know that you could have books on your shelf that are not listed as "Read" or "To-Read!" You learn something new every day!)

message 12: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Connie wrote: "For option 5, can the feet be in shoes as in this cover?
A Road Through the Mountains by Elizabeth McGregor"

Yes, the feet can be in shoes

message 13: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments I was thinking of The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002 for option 3, which is listed as humor on 5 peoples' shelves. I wasn't sure if there was a rule for how many people needed to have it shelved?

Also, for option 4, I was thinking of reading Rot & Ruin as the boy on the cover and I both have green eyes. :) Just checking whether the person on the cover needs to be the same gender or not.

Excellent task! :D

message 14: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Stacie wrote: "Dee wrote: "so i'm assuming if a book is on my started-not-finished (which is my version of my DNF) then it won't work..."

(And to be honest..."

Yep all you have to do is make it an exclusive shelf and it will show up with your "read", "to-read", and "currently-reading" shelves. I have one for my wishlist myself. :)

message 15: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments me too,I have a wishlist one, i have a DNF one and a bunch of others for groups - oh well...I never finished reading it, so it isn't on my "read" shelf, so i'll just use 2 other options

★Meghan★ wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Dee wrote: "so i'm assuming if a book is on my started-not-finished (which is my version of my DNF) then it won't work..."

(A..."

message 17: by mstan (last edited May 31, 2012 04:36AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments I have black hair. Can I read this for option 4? Wonder by R.J. Palacio

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Randi wrote: "I was thinking of The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002 for option 3, which is listed as humor on 5 peoples' shelves. I wasn't sure if there was a rule for how many people needed to have it sh..."

Yes to both! As long as humor is on the main page you're golden. As for option 4, the gender of the person you're matching does not matter, as long as the attribute is the same.

message 19: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James

Is this enough of an embrace?"

Yes, that will work

message 20: by Stacie (last edited May 31, 2012 04:46AM) (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments mstan wrote: "I have black hair. Can I read this for option 4?"

Yes, that will work

message 21: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Dee wrote: "me too,I have a wishlist one, i have a DNF one and a bunch of others for groups - oh well...I never finished reading it, so it isn't on my "read" shelf, so i'll just use 2 other options

★Meghan★ w..."

★Meghan★ wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Dee wrote: "so i'm assuming if a book is on my started-not-finished (which is my version of my DNF) then it won't work..."

(A..."

Thanks for the info ladies! May just have to make my own wish-list list! (Try saying that five times fast!)

message 22: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Stacie wrote: "Randi wrote: "I was thinking of The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002 for option 3, which is listed as humor on 5 peoples' shelves. I wasn't sure if there was a rule for how many people needed..."

Thanks, Stacie! :)

message 23: by Deanna (last edited Jun 01, 2012 10:31PM) (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Is this enough of an embrace for option 2? They look like they are walking arm in arm.

Over the Edge by Suzanne Brockmann

message 24: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments The Birth House by Ami McKay is this ok for option 5?

message 25: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 590 comments In reference to option #4 (mirror day)can it be someone on the cover wearing glasses as I do?

message 26: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Deanna wrote: "Is this enough of an embrace for option 2? They look like they are walking arm in arm.

Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) by Suzanne Brockmann"

Kind of hard to see, but I'll accept it.

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Aleksandra wrote: "The Birth House by Ami McKay is this ok for option 5?"

That will work!

message 28: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Lindy-Lane wrote: "In reference to option #4 (mirror day)can it be someone on the cover wearing glasses as I do?"

No, only hair color and eye color are acceptable.

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Will this work for an embrace? Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Thanks!

message 30: by Fran (last edited Jun 13, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Fran | 736 comments mstan wrote: "I have black hair. Can I read this for option 4? Wonder by R.J. Palacio

mstan, I loved this book :)

message 31: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Maggie wrote: "Will this work for an embrace? Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Thanks!"

That will work

message 32: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Fran wrote: "mstan wrote: "I have black hair. Can I read this for option 4? State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

mstan, I loved this book :)"

Awesome - I'm looking forward to reading it!

message 33: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 218 comments From the approved examples, I'm guessing this book would be okay for an embrace, but figure it never hurts to confirm. Will this work for an embrace?

The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton

message 34: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Suzanne wrote: "From the approved examples, I'm guessing this book would be okay for an embrace, but figure it never hurts to confirm. Will this work for an embrace?

The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton"

Yes, that will work

message 35: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 218 comments Stacie wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "From the approved examples, I'm guessing this book would be okay for an embrace, but figure it never hurts to confirm. Will this work for an embrace?

[bookcover:The Moonflower Vin..."

Thank you Stacie!

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments Does Cancelled (Book 1 of The Red Ink Collection) by Elizabeth Ann West work for option 2?

message 37: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Dee wrote: "Does The Complete Adventures of Curious George (CANCELLED) 70th Anniversary Edition by Margret Rey work for option 2?"

Yes, that will work

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16196 comments Mod
Stacie wrote: "Dee wrote: "Does The Complete Adventures of Curious George (CANCELLED) 70th Anniversary Edition by Margret Rey work for option 2?"

Yes, that will work"

Wow - now THAT is one interesting substitution of covers!

message 39: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Sandy wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Dee wrote: "Does The Complete Adventures of Curious George (CANCELLED) 70th Anniversary Edition by Margret Rey work for option 2?"

Yes, that will work"

Wow - now THAT is one interesting substitution of covers!"

That's what I was thinking! Too funny to try to fix it!

message 40: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7692 comments Seriously....lol ;)

message 41: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Does Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward work for Option 2? It's kinda an embrace, kinda a bite... So, I'm not sure. Thanks!

message 42: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Stesse wrote: "Does Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward work for Option 2? It's kinda an embrace, kinda a bite... So, I'm not sure. Thanks!"

Forget it - just saw previous post. moving too fast. Apologies.

message 43: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Stesse wrote: "Stesse wrote: "Does Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward work for Option 2? It's kinda an embrace, kinda a bite... So, I'm not sure. Thanks!"

Forget it - just saw previous post. moving too fast. Apologies."

Looks like I need to get that one and a few others added to the approved post. I'm slacking!