The Sword and Laser discussion

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
This topic is about Leviathan Wakes
Questions for James S. A. Corey (Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
Hey all,

Next video show (June 8th) we'll be joined by Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham to talk about their joint collaboration as James S. A. Corey.

They wrote Leviathan Wakes as the first of three planned novels science fiction novels in a series called The Expanse. Leviathan Wakes was nominated for the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Novel and the 2012 Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel.

So what do you want to ask them? Ask!!

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Ceres is important in Leviathan Wakes. Was this on purpose to help people get over Pluto not being a planet?
Are you on Team "Ceres"?

Have you gotten any email complaints from Mormons about what you did to their generation ship?

Tamahome | 6255 comments Is Daniel Abraham your real name?

terpkristin | 4142 comments What is it like to collaborate on a books like these? How does it work? I know for some collaborations, each author writes different chapters. For others, I've heard that authors literally write everything together, as a sort of a group project. And others where each author writes independently and they take the best of both works and make it into a cohesive story...

How did they decide to start collaborating? Why collaboration?

What are each of their biggest influences in and out of the genre? From GR reviews and poking through Leviathan Wakes, I can take some guesses...(I admit I haven't read LW yet...it's in the queue!!!).

How did they meet?

JRush | 64 comments  How much of the Leviathan Wakes world is built on the foundation of past scifi greats, like Robert Heinlein, and how much comes right out of your/y'all's future looking imagination(s)?

Loved the book and can't wait to read Caliban's War!

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I listened to LW on audio book. A thought occurred to me, I don't remember any animals mentioned. I can come up with a few possible reason such as scarce resources means nothing to spare for dog/cat food. Just seems to me that if you have any permanent type of colonization outside of earth you'd have pets or at least food animals like chickens and cows.

Would belter cats and dogs have physical differences from their earth counter parts just like the humans do? I'd imagine so.

Sorry if this post seems random. Just trying to come up with some questions for T&V since there only seems to be a few given so far and I've actually finished the book.

message 7: by Kev (last edited Jun 03, 2012 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments I absolutely adored LW. I think it might be my favorite SF book from the past few years.

The book features two main story lines (and, really, a 3rd that unites them). Detective Miller's story line, to me, is written in a more "noir" style than Holden's story. What led you to write the two story-lines in different styles?

Will future books in the series feature similar shifts in story-telling style?

(I haven't read Caliban's War yet, though I'm hoping to soon!)

--Kev

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Had I remembered, I should have asked you to ask them to humm the theme to "Misko and Marisko".